Umfang - Against the Clock

General Chat // Music Discussion
JARHEAD
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: Umfang - Against the Clock

Post by JARHEAD »

I have to agree, I watched this and I thought it was very underwhelming..

Personally I don't follow her however I have noticed her name along with volvox etc.. so I was excited and expecting to hear at least some kind of basic electro/noise style beat..

Not sure what to make of it now to be honest..
Maybe she has been DJing for a while and now just starts to learn her way? who knows..

But its generally the same old story when watching against the clock the past while... I think that's why the comment section on youtube started to be removed as people were being ridiculed?

Total respect to people who have the integrity for transparency tho!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I guess the problem is both the program peeps not really communicating well with the artist, but also the artist agreeing to do it and basically trying to blag it, rather than turn it down and lose the promotion opportunity.

I`m pretty sure if we said "Subsekt challenge, make a video of you working for 10 mins, no retakes" in the production section, every single person who does it, at the very least, will end up with a coherent beat or melody or something, at the very least, more than likely there would be a few "wow" surprises too.

I don`t think we are being hard on this girl, this was genuinely garbage.

Sometimes overhype gets revealed, and the reality slips through the cracks, so in a way I take this video as a positive.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

JARHEAD
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by JARHEAD »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm
I guess the problem is both the program peeps not really communicating well with the artist, but also the artist agreeing to do it and basically trying to blag it, rather than turn it down and lose the promotion opportunity.

I`m pretty sure if we said "Subsekt challenge, make a video of you working for 10 mins, no retakes" in the production section, every single person who does it, at the very least, will end up with a coherent beat or melody or something, at the very least, more than likely there would be a few "wow" surprises too.

Sometimes overhype gets revealed, and the reality slips through the cracks, so in a way I take this video as a positive.
Yeah I agree man!
Its not a good look and the trade off is definitely not worth it unless you have your shit together.
There are some amazing episodes though, I love watching those! and just generally in awe of some peoples set ups and how it all works, i always think wonder what i can do if that was me there with that stuff ... the stuff of dreams haha

Yeah its an all too common theme these days... overhype being revealed... or the headliners desperately clambering to keep their spot...
I find it interesting watching the career/business type relationships/ help me make products i will get you work / behind the scenes shit
smoke and mirrors and shadey red pill'esque vibes .. some is so blatant.. its a crazy dynamic , blabbering on.. like

But in the end your right, there is always a positive lesson to learn... For those with eyes to see and ears to hear.

Id love to take part in a Subsekt 10 min challenge by the way.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

I don't know the artist, so, can't say much.

But, tbh, 10 minutes and a camera filming, i think i would get stressed and do some garbage aswell.

Edit : she was not just "stressed". She looks like discovering her own machines.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

She clearly don't know her machines in full umfang.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hm. I've got some self-conscious vibes from this. Especially in the part where she talks about the jam. Like she wasn't comfy at all. Maybe with this format, the limitation, no idea.

Given the coverage FACT has, it poses a number of interesting questions:

When does somebody reach a level of skills and "own way" enough to be deemed as artist? Or at which point is one an artist, really?
Isn't it encouraging to see somebody not excel in this setting? Should FACT only showcase the most amazing sessions? How should that be rated?

I'm not sure about the music I heard from her either, it's not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, IF she wasn't comfy with the outcome etc I'm giving credits for the balls of putting this out. Knowing how the internet might react to it.

Not sure what to make of this, really.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Well that was strange... . I must admid I didn't know of her existence before this ATC episode, but that's the only plus about it.
It looks like she isn't familiar with the setup she has. I didn't notice any flow in the way she works (especially the drum machine).

Personally I find sitting down to jam with gear a bit to static. Jammin needs to be a music and dancing exercise :mrgreen:.

pafavag
sad bastard

Post by pafavag »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm

But wasn’t there such a thread already? I remember sitting down with a stopwatch and comming up with something I was too embarassed to post. I didn’t save it and I don’t remember the effect exactly but definetely it wasn’t any better than that umfang’s piece. Fortunately there was noone with a camera there to put it on youtube afterwards.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Pelecaras wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:48 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 pm

she`s a throw-shit-at-the-wall and hope something ends up looking like a portrait kind of producer.
Just push buttons and move things and hope at some point it becomes coherent/vaguely usable.
That's my production skills in a nutshell right there. :lol:
Do you mean there's another way?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

pafavag wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:54 pm
I remember sitting down with a stopwatch and comming up with something I was too embarassed to post. I didn’t save it and I don’t remember the effect exactly but definetely it wasn’t any better than that umfang’s piece. Fortunately there was noone with a camera there to put it on youtube afterwards.
So, knowing that, would you agree to go on Fuctmag and do an against the clock?
New Shit

pafavag
sad bastard

Post by pafavag »

If I were an established producer and had enough balls then definetely. But don’t mind me. When you made up that example with a metal band guitarist I thought I’d definetely like to see such a video.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

pafavag wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm
If I were an established producer

That wasn`t the question though.
New Shit

pafavag
sad bastard

Post by pafavag »

I thought the question was rethorical since I said I was already too embarassed to post it here.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

pafavag wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm
I thought the question was rethorical since I said I was already too embarassed to post it here.
There you go.

Maybe we should do another 10 min vid challenge
New Shit

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
She may have been forced to do it by Blush Responce :lol: :lol: :lol:

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 pm
Maybe we should do another 10 min vid challenge
Sounds like fun. It seems to me that producing something substantial in ten minutes is a situation for one to rely on their knowledge of music theory which seems to be lacking in electronic music junkies. This would be the deciding difference between them and a guitar player in a rock band. Well, even if the guitar player doesn't technically know theory, he still recognizes patterns through experience so I'll write that off as theory. I guess what I'm trying to say is it would do somebody a great service to learn a few things about music if one is going to be making music!

I thought this video was a joke and people wonder why I don't want to leave the house.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Masari wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
New Shit

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 pm
Masari wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
"AIDS, I GOT AIDS"
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

It's shite. I expect to be underwhelmed by most things these days and am rarely disappointed

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

ross-alexander wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm
It's shite. I expect to be underwhelmed by most things these days and am rarely disappointed
qft