Headphone help

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
diacope
Petty
Headphone help

Post by diacope »

So, what with Christmas being around the corner and all I'm thinking of getting some new headphones. I've been using DT100's for a stupidly long time. I do pretty much all my mixing on headphones.

So my choices are: DT880s vs. DT990s

I've read the bass in the 990s can be a little too boomy and overpowering, and that the 880s have an 'ok' amount of bass...(never did understand ohms...)

Anybody have any experience with these? Torn between them...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Headphone help

Post by Mono-xID »

i have DT 990-Pro and i love them...got a couple of other Headphones (AKG`s,Audio Technica's) but mostly using the Beyerdynamics...best Headphones for 150 Euros you can get imo...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

pskept
Unfriended

Post by pskept »

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/a ... phones.htm

this talks about one of your choices and some others. hope it helps. i love my beyerdynamics but i only have the 770 pros.

diacope
Petty

Post by diacope »

All helpful!

strawMan
skaghead

Post by strawMan »

I'm currently using the DT880 pros and I adore them. I've listened to a few good cans and speaker systems over the years, and these take the biscuit for the best sound reproduction I've ever heard.
Not very impartial I know...

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I was looking to get a pair of 770's recently until I saw 3 different models - 250, 80 & 32 ohms. When I started searching for differences/pros cons etc between different ohm'age, I started reading about people saying that you should use a dedicated headphone amp to get the best out of them. At this point I got a bit stressy and fucked the whole idea off. Fact is though, my old Sony MDR-V700 DJing headphones while still fine for DJing, really are starting to sound nasty for studio referencing etc.

So if anyone can explain/or just tell me which ohm model I should buy, I'd be grateful ;)
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

mjudge
Pig

Post by mjudge »

Wiu wrote:I was looking to get a pair of 770's recently until I saw 3 different models - 250, 80 & 32 ohms. When I started searching for differences/pros cons etc between different ohm'age, I started reading about people saying that you should use a dedicated headphone amp to get the best out of them. At this point I got a bit stressy and fucked the whole idea off. Fact is though, my old Sony MDR-V700 DJing headphones while still fine for DJing, really are starting to sound nasty for studio referencing etc.

So if anyone can explain/or just tell me which ohm model I should buy, I'd be grateful ;)
From what I gather, higher impedence headphones tend to be more accurate, but if you don't have an amp that properly powers them then you won't get those benefits and you may not get enough volume. That said, I have a pair of K240 600 ohm headphones and my Scarlett interface's output gives me just enough volume, not sure about the accuracy. It's possible you could get away with 250 ohm headphones without a separate amp, depending on your interface -- if so, that'd be my choice.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Excellent! Thanks for the help mjudge :)
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

mjudge
Pig

Post by mjudge »

Wiu wrote:Excellent! Thanks for the help mjudge :)
You bet. I also found this review comparing the DT 880 different impedence models. I imagine it's applicable to the 770 too: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/co ... headphones

melville
fancy woman

Post by melville »

I use a pair of 80ohm Sellout DT250s. Awesome headphones. Over 7 years old now and apart from recently having to replace a driver, they've never failed me. Best thing about Beyers is you can get practically all the parts easily. Both the pairs you mention are great choices. The bass response is kind of subjective. Depends what you prefer. I personally avoid headphones that have too much bottom end as I find it makes you produce stuff thats actually a little light in the low end.

As for the ohm part, basically the lower they are the harder it is for whatever is driving them to, well, drive them. Hence without a headphone amp and a pair of 80 ohm for example, some outputs will struggle to go loud. But thats not always a bad thing in terms of protecting your ears. I chose mine as 80ohm for that exact reason, I work as a live engineer and it certainly saves me getting my ears blasted mid show when you suddenly need to check something and you've not yet set a headphone level!

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong with Beyers IMHO

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I'm gonna throw in a curve ball here.
I would go for the erymotic er4pt
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html
Amazing in ear monitors designed for engineers, each set you buy has been hand tuned by an engineer.
It's what I use, they are stunning.
Cost about £220 over here
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

melville
fancy woman

Post by melville »

Quite a few bands and drummers I work with use those. They are amazing sounding, but don't you find in-ears tire your ears quicker with extended use? I've never used a set of these for long enough to know, but find that with other in-ears. Curious to know if these are any better?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

melville wrote:don't you find in-ears tire your ears quicker with extended use?
wanted to ask the same... :geek:
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

melville wrote: but don't you find in-ears tire your ears quicker with extended use?
Not at all, due to the amazing noise isolation you end up listening at a far lower volume than you would with outer ear phones.
I can and have used these for ages.
It is actually better for your ears.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I understand that in ear headphones are a a leap to get used to, but if you can get used to the change, they are quite spectacular.

When making music, I like to be totally buried in the sound, so I like to make music in the phones, and then mix on the monitors, as using the phones I can totally immerse myself in the music, as if I was making it on a 20K rig (which I have done before, hehe).
With in ears you really are just totally drowned in the music, it is a lovely experience, especially with phones this accurate.

Not for everyone, but totally worth trying.
New Shit

melville
fancy woman

Post by melville »

Sounds good, I get what you mean by being totally immersed in the sound, that's one thing I do like about in-ears. Hmm might have to try a pair. Be handy for work anyway.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:I'm gonna throw in a curve ball here.
Amazing in ear monitors designed for engineers, each set you buy has been hand tuned by an engineer.

I've been using shitty in-ear but as you say I love that you feel immersed in the sound.
These seem ideal for my needs.
I assume as you are singing there praises, the er4 translate really well?
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Pelecaras wrote:

I've been using shitty in-ear but as you say I love that you feel immersed in the sound.
I upgraded to the new v2 Etymotics, I have the ER4XR`s now. Just perfect, they go nice and low, I use them all the time now, they have supplanted my trusty AKG K701`s.
Very trustworthy sound in translation terms.
New Shit

Aureliano
BAD

Post by Aureliano »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Pelecaras wrote:

I upgraded to the new v2 Etymotics, I have the ER4XR`s now. Just perfect, they go nice and low, I use them all the time now, they have supplanted my trusty AKG K701`s.

Do the Etymonics need a headphone amp?

And do you ever take them out of the studio? For example, listening to music on your phone while walking.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Cool, gonna take the plunge.
FUCK-WIT