Reverb

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Johnlad
quasi-public
Re: Reverb

Post by Johnlad »

Mattias wrote:The Redline one is great indeed. Thing is its dangerous...you try the demo for 60 days and suddenly you realize you have it on all your new tracks and must buy it when the evaluation is out! Hehe
Haha..... Yeah they got me me that way :lol:

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

My goto reverbs the last while are Valhalla UberMod and D16 Toraverb. I have a few others but mostly revert to them out of laziness! I also have a QuadraVerb and Zoom 1204 that are very cool sometimes for flavour, just running things out and in through the desk and the noise the signal acquires can be just whats needed, to un-digtalize things.

Again this is if I'm not feeling lazy! The UberMod has kind of kept me in the box way more since I got it.

The one trick I like is using experimental IR's in Space Designer, especially tempo based ones, it can work wonders on percussion and loops, there's a few included with Logic too.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

lahj
broke

Post by lahj »

heh, ive got a quadraverb as well, amazing for the big, lush afx/warp reverbs. Also got a 1204 funnily enough but not used for years and does wierd things (!)

Ive also got a kurzweil rumour, beutiful sounding box, but i tend to use more for the more mad fx, lazerverb etc. Im all OTB now.

I used to have the UAD cards and the Plate is the best software reverb ive ever used by a loooooooong shot.

Cheers, Ben

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

msl wrote:My goto reverbs the last while are Valhalla UberMod and D16 Toraverb.

edit..........

The one trick I like is using experimental IR's in Space Designer

Toraverb seems to be unsung. I bought it and love it.
In general there's not enough fx reverbs available. They all sound too good, too mainstream.

There are a lot of great, free IR's for Space Designer around the web. I have quite a few, from sampled spring reverbs to weird spaces, like small chapels and offices, car parks etc. I'm not using Logic right now so mine are gathering dust.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I just never liked the reverbs in Logic. I'm all for grit, but they always sounded too lo-fi and grainy to me.

Really liked the enverb as a crazy effect. Fucking crazy, envelope, reverse reverb thing. Nasty.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

diacope
Petty

Post by diacope »

Abletons Reverb and Altiverb for me. Reverbs, along with compressors, really do define your work and it's important you understand them and don't be afraid to mess around with them as they can make or break your tracks very easily.

lahj
broke

Post by lahj »

my most useful tip for setting reverb levels is turn it down to just the point when you cant hear it, then turn it back up a tiny smidge.

Overly loud reverb is a common mistake and it will only be dragged upwards when track is compressed/limited at mastering stage.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

True that Lahj.

I often make a plate style reverb for hats, as an insert, with a % wet.. and take the decay down to next to fuck all.

I did think that big reverb automatically meant that you had to dial in LOTS of reverb.. but like you said that.. 100% - the comp / mastering pulls everything up. Need to be mindful that what you are doing is what you want.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ste
Jan : )

Post by ste »

is it silly when i say d16 once again? d16!
toraverb for dark atmos and ableton verb for simple spatial tasks for me. nothing else needed

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

Hmm, dont get me wrong on this, i love Ableton and everything that comes with it, but i cant get rid of the listening session i had in a professional studio a week or 2 ago. On the testing table was Ableton's built in reverb and the Lexicon PCM suite. Monitored on an Equator system, and the AB reverb sounded horrible. I see a lot of people use it ( including me ) but i heard what I heard that evening and the Lexicon suite sounded bright, crispy and overall fantastic... I'm starting to wonder if it was me, or am I missing something here ?

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

In the end i think its very personal when it comes to loving a sound or not. I never really looked into other reverbs then ableton's default reverb. I like it, i can get the sound that i want.
Ofcourse there are shitty reverbs out there, but i find it hard to define when something is better or not. In the end it all comes down on how you combine the FX with the sounds you are using.

Gonna look into the lexicon though :)
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

ste
Jan : )

Post by ste »

you are right in general... but using ableton rev as send an add a little eq makes it really good for Standard rev tasks (room).

for bigger characteristic stuff i use toraverb. and back when i worked with acvoustic Instruments i used a folding reverb and uad lexicon. there are differences but a lot is pre/post reverb eq

lahj
broke

Post by lahj »

a good tip for increasing space while not reducing clarity is to increase the pre-delay. You can often reduce the main rt parameter and still achieve the same sense of space.

lahj
broke

Post by lahj »

oh and High pass the fucker too.

kodebreakerpaul
Face Hugger

Post by kodebreakerpaul »

I have a few different reverbs that I like to use. I recently downloaded the Eventide blackhole plugin which has quite a unique sound. The reverbs sound like huge spaces and have massive presence - not very subtle at all. From the UA range the EMT100 has a very distinct sound - metallic vibrations but with quite a large presence if turned up.

At the other end of the scale I really liked and purchased the lexicon vintage plate - seemed to be the best to my ears but that said I don't use it that often. I did try the TC4000 in hardware and whilst it was really easy to use I didn't like the sound that much.

I've just purchased an Eventide Eclipse and the H3000 plugin but cannot comment on those yet as they're still quite new to me. I'll happily share my thoughts at a later stage though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

ARiFF wrote:Hmm, dont get me wrong on this, i love Ableton and everything that comes with it, but i cant get rid of the listening session i had in a professional studio a week or 2 ago. On the testing table was Ableton's built in reverb and the Lexicon PCM suite. Monitored on an Equator system, and the AB reverb sounded horrible. I see a lot of people use it ( including me ) but i heard what I heard that evening and the Lexicon suite sounded bright, crispy and overall fantastic... I'm starting to wonder if it was me, or am I missing something here ?
Ableton reverb is great, only if you understand how to use it, I mean really understand it.
The presets are gash, it is very much about bespoke each and every time.

Quite hard to compare with the lexicon, which is based on ancient tried and tested presets.

There is stuff the Ableton reverb can do that you simply can't with the lexicon, the abe reverb is more creative and the fine tuning is just excellent.

Lexicon verb is a sound your ears are so used to, having heard that lexicon sound all your life on loads of music, as the lexicon sound has been used in big commercial studios on stuff for years.

I use both, best of both worlds.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

loopdon
beast

Post by loopdon »

The Valhalla Verbs ( i own room) are getting lots of praise.
They are very affordable and the programmer is both
very knowledgeable and a gentleman.

Would the FL Studio Standard verb be good enough - hell yes.
Would i/ anyone even be able to tell in an entire mix - perhaps.
But even if - does it matter?

One thing i wouldn't have thought i'd say, is
that all the tools mean nothing without the person operating it.

It is actually somewhat ridiculous to think more
about the tools than the job at hand. About the how and
not the final goal.

Imagine a carpenter etc. constantly reevaluation the choice of tools,
constantly ordering catalogs containing the newest tools.

Imagine a cook how thinks he will only do a good job if he has this or that
pan. This spice, that book.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't - from time to time- ask yourself,
if your ways of doing/goals are still valid, improvable but don't
for fucks sake let fear get the better of you.

hasezwei
Little chief

Post by hasezwei »

i don't really get toraverb
my roommate is happy with the presets but i can't seem to get the sounds i want out of it.

used to love native instrument's reflektor and kontakts IR's but i'm considering switching to the valhalladsp stuff, as of now i'm loving reaktor's space master 2 and spring tank ensembles

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

hasezwei wrote:i don't really get toraverb
yeah, me too... I like it for unorganic sounds, but i really struggle to get natural sounds out of it. Vallhalla on the other hand sounds awesome on everything... the mpreverb in Renoise is my goto reverb though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Another great reverb I like is Airwalker by minimal systems.
http://minimalsystem.com/Store/index.ph ... duct_id=52
Analog modelled.
Nice vintage sound, great for every day. Cheap too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.