Overloud EQ 550

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Rickskii
brown envelope
Overloud EQ 550

Post by Rickskii »

https://www.overloud.com/products/eq550

Overloud are giving away 1000 licences for 5 days, worth a punt.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Overloud EQ 550

Post by dubdub »

I originally wasn't interested in yet another EQ but I saw that it has a modelled pre-amp which made me interested. It has a very nice transformer drive if you push it. I also dig the EQ from a quick runthrough. Definitely worth giving it a shot for free.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Man, after half an hour or so, I have to say, this is a really good EQ. I would probably pay for it and I'm not someone that really collects EQs like crazy. The transformer drive gives a really nice sizzled highend, the midrange EQ sounds very sweet and the highend band is really good for boosting air.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

dubdub wrote:Man, after half an hour or so, I have to say, this is a really good EQ. I would probably pay for it and I'm not someone that really collects EQs like crazy. The transformer drive gives a really nice sizzled highend, the midrange EQ sounds very sweet and the highend band is really good for boosting air.
I admire your accuracy of hearing, I have downloaded the plug in and had a quick play with it, but much like the Soundtoys Sieq I dont think i'll find much use for it, I must be missing something with EQ's or just fidelity of sound in general, perhaps its my monitoring situation (dt770's) maybe if I had better monitors I would be making finer adjustments and really hearing these plug ins for what they are.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I don't have golden ears or anything, it probably doesn't do anything you can't achieve with other EQs. I just like how the bands behave, notch a few db, yup sounds right, boost a few db, yup sounds right. A/B with bypass, yup sounds right.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's about time someone put out a loudness corrected EQ.
There are some mastering eqs that do it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:It's about time someone put out a loudness corrected EQ.
There are some mastering eqs that do it.
What do you mean by loudness corrected? Auto-gain? Don't most ITB EQs do that?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Output matched, there are very few EQ`s that correct the output level dependent on what you do with each change in band gain.
It means you make EQ decisions unclouded by loudness changes
New Shit

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

dubdub wrote: really good for boosting air.
I was wondering for some time now, but didn't ask cause I didn't find a good spot to derail (don't know why, it's subsekt ffs), what does the term air mean in music terms? In some discussions I would say people meant space, but it was mostly mentioned in regards to the high end, like you did, so I couldn't put my finger on it. Same with warmth, which is mainly in regards to low end.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Air is generally everything above 10k or so. Warmth is generally the lower mids around 150-500hz.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Oh so it just represents the frequency range.. ok thanks
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

0dd wrote:
I was wondering for some time now, but didn't ask cause I didn't find a good spot to derail (don't know why, it's subsekt ffs), what does the term air mean in music terms? In some discussions I would say people meant space, but it was mostly mentioned in regards to the high end, like you did, so I couldn't put my finger on it. Same with warmth, which is mainly in regards to low end.
Air is an ambiguous term.
Basically it refers to high frequency and the "space" it can add.
In mastering terms it's traditionally high band 12k or 18k shelving but in production it can be anything from 5k up depending on who you are talking to. It can also refer to the adding of reverb, fast release with quick early reflections, to add "space" and "air" to a close-in sound.

Warmth is really more than just frequency, it's about harmonic richness, a good bias to even harmonics, a certain amount of thickening in the low mids or high bass AND rounded transients that get more gentle into the air band.

Both are fairly ambiguous, and also relative to the particular content being discussed rather than generic.
New Shit

dynamic
BAD

Post by dynamic »

Nice tip! Thanks

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Lost to the Void wrote:
0dd wrote:
Air is an ambiguous term.
Basically it refers to high frequency and the "space" it can add.
In mastering terms it's traditionally high band 12k or 18k shelving but in production it can be anything from 5k up depending on who you are talking to. It can also refer to the adding of reverb, fast release with quick early reflections, to add "space" and "air" to a close-in sound.

Warmth is really more than just frequency, it's about harmonic richness, a good bias to even harmonics, a certain amount of thickening in the low mids or high bass AND rounded transients that get more gentle into the air band.

Both are fairly ambiguous, and also relative to the particular content being discussed rather than generic.
Cool, thanks man.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Might check this out, cheers for the recommendation!

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:I originally wasn't interested in yet another EQ but I saw that it has a modelled pre-amp which made me interested. It has a very nice transformer drive if you push it. I also dig the EQ from a quick runthrough. Definitely worth giving it a shot for free.
Same. Actually quite impressed with it so far.