This mix, explain please?!

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Dust Layer
leper
Re: This mix, explain please?!

Post by Dust Layer »

I listened again to this track, fuck i simply hate it.

Not only the sound but the composition the melody everything.
I wish i will never hear stuff like this at a party, thanks.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Senko wrote:How did this even get released.. Fucking piss take.
Exactly.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

What I like here is that someone has had the balls to do. It sounds like shit, (just played it on my system downstairs and not on my phone this time) I have set out to make lofi tracks before (to some of you I do all the time eh lol) and don't have the guts to carry it out.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

A few people here need to get off of their high horses here. Fuck creativity and doing something innovative, right? Who cares if it sounds different, that's the point. Obviously XL thought there was something of merit to release this, and I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of what is/isn't good music.

Also this would be effective on a club system just because of the presence of the low end, tested it on my system and can confirm that the basses are quite smooth.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah I really dont get what people are hearing but this sounds absolutely fine on my mastering rig, it will translate well to the club.
I think people are confusing style and tone with production level. (a bit like when barfunkel could never get his head around the fact that you can have well produced "raw" tunes and bad produced "raw" tunes).

This is a well produced "raw" tune.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:(a bit like when barfunkel could never get his head around the fact that you can have well produced "raw" tunes and bad produced "raw" tunes).
Yes, I'm of course I'm an imbesil.

I just have a bit different view of what's a well produced raw record than you. Something you can't wrap your head around, apparently. People have different tastes and opinions you know? Music isn't math, there are very few records that 100% of people would call well produced.

Good sounding raw records would be stuff like:

Steve Poindexter - Work That Mutha Fucka (sounds great in a club)
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (Kinda sounds like ass, but it's the right kind of ass and the production suits the music and the mood)
Public Energy - Three 'O Three (probably my favorite 303 track and again sounds great in a club)

Bad sounding raw records would be stuff like most of the L.I.E.S. catalogue, sounds mostly just some vanilla house tracks with distortion slapped on the 2-bus. Also most modern "industrial techno" records, for the same reason.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I totally understand that it's well produced and mixed.

Have you seen the short film Kung Fury? It's produced in a vhs 80s style. It's a piss take that works as long as youre in on it.

As an outsider, the production of the film is shit.

Isn't this the same case, some like it, some hate it.

As for being on a high horse, are people not allowed to express an opinion, when the subject matter is entirely subjective, that something is shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Barfunkel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:(a bit like when barfunkel could never get his head around the fact that you can have well produced "raw" tunes and bad produced "raw" tunes).
Yes, I'm of course I'm an imbesil.

I just have a bit different view of what's a well produced raw record than you. Something you can't wrap your head around, apparently. People have different tastes and opinions you know? Music isn't math, there are very few records that 100% of people would call well produced.

Good sounding raw records would be stuff like:

Steve Poindexter - Work That Mutha Fucka (sounds great in a club)
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (Kinda sounds like ass, but it's the right kind of ass and the production suits the music and the mood)
Public Energy - Three 'O Three (probably my favorite 303 track and again sounds great in a club)

Bad sounding raw records would be stuff like most of the L.I.E.S. catalogue, sounds mostly just some vanilla house tracks with distortion slapped on the 2-bus. Also most modern "industrial techno" records, for the same reason.

Well produced is well produced.
Well produced simply means the balance will translate with little alteration to as many different systems as possible.
I know that goes over your head, but you will get it one day.
If you studied some mastering you would probably understand what I am talking about a little more clearly.

Basically a well produced raw tune woukd get to the mastering engineer, and he would say "yeah this is well balanced and will work everywhere, I don't need to do anything here".

And a bad produced raw tune would get to an engineer and he would say "hmmm well this might sound ok on a bass heavy hi fi, but it will sound weak on a club soundsystem and headphones, I need to make some balance corrections".

Let me let you in to a little secret.
ALL music is like that :o regardless of genre or tone or rawness or slickness or whatever.
Because

Wait for it...
Good production is good production :o :o
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:I totally understand that it's well produced and mixed.

Have you seen the short film Kung Fury? It's produced in a vhs 80s style. It's a piss take that works as long as youre in on it.

As an outsider, the production of the film is shit.

Isn't this the same case, some like it, some hate it.

As for being on a high horse, are people not allowed to express an opinion, when the subject matter is entirely subjective, that something is shit
Kung fury is the greatest film ever made
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Well produced simply means the balance will translate with little alteration to as many different systems as possible.
If you studied some mastering you would probably understand what I am talking about a little more clearly.

Basically a well produced raw tune woukd get to the mastering engineer, and he would say "yeah this is well balanced and will work everywhere, I don't need to do anything here".

And a bad produced raw tune would get to an engineer and he would say "hmmm well this might sound ok on a bass heavy hi fi, but it will sound weak on a club soundsystem and headphones, I need to make some balance corrections".

ALL music is like that :o regardless of genre or tone or rawness or slickness or whatever.
Because

Wait for it...
If that's true and there is zero room for taste or opinion in deciding whether something is good production, who or what defines what is well produced and what translates well? Some council? What if people disagree whether something is well produced?
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Kung Fury is fucking epic.

Triceracop alone had me in stitched.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Barfunkel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Because

Wait for it...
If that's true and there is zero room for taste or opinion in deciding whether something is good production, who or what defines what is well produced and what translates well? Some council? What if people disagree whether something is well produced?
No council. Just your car's stereo, your Hi-Fi, your mp3 player, your kitchen radio and your favorite club rig.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Barfunkel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Because

Wait for it...
And that question shows you still don't get it, so let's just end this conversation.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:Kung Fury is fucking epic.

Triceracop alone had me in stitched.
Tricerocop was the first this is awesome moment for me.
Then the t rex shooting lasers.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Dolorum wrote:A few people here need to get off of their high horses here. Fuck creativity and doing something innovative, right? Who cares if it sounds different, that's the point. Obviously XL thought there was something of merit to release this, and I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of what is/isn't good music.

Also this would be effective on a club system just because of the presence of the low end, tested it on my system and can confirm that the basses are quite smooth.
What makes you think XL (whoever that is) have a good idea of music? Music is subjective like any other art form. Maybe you're the one who should get off some horse shit just because there are people not buying latest techno trends.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I like the tune, I wouldn't go so far as to say its innovative in any way at all.
No one is on their high horse, this is a discussion forum, and this is a discussion.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I didn't even listen to the track but from what I've read so far I already have in mind how it sounds. I'll listen when home from the lake to see if I was right.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Dolorum wrote:A few people here need to get off of their high horses here. Fuck creativity and doing something innovative, right? Who cares if it sounds different, that's the point. Obviously XL thought there was something of merit to release this, and I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of what is/isn't good music.

It's a very subjective matter. XL having a good idea of what is and isn't good music? Subjective.

With that being said and saving time on the spiel of "music taste is purely opinionated", and it is, but fucks sake... first bar of a hip-hop sample looped till the nuts and bolts fall off and a sylenth chord seizure that could've been written by a toddler....??? I can't see how that can impress anyone.

you know music is like a hit of the next best drug. You have to keep upping the dosage to get the same high. Once you've heard something really good, it's really difficult to find the same magic in other music.

Anyways, track is cheese.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Council? It's fissiks, innit?! Sky-ints ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

And music is actually maths.
New Shit