Cells

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Squill
non reader
Cells

Post by Squill »

Just finished this one. Going to make the outro more interesting later on. Please let me know what you think =)

https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/cells/s-EZeR7

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Cells

Post by dubdub »

Mix sounds solid, track is also decent but it just sounds a bit vanilla and clinical overall. Would really benefit from some analog modelled treatment to give it a bit more interesting texture and flavour.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

You know what you're doing. That's obvious.

Problem is is that as well produced as this, it's as forgettable.

What I really mean is that you are much more talented/ skilled than me, so I think you should try to make more of a stamp. You have the skills.

(I'm a b it drunk, so excuses if it sounds rude)

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

dubdub wrote:Mix sounds solid, track is also decent but it just sounds a bit vanilla and clinical overall. Would really benefit from some analog modelled treatment to give it a bit more interesting texture and flavour.
a bit of saturation eh? I was going to run it through omega a and some other plugs but the project maxed out xD going to bounce the stems and work from there

jordanneke wrote:You know what you're doing. That's obvious.

Problem is is that as well produced as this, it's as forgettable.

What I really mean is that you are much more talented/ skilled than me, so I think you should try to make more of a stamp. You have the skills.

(I'm a b it drunk, so excuses if it sounds rude)
Ya not rude at all, and you know what, you're right about it not being that memorable loll it's the first track I've finished in a while coming from months of unfinished tunes. I'll work on it more today, thanks =)

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Well produced and pleasant to listen to. But for me its too clinical and 'vanilla' like dubdub pointed out..

The vibe youre going for does work with the clean production style, but i think you could change up a few things to make the track more unique and give it more character. Something as simple as using some sort of field recording for a hat/percussion would work wonders in giving your track more identity.

Taking that extra step of detail with some elements can make your track stand apart from others, instead of maybe just reaching for a 909 hat or something.

Be interested to hear you can do if you decide to play around with it more.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

yes needs a bit of grit in their somewhere, the hats are too quiet and its lacking some other elements. Nice work so far though

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Can`t add too much to what has been said.
The mix is solid, maybe lacking a little final polish to give it the hi-tech sound you are going for.

The mix is a touch woolly in the high bass area and could do with more air 12k+ so it sparkles (a little more stereo in the high frequency region would also lift this up along with the standard for Hi-Tech/Prog).

The track is a little unengaging. It doesn`t really draw me in anywhere, as said above.... a touch "Vanilla".

Some kind of hook would really help finish it all off, it feels like it is waiting to say something, but never gets around to saying it.

Finally the mix could do with more, not grit..... it wouldn't suit the track...... Harmonic and non linearity is was it needs.
Maybe running to tape, or tape emulation, and a nice clean transformer/preamp (emulation if ITB) just to wet it down and add some sing song harmonics.
A touch of wow and flutter might also help.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

This is really missing a climax for me. There is a constant tension - but no point where the filters open to fire up some energy.

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Thank you all for the feedback guys :D Have not checked the thread in a while and did some fixing before I saw everyones feedback. Think its a bit more progressive than techno now, but i'll post a link to show ya what I got now anyway :)

https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/cell ... ed/s-iJFoV

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

Listened to the new version right now. I like the new hats!
The ride I'd prefer coming in at 4:06 after the break - (that would give me bit of a climax that I missed in the first version)
Did you modulate the rides? Sounds to me like they're underwater (but could also be mp3-artifacts from soundcloud)
Anyways... I like it, trancy and clean!

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Cannot add much that hasn't been said...

I'm really digging this track, very well produced! And you fixed the outro :)

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Hey a little late here =p but thanks for all the feedback guys! And Wayfinder, not too sure yet where to put this, I made two other tracks the week after that I think would really do well on the labels that I wanted to pitch this to originally. Probably the labels more on the progressive side cause of the drums and atmosphere.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Easily releasable quality (not that I'm qualified in any way to say that other than from a listeners point of view). And agree with everyone else in that it just needs a memorable hook and the job will be done.

I'm sure in the right hands at the right time and in the right place it would work wonders on the dancefloor.

Can't add any technical feedback as it is already a well polished piece of work.

Nice work.

(Just noticed I seem to like using the word 'work' for some reason...)

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

I wish I could do this aswell :lol:
I mean, for real.
bin searching how to get such a full sound for 3 years now and the only answer I got is:

analog.