layering kicks / tuning percussion

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Hepta
I Love YOU!!!
Re: Tuned Percussion hits

Post by Hepta »

It's far from accurate but heres an example made with Operator. The oscillators is slightly different in waverform settings etc but you get the idea. :)

https://clyp.it/ebma4ww0

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

all i can hear is that fucking reverb on the kick.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

arkos
Re: layering kicks / tuning percussion

Post by arkos »

Hello all, been lurking here for a while great forum btw. I´m really digging frequency shifting percussion, hats, rides and snare's/clap's. It can even sound nice on some kick's. Sometimes when pitching more then +-1 +-3 semitones in a sampler I find the sound starts to get really artificial, mostly when pitching up though.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Lost to the Void wrote:Here`s a simple example, makes more sense once you have a whole mix though.

This is just simple 909 and bassline.

1st loop everything is flat, untuned.

2nd Loop everything is in the same key as bassline.

All settings are the same otherwise.

"2nd one responds to the buss compression much more nicely

https://archive.org/download/DrumTuneTe ... neTest.wav
seriously i prefer the 1st one there
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

Yeah, I know the 1st is out of tune, but i like it. I will say the 2nd sounds more energetic and driving to my ears, I suppose that's the compression working better?

I always tune by drums. I may just stop doing that now. Thanks Steve!
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Using a 909 was a shitty example looking back, our ears are so used to those fucking sounds, but I really can`t be fucked to do a proper comparison of something more complex with tuned and untuned drums as I do everything by ear on my own projects.

When I mix down other peoples work I sometimes have to retune elements that don`t fit. Some people just don`t notice.
That`s the thing about techno, there`s purposeful dissonance, and ignorant dissonance.
It`s a good genre for the tone deaf.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

Hepta wrote:It's far from accurate but heres an example made with Operator. The oscillators is slightly different in waverform settings etc but you get the idea. :)

https://clyp.it/ebma4ww0

Nice one mate, yeah sound is different but I guess you can reach it by fucking around with the operator oscillators till you get a more metallic percussive noise

aediorum
washable

Post by aediorum »

I typically do it the other way round! So I'll always start with making a beat, typically kick first. I usually always layer two kicks for the main kick and find a sweet spot where it sounds fattest - this might be B#4 or even sometimes as low as F3 (start note being C4) - and have a separate kick which offsets the main one for the purpose of carving out dat deep groove, which isn't layered and is (usually) pitched slightly higher than the main kick. Once the beat's main elements have been programmed, I'll get my bassline going. Usually I'll mute the drums in order to do this, find a nice pitch / sweet spot where it sounds fattest for the sound I'm using, un-mute the percs and see if it sounds right. Usually I'll have to change the key of the bassline a little, though usually the root note is fine for some reason. I guess my brain remembers the pitch of the kick and takes it into account when programming the bassline... Or maybe it's just a happy accident!

Layering kicks and tuning them really shouldn't be labour intensive, if it sounds right it sounds right. Though I can't speak for people who are tone deaf (no disrespect, you can still make great tunes!) since I am quite lucky in the sense that I can feel when something is awry with my tuning / pitch.

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

aediorum wrote:Layering kicks and tuning them really shouldn't be labour intensive, if it sounds right it sounds right.
+++

My experiences led me to a conclusion, that we-live in the past-sample era of beats (But it heavily depends on the genre of the music - i was having modern, deep-driven, spatial techno in mind). The level of production is very high, and there are two choices to achieve that kind of results: solid hardware (elektron, virus, tempest, jomox or modular systems) or really good vst synthesizers/drum machines (i mean really good).

its my opinion and i know that i'll be punished for my ignorance (yeah, Steve, i know).

Not melting samples anymore, it just wont give you that kind of sound (unless you're looking for heavily synthetic sounds). I just use quality outputs from Reaktor.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

krypt wrote: I just use quality outputs from Reaktor.

what instruments/ensembles/whatever do you use for drums in Reaktor? i just recently got a legit version and have started to read the manual as i had played about with it a couple of years ago but couldn't get my head around it.

i have looked through the stock ensembles and some from the user library, but i haven't found anything exciting in regards to drums, or a kick synth.

aediorum
washable

Post by aediorum »

Just had a thought actually, in regards to pitching kicks. Once you've got your kicks pitched, you can include out-of-key kicks to offset the beat. It can create a nice effect when used tastefully. Think of it in terms of a jazz tune; a lot of the time it's the out-of-key parts of a melody which cause those goosebump moments!

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Or just buy some hardware, Jomox Mbrane 11, Boss PC2, Synare, Vermona DRM1, Tempest, etc...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

krypt wrote:
aediorum wrote:Layering kicks and tuning them really shouldn't be labour intensive, if it sounds right it sounds right.
+++

My experiences led me to a conclusion, that we-live in the past-sample era of beats (But it heavily depends on the genre of the music - i was having modern, deep-driven, spatial techno in mind). The level of production is very high, and there are two choices to achieve that kind of results: solid hardware (elektron, virus, tempest, jomox or modular systems) or really good vst synthesizers/drum machines (i mean really good).

its my opinion and i know that i'll be punished for my ignorance (yeah, Steve, i know).

Not melting samples anymore, it just wont give you that kind of sound (unless you're looking for heavily synthetic sounds). I just use quality outputs from Reaktor.
I was going to say we are looong beyond synthesis and now beyond "conventional" sampling. It`s more of a synergy at the moment, well, the good stuff, not the boring berlin droning stuff, more electro-acoustic, more acousmatic (look it up) sound. Pure synthetic stuff is just so retrograde, but straight up samples aren`t enough, some combination, re-synthesis, where you have the harmonic complexity and texture of "real" sampled sounds, but the controllability of synthesis, combined with more creative methods at the initial sampling stage, ie don`t sample a snare drum, sample a snare drum coated in syrup and on fire on the back of a 1930`s german military half-track.

Basically, like anything, it`s not what you use, but how you use it.

Be creative.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

vazinho
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by vazinho »

I've yet to download it myself, but Ableton 9.2 was released yesterday, and it comes with a new Tuner device. Has anyone given this a try with tuning kicks/percussion/banjo?

vazinho
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by vazinho »

vazinho wrote:I've yet to download it myself, but Ableton 9.2 was released yesterday, and it comes with a new Tuner device. Has anyone given this a try with tuning kicks/percussion/banjo?
I just remembered I came across this video a short while back. The guy shows how to tune a drum kick with the Tuner device In the beta release of Ableton 9.2.

youtu.be/TQvLzFb-GBA

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

vazinho wrote:I've yet to download it myself, but Ableton 9.2 was released yesterday, and it comes with a new Tuner device. Has anyone given this a try with tuning kicks/percussion/banjo?
Yeah, it works reasonably well, but as it moves quickly it's best to cross reference it with a spectrum analyser which can have it's speed changed.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Esh wrote:Nice one mate, yeah sound is different but I guess you can reach it by fucking around with the operator oscillators till you get a more metallic percussive noise
Yes exactly mate. This was made really fast and sounds very synthesised in comparison.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Just had a quick listen and of all Abletons synths, I'd reach for Collision first to generate something similar.

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

nice one dude. still trying to work it out. Reaching something close but still sounds a bit lame. Thats how it goes though, ill keep going at it.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »