Vorlis - Capsule Tracks

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Vorlis
hunger marcher
Vorlis - Capsule Tracks

Post by Vorlis »

A couple of live recordings from the HD. Recorded in stereo using the Machinedrum, Analog Four, RNC and EFX8.

Wrench is a short edit of an old jam, last one deffo dragged on a bit lol and the other I can’t even remember recording fs :shock:

Really need to pick up a new soundcard to get these bitches multitracked from now on. More control over elements after the jam is deffo needed. Looking at a bass EQ pedal for the sidechain filter on the RNC that should help a bit.

Cheers lads!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Vorlis - Capsule Tracks

Post by dubdub »

The mixes are alright in terms of frequency balance but they both sound kind of overly dense and constrained and somewhat smashed dynamically, nothing is really sounding open or breathing.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

I like Vascular Tension a lot mate, especially these drones, how did u to them with ? Analog Four i guess ?
I also like ur kick/sub, really fat and groovy !

I agree with dubdub, it's sounding 'not open', no big deal, why not stereoize the track more ?
Anyway, i like it !

I would not say anything on Wrench coz is just not my thing.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Well, Wrench is definitely my thing, cracking track. Get it finished!

I agree on opening things up, feels like my breathing's too shallow when I'm listening.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 am
Well, Wrench is definitely my thing, cracking track. Get it finished!

I agree on opening things up, feels like my breathing's too shallow when I'm listening.
100% on this. If you could fix the mix, un-mono the things in the middle, then this will be fucking great.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

vascular tension has a really nice haunting and pacing groove, great! although the main drone is getting a bit too much after some time for me.
it just needs some filtering and more modulation.
wrench is also great, you really have your style nailed down.
I can only add what the others already said, mix sounds a bit constrained.
I think if you can multitrack the tracks into the daw and edit them there with eq, compresssion (i assume you use hardware only?)
it will be obvious what to change and these will be release ready tracks.
congratulations!

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Thanks for the feedback lads! Yea i am just using hardware atm. I must of over cooked the 2buss with the RNC when recording, so there’s no going back with that ffs. As for being to dense and centred how would y’all suggest widening these stereo mixes, Mid-side EQ and push the sides nice and wide?

I’ve got a new soundcard ordered and machines filled with stuff ready to track, hopefully by multitracking from now on I can open these mixes up and breathe a bit of live into em. 100% I’ll be less heavy handed with any dynamic effects used while tracking as there’s no going back fs!

Cheers for helping me focus on the issues lads, very much appreciated! I’ll dig out the projects and see if I did anything in post overly destructive.

zarkas
beast

Post by zarkas »

over9000 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 am

it will be obvious what to change and these will be release ready tracks.
congratulations!
I was actually thinking the same, why has this guy not released it? it sounds easily as something that could be release by Mord for example.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Vorlis wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm
As for being to dense and centred how would y’all suggest widening these stereo mixes, Mid-side EQ and push the sides nice and wide?
I don't know if there would be something destructive to it but I got this idea reading your question. Duplicate the whole thing in the daw and make one channel only mid and the other only sides. Now maybe add some spatial processing just to the side and maybe boost it a bit. Voila
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Good work, really impressed that it came out of a couple of boxes only.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Peak track! love it, i think snare could be a bit louder from 1 minute, is sounds quite dull needs more clarity, really love groove you made with it! Well track has some and at the end synths need a bit of fix, it's just get's straight to the face, however in overall is decent track love it1

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

0dd wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:57 am
Vorlis wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm
As for being to dense and centred how would y’all suggest widening these stereo mixes, Mid-side EQ and push the sides nice and wide?
I don't know if there would be something destructive to it but I got this idea reading your question. Duplicate the whole thing in the daw and make one channel only mid and the other only sides. Now maybe add some spatial processing just to the side and maybe boost it a bit. Voila
Cheers odd! I’ll give that a whirl, was trying m/s EQ on the stereo channel only but ended up with a very tight margin for improvement. I’ll split the track up and look at em as separates.

Thanks for the feedback lads!