Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Post by Críoch »

I was gonna make a joke earlier but after making a few obvious jokes recently I figured it was time to let other people have their moment in the spotlight.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Dead End Dance
fake

Post by Dead End Dance »

My tip of the day for anyone who is new to room acoustics, but interested in improving their room, is to go ahead and buy a cheap omnidirectional mic and learn to use Room EQ Wizard (which is free). It's pretty illuminating seeing how much things change when you move your monitors or your listening positions just by 10cm. So it's possible to get some pretty decent improvement without building anything, just by moving your shit around (but of course up to a point and it's still necessary to treat your room). For example, yesterday I discovered that I can tame a nasty null around 120Hz by about 10db simply by keeping the door to my room open. Who woulda thunk? And the only way to discover shit like that is by doing A/B testing, which REW makes pretty easy.

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

My space doesn't have a door. I think it's the only thing stopping the leakage of cerebral matter from my ears when the monitors are working hard.

RE: my question of alternative materials ignored above. It seems there are alternatives, but they're wildly expensive and I doubt I could fashion such a thing (and I'm good w/ my hands) >

youtu.be/6jHmi_ILM0k

I've tried (and failed) to DL room EQ wizard - the process is tortuous.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I was talking about using carbon in this thread.

It`s actually pretty cheap, this is pretty much what I am doing for my own bass traps.

Each box will have a rear layer of rockwool, then a resonator panel, then a layer of activated charcoal, then another resonator panel in front of that.

I`ve talked to a few engineers and apparently this should really help me lock down all the sub 150 stuff, cos rockwool alone eats shit in this area.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Room Wizard - Should do that I guess.

Charcoal - Interesting. Will look into it more to understand.

I made a couple of these panels - The rectangular type. They're cool.

Before I make any more I want to attack the bass in the corners. Whats the best way (bar using martian charcoal & abletons resonator..) ?

Those square / rectangular constructions? or something like this from GS? RW cut into triangles & stacked behind a screen.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-tr ... traps.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

With charcoal pellets it`s down to a high surface area of the pellets and a relatively good weight to allow them to vibrate.
To remove low frequency you don`t really want density and rigidity, you want something that can move to allow the energy to be converted from sound to heat via motion.
Same with resonator panels essentially, it`s the movement that sucks the energy from the bass waves.
Rockwool or owens and corning just doesn`t have the properties required to suck out that sub 150-200 stuff unless you are dealing with meters of the stuff in terms of thickness.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I wish my room was bigger. Quite limited.

TBH.. I'm thinking I've probably done enough & monitoring a lower volumes / headphones are where its realistically at.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

that`s it, if you don`t really blast your levels it is easier to deal with.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Each box will have a rear layer of rockwool, then a resonator panel, then a layer of activated charcoal, then another resonator panel in front of that.

Please define resonator panel and how it sits within the construction.

ICN wrote:I wish my room was bigger. Quite limited.
What are the dimensions?

Mine are

3.15m long
2.07m high
2.05m wide

I believe this translates as utterly fucked ...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ONE wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Please define resonator panel and how it sits within the construction.

ICN wrote:I wish my room was bigger. Quite limited.
What are the dimensions?

Mine are

3.15m long
2.07m high
2.05m wide

I believe this translates as utterly fucked ...
The panel will sit fixed inside routed slots, I will be using peg board as the resonator panel material as I was advised.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

I'm encouraged: this is sounding less complex than I thought.

Can you provide a url (or whatever) for your proposed source of carbon balls, please.

Is this a product that fits the bill? Or are there more specific requirements?

Must they be spherical?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The problem with the pellets is they tend to be hard compressed, and not as porous and have a lower surface area to weight ratio

I`m looking at 2.5mm or better diameter.

I still need to speak to people here in the uk to find a good supplier.

There are plenty of places on alibaba but the minimum orders are all way too high.

It`s worth looking into stuff like sumiballs for koi ponds, you can get 6lbs of that for around 25 quid.

when I find a decent source in the uk, or europe, I`ll document it in the project stuff when I post it all online.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

I'm not sure it's worth buying sumi balls. They are covered in ceramic. I'm no expert, but I don't recall hearing the words ceramic and absorption used in the same sentence.

Yeah, alibaba is ludicrous. To hell w/ buying it by the tonne. If only I'd known earlier: I was in Hong Kong late last year. There's nothing money cannot buy in Hong Kong.

Come to mention it, if you get nowhere in Europe, I have contacts in the East I can exploit.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The ceramic is in a lattice and prevents the charcoal from grinding down to dust, it is still porous, still has a high surface area. This was what I was pointed to initially by a guy here in london I spoke to who does treatment for big studios here in london.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Stand corrected; good to know, thanks.

Just a question of finding them in the right size: all the balls I've seen today are between marble and double marble - and look like only a Star Destroyer making the jump to light speed would create enough energy to shift that mass.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah, way too big.
I'm looking for a supplier in the UK or broker, that deals with water filtration, as they tend to use 1.5 mm and above. 2.5 is optimum.
New Shit