How much does Techno owe to E?

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
How much does Techno owe to E?

Post by jordanneke »

Yo fellow cunts....

Just wondering on your thoughts... Would techno/house scene have be become the billion dollar industry it is today if it hadn't been 'invented' at the same time as E becoming popular?

What the fuck would we all be listening to if E never took off?

Would we all be listening to hip-hop? Would Berghain and Fabric be thrash metal clubs? Would DnB have come about?

Just wondering is all.....?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How much does Techno owe to E?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Dance music would never have become the phenomenon it is without the summers of love and the mama that fuelled them.
A lot of techno people like to brush it all under the carpet or even look down on it, but
All dance music owes a lot to illicit narcotics.

Mental innit?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yeah, it's fucking mental. The entire industry and a large part of the night time economy is all down to pills. We make music and build huge buildings, charge entry fees, just so people can take pills. (which they aren't allowed to do)

I think it's really interesting to look how dance styles changed too.

With Disco it seemed to be whirling around peacock dancing, probably due to all the coke.

Fast forward 15 years, it's people doing tetchy repetitive movements to 4/4 kicks, just the sort of movement that speed type drugs give you.

What the fuck would the scene be like without mdma?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I think for most people its pure escapism. Though personally I dont need drugs anymore to escape, just music now.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

It was never about drugs for me. I've been drug free for like 12 years now. Even when I was going out to raves and stuff I only dabbled a few times. It really was, and still is, all about the music for me. A great tune could always stir something inside me that gave me the energy. That and sugary drinks.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Wiu wrote:It was never about drugs for me. I've been drug free for like 12 years now. Even when I was going out to raves and stuff I only dabbled a few times. It really was, and still is, all about the music for me. A great tune could always stir something inside me that gave me the energy. That and sugary drinks.
Yeah, but you're probably in a minority.

If no-one took drugs or invented E, there probably wouldn't be any Techno to dance to.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Well it certainly kept people going and therefor the extended nights / days of dancing. Everything is in such symbiosis with each-other so it must have had a lot of effect for our scene.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

It always annoys me a bit when people bring up drugs and electronic music. As if rockers or punks or hip hoppers or whatever are all straight edge. The fact is, there are drugs in every scene. Not just in music, but everywhere. For some reason people always single out people into electronic music. Very annoying.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Wiu wrote:It was never about drugs for me. Even when I was going out to raves and stuff I only dabbled a few times. It really was, and still is, all about the music for me.
Same here. Stacey Pullen said it best. "If you need drugs then you really aren't about the music..."
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I never took anything for my first 6-7 years of raving to DnB. It was just all about vibes. But I relaxed my stance upon my switch to Techno. I do think that pills/MDMA (when good) are the perfect fit for this music.
Partying feels more stamina based, going on for longer, and much more sociable.
DnB in London was more about going parting with your crew, and maybe dancing off against other crews. But it had an underlying moodiness. Techno defo does not have that.

Although it's much more mixed now drug-wise. I still think the spirit of E is still present in Techno at least. In 2010 when I went to a party by myself. I then ended up on a 3 day session meeting many of the rave buddies who are still good mates now.

Also I would say good pills/MDMA make you wanna dance. I'm no drug expert, but from what I've seen no other seems to have such a positive affect.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Barfunkel wrote:It always annoys me a bit when people bring up drugs and electronic music. As if rockers or punks or hip hoppers or whatever are all straight edge. The fact is, there are drugs in every scene. Not just in music, but everywhere. For some reason people always single out people into electronic music. Very annoying.
I wasn't trying to say that all people who listen to techno take drugs, but a specific drug in particular - MDMA, I think is the reason the scene even exists in the first place.

Would thousands of people be dancing to repetitive music for hours on end, without the specific responses that MDMA triggers?

Would a few weird detroit nerds who used a 303 in a wrong way be able to start a global phenomenon without the influences of MDMA?

Would it all exist without MDMA?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

How much does Techno owe to E ? ...A LOT....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Let's also remember it's also the other way around hahaha
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think from a particularly uk perspective, ecstacy created the dance scene.

It provided empathy, energy, and that open-ness (and of course enhancement) to and of the music to a whole swathe of people who`s night out clubbing was chasing birds dancing around hand bags to pop music, drinking loads, and then having a fight afterwards.

It took the violence from the football terraces.

It brought everyone together (that`s why they call it the summer of love), there was dance music, and there was people dancing. At a time of division it took black and white, metal head, chav, football hooligan, nerd etc all together, hugging each other, having long conversations, post party philosophy.

It`s why the government stepped on it.

None of that would have happened without ecstacy.

And that wave ran all through the 90`s, then it slowly faded as the components of ecstacy were harder to find, and new shittier analogs turned up.
People turned to coke (still so much coke at dance parties, fucking horrible, yay lets make everyone at the party in to an asshole), and evern worse, ketamine.

I`m mostly a sober guy now, bar my quarterly psychedelic experiences to scrub my brain clean, but I fully accept that none of this would have happened if it weren`t for mdma.

Hunter S Thompson captured it well when talking about the 60`s
There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

I think the spirit of rave is almost gone from clubland now. The unity, the underlying culture of questioning things. Now we have selfies on the dancefloor, clubs with 3 rooms of nothing but techno etc. It seems a little more cynical, a lot less "loving", more money driven, more business-ey and corportate.

There will be no more summers of love...
New Shit

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I've no idea about the early days bar what I have heard or what was going on early in detroit, chicago, europe etc. Here though yeah it wouldn't have reached this magnitude were it not for certain additives haha. I'd been going out now and again for a while before trying anything like that but I don't think it's a negative thing at all, never have done. I still think a lot of people would benefit from it as a chemical along with hallucinogens, not that it will ever be encouraged or admitted. Only ever be unofficially tolerated here in the UK.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It all exploded out of disco and warehouse parties In the states right?
They were unbelievably debauched drug parties.
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:It all exploded out of disco and warehouse parties In the states right?
They were unbelievably debauched drug parties.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure that the change in drug precipitated a shift from the excess of disco to the repetitive nature of techno, and the love-in that WAS house.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

jordanneke wrote:
Wiu wrote:It was never about drugs for me. I've been drug free for like 12 years now. Even when I was going out to raves and stuff I only dabbled a few times. It really was, and still is, all about the music for me. A great tune could always stir something inside me that gave me the energy. That and sugary drinks.
Yeah, but you're probably in a minority.

If no-one took drugs or invented E, there probably wouldn't be any Techno to dance to.
Agreed for sure. I'm willing to bet though that most people as they grow older and away from drugs will grow away from Techno (or whatever music the drugs connected them too) as well. For them the two are one. Without one the other needs not exist.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

First memory I have of listening to house music was 2008 when deadmau5 was becoming a thing (I don't give a shit what anyone says, random album title is still a great album!), first started listening to techno maybe around 2010?
When i turned 16 I started to go out and experience the night life stuff. club nights, after sessions, warehouse nights and all that jazz.. Being nearly 20 now, I still have yet to try a yoke (ecstasy,). I don't know if its known as a yoke in other countries apart from Ireland and maybe England, but thats what I call them.
I think i'm past the stage now i've trying one, i've never really been interested in the idea of taking a pill that you haven't a fuckin clue what could be in it. I've heard too many stories about bogey yokes so I stay away from that.
I tried pure mdma though at samhain festival a few months ago for the first time. Best buzz i have ever felt not gonna lie haha but when i took it i didn't even get to see the acts i wanted to see like Rodhad cause i was just off my tits going around having adventures, so if anything the md just took me away from the music which was the sole purpose of why i went haha. It was nice, but I wouldn't make it a habit. I do love my weed now though, but thats another story..
I will say from what i have seen, a lot of the yoked kids going around the techno events i've been to probably don't even know the dj they just paid 22 quid in to see play. Just by looking at them; they way they dress (dressed as if they just came back from Ibiza) and act it just looks like they're out to get fucked.
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Oh yeah, this happened during the week in Ireland. A major fuck up if I do say so! http://www.thejournal.ie/tds-emergency- ... 9-Mar2015/
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!