First hard synth ideas?

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: First hard synth ideas?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alume wrote:The pro 2 will be going on my 'list for synths in the future' right now i cant cough of that kind of money.

I've been offered a minibrute for 350 euro's, I've been scanning ebay and 2nd hand sites, but cant really seem to find the price of a second hand minibrute. Is everybody just keeping them or what?
If it is a minibrute and not a microbrute, I would say for that price, grab it, you definitely will not regret it.
When I sold mine EVERYONE who found out basically said WTF.

It is a great little synth with a big sound, some lovely (full) features, a rare Steiner Parker multimode filter and even at full price is an incredible bargain.
It's lots of fun, and most of all, it's extremely usable (I loved the brute factor control), both in terms of physically playing with the thing, and actually fitting the noises it makes in to tracks.

I've got a double vinyl EP coming out this year and it is full of minibrute madness.

So why did I sell mine I already hear you ask?

Because I'm a freak, and I am not really into synths that sound recognisably like a synthesiser any more. It is no reflection on the synth itself. Everything that is great about it, in sound terms, is essentially what I just don't want from sound generation any more.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Alume wrote:The pro 2 will be going on my 'list for synths in the future' right now i cant cough of that kind of money.

I've been offered a minibrute for 350 euro's, I've been scanning ebay and 2nd hand sites, but cant really seem to find the price of a second hand minibrute. Is everybody just keeping them or what?
If it is a minibrute and not a microbrute, I would say for that price, grab it, you definitely will not regret it.
When I sold mine EVERYONE who found out basically said WTF.

It is a great little synth with a big sound, some lovely (full) features, a rare Steiner Parker multimode filter and even at full price is an incredible bargain.
It's lots of fun, and most of all, it's extremely usable (I loved the brute factor control), both in terms of physically playing with the thing, and actually fitting the noises it makes in to tracks.

I've got a double vinyl EP coming out this year and it is full of minibrute madness.

So why did I sell mine I already hear you ask?

Because I'm a freak, and I am not really into synths that sound recognisably like a synthesiser any more. It is no reflection on the synth itself. Everything that is great about it, in sound terms, is essentially what I just don't want from sound generation any more.
Yeah its a Mini. You convinced me, Hades already did, but thanks to you its final and I'll send the guy an email.

I can understand your choice, the core of the sound is used over and over again and might not give the sounds that your looking for.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear your minibrute madness. Might aswell buy the EP if I like it:)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It's not really about the core being overused, there are plenty of possibilities just with the minibrute itself to generate exciting fresh noises.
I've just been playing with synths since I was a young lad, and I want something different, which is why I've been making my own electro acoustic things, and home made effects, and just bought a lovely new electric guitar, I'm going through a big musical change at the moment.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Wow thats cool, is the different method changing your sounds just as much? I mean dramatically, because naturally everyones sound changes over the years.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It is changing my sound dramatically yes. My whole approach actually. I'm not really making techno very much any more as a result.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Oh wow, well that might be good right? I mean music is music, the only thing that matters is if it sounds good.

Just emailed the guy, he had some pedals aswell, for 365 I'd get the mini+destortion.

I cant resist a some good distortion.

The minibrute doesnt come with the box though. Fucking annoying.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but i'm gonna give it a go anyway.

I'm selling a MicroBrute - here is the listing over at gearslutz:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslut ... te-uk.html

Just put it in the Subsekt classifieds here:
http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4757

UK only, i'm afraid. Will be on eBay on Thursday...

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

Alume wrote:Oh wow, well that might be good right? I mean music is music, the only thing that matters is if it sound good
Uh no. If it's not tool techno it's not music. I'm sick of these techno producers trying to make "music" that's not 4/4 techno. All music needs to be designed to be mixed by a DJ or else what is even the point?

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

mint clad wrote: Uh no. If it's not tool techno it's not music. I'm sick of these techno producers trying to make "music" that's not 4/4 techno. All music needs to be designed to be mixed by a DJ or else what is even the point?
Please tell me that's sarcasm...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

surface wrote:Please tell me that's sarcasm...
My thoughts exactly.

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

I have had my microbrute for a while now, and while I love the sounds it makes and how you can tweak around so much better than with softsynths, I find it hard to be really productive with it. Any tips on how to skip the *I might want to change this sounds so I "can't" export it yet* phase? I'm currently just using it for crunchy basses since that's where I pull most out of it at the moment, as well as some fucked up effects.
FL user - soundcloud: Ferramus

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

surface wrote:
mint clad wrote: Uh no. If it's not tool techno it's not music. I'm sick of these techno producers trying to make "music" that's not 4/4 techno. All music needs to be designed to be mixed by a DJ or else what is even the point?
I'm Dead Serious Bitch

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

mint clad wrote:
surface wrote:
I'm Dead Serious Bitch
i dont think that is true. it would be extremely boring if it was. some of the best tracks i have were difficult to mix, i just had more respect for the dj's that can pull it off ;)

anyway, just use the sync button
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

mint clad wrote:
surface wrote:
I'm Dead Serious Bitch
Fair enough...

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

ferramus wrote:Any tips on how to skip the *I might want to change this sounds so I "can't" export it yet* phase?
I think everyone goes through this phase, I'm still growing out of it myself. The reality is that anytime you turn the micro brute, or anything external on, you should also make sure you are recording in your DAW. Then you can fuck around to your hearts delight and then playback your recording music later. You also need to accept the permanence of the recorded sound and that's also very difficult when you work in the box a lot and don't do a lot of resampling.

In order to get myself to do this more often I try to define what it is I'm trying to do - that being "trying" to be a one man music producer. Forgo the idea of defining a producer, when you are a one man show, you are also everything below the producer, which includes the musicians and the recording and mix engineers. It's the musicians job to create music, the recording engineers job to record that music and the mix engineers job to make all the disparate musical parts come together.

If I'm doing all those jobs somewhat correctly than it follows that I, as a musician, should play the instruments and I, as the recording engineer, should record that music, then I as the producer and mix engineer can blend that into something.

In regards to the permanence of the recording, it's really just something we all need to let go of. Think of how many times you didn't record something that you were just playing around with simply because you didn't think that you were creating something worthwhile (just noodling about). Just hit record, don't worry about needing to modify things later, even if you do want to modify it later, you can still do so much to the already recorded sound - sampling, eq, fx, resample back into a synth etc. etc. I hate looking back on all the cool shit I didn't record, simply because I either didn't bother setting it up or I was too lazy to hit a button.

Drive space is cheap, sampling is easy, creating your own source material is the essence of music.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

ferramus wrote:I find it hard to be really productive with it. Any tips on how to skip the *I might want to change this sounds so I "can't" export it yet* phase?
I used to have this problem until I started playing live gigs. You get to allow your stuff to evolve naturally over a period of time, and then by the time you get to sit down in the studio you're more comfortable with it. But be careful, if you go too long you might get sick of the track and find that you can't bring yourself to record it just because you hate it so much.

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

mint clad wrote:But be careful, if you go too long you might get sick of the track and find that you can't bring yourself to record it just because you hate it so much.
Oh I hate everything I make, I'm used to that haha.
Perfectionism combined with lazyness is a hard way of living.

I did record a bassline in a project I'm working on now and it doesn't really make sense why I kept that in a pattern, it's perfectly fine as a recording. I think I've just been used to working with patterns so much that I'm scared of audio recordings.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

With my Micro I used to take photos of the patch with my phone every time I made a change I liked.

This was enough to quickly be able to dial it back in if I preferred a previous sound.

Now I have a BSII I just hit the "save" button and select an empty preset!

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

When I was looking up microbrute reviews they did bring up that you can't save patches, and I was like "That's cool, I'll get so good I can make them on the spot, no problem."
Yeah, no. It's going to sound different.

Apart from that, love the machine, the price was just too good. So happy I didn't get a fucking Slim Phatty when I first started looking for synths.

But on the pictures with phone for settings, that would be good if I didn't get flooded with pictures through whatsapp groups I'm in. Also, my phone is one of those with an integrated memory card, loading time about equal to a millennium.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

You can turn off auto-download from within Whatsapp usually.

What I did was take a photo and email it to myself "patch 5 July 5th track" and then drop the photo into the tracks folder.

Also, buy a Class 10 memory card, they're like 7 quid or something and reet quick!