SHIDZO - Back to the land

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
SHIDZO
pregnant
SHIDZO - Back to the land

Post by SHIDZO »

Would appreciate feedback on this one.

I was thinking of something that would work on the dance floor. Something catchy. So much for the theory then.

https://soundcloud.com/shidzo/back/s-g5tDC

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers

Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: SHIDZO - Back to the land

Post by Barfunkel »

The rave chord pattern gets a bit annoying after a while, to me at least...

Also the quiet little riff (synth sax?) after the chord kinda doesn't bring anything to the track imo.

No technical comments with these borrowed headphones. Gotta buy a new pair in the near future, as my primary headphones broke a while ago.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Pale-Fox
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Pale-Fox »

it's got the elements of a great track could just be arranged a bit better in my opinion and have some more original synth noises possibly?

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Barfunkel wrote:The rave chord pattern gets a bit annoying after a while, to me at least...

Also the quiet little riff (synth sax?) after the chord kinda doesn't bring anything to the track imo.

No technical comments with these borrowed headphones. Gotta buy a new pair in the near future, as my primary headphones broke a while ago.
Thanks man! Hmmmmm... Well, I introduced that quiet little riff to get a bit of a change going on, something new. I tried several things but nothing did really fit in there. The rave chord is super present over the whole track, everything I put on there disturbed or was just too much. Makes me think of re-arranging the cunt. Thanks again for the input!

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Pale-Fox wrote:it's got the elements of a great track could just be arranged a bit better in my opinion and have some more original synth noises possibly?
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!! What do you mean by original synth noises though? cheers

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

It's a well produced track, but the problem is a musical one for me.

The stabs have no resolve. The tension isn't released until 5 mins when you finally get some pay off to the piano. That's a long time considering the track's only 6 mins.

I agree that the major problem is one of arrangement. But with a little more thought, there's a banger in there

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Production is ok. A little cramped in the low mids/high bass. Hats and top end are a little thin. But it holds together pretty well in the mastering room here. So yeah, good work.

Musically though, overall it`s one big cliche of a track, nothing makes me say "Oh this guy Shidzo is doing something interesting".
It kinda sounds like a hundred other producers.
Rumble sub with mid rangey kick. Cliche rave stabs. Breakdown that goes nowhere.
The whole rave stab thing just sounds like a real rip off of a 90`s cliche too, not really managed to do anything interesting with that old sound.

Yeah, just not feeling this.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Lost to the Void wrote:Production is ok. A little cramped in the low mids/high bass. Hats and top end are a little thin. But it holds together pretty well in the mastering room here. So yeah, good work.

Musically though, overall it`s one big cliche of a track, nothing makes me say "Oh this guy Shidzo is doing something interesting".
Rumble sub with mid rangey kick. Cliche rave stabs. Breakdown that goes nowhere.
The whole rave stab thing just sounds like a real rip off of a 90`s cliche too, not really managed to do anything interesting with that old sound.

I agree with void, just try to make your own thing, find your own styles. Don't get offended, but i just went through your song in 1 min, and it's sounds similar, instead of playing with a bass and stab, try to put some texture in your track, like wam or sharp ambiet sound or what ever, just make it a bit more interesting. Yeah there's a phrase producers steals each others ideas and make their own, but this is to obvious, i hope you will find your style mate, just keep doing it :)

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

jordanneke wrote:It's a well produced track, but the problem is a musical one for me.

The stabs have no resolve. The tension isn't released until 5 mins when you finally get some pay off to the piano. That's a long time considering the track's only 6 mins.

I agree that the major problem is one of arrangement. But with a little more thought, there's a banger in there
Thanks mate, that really means a lot to me! Well explained and I will put more work into it after the X-Mas break ;)

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Lost to the Void wrote:Production is ok. A little cramped in the low mids/high bass. Hats and top end are a little thin. But it holds together pretty well in the mastering room here. So yeah, good work.

Hey Steve, thank you for taking the time. Really stoked about the feedback, took your advice and referenced a lot more with my headphones as my room is still shit ;) So yeah, thanks again, that's a massive improvement to your last feedback hehe! Will definitely put more effort into the arrangement. Thanks for your opinion, cheers

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

juodas wrote:

I agree with void, just try to make your own thing, find your own styles. Don't get offended, but i just went through your song in 1 min, and it's sounds similar, instead of playing with a bass and stab, try to put some texture in your track, like wam or sharp ambiet sound or what ever, just make it a bit more interesting. Yeah there's a phrase producers steals each others ideas and make their own, but this is to obvious, i hope you will find your style mate, just keep doing it :)
Thanks very much for taking the time and giving me your feedback. Cheers!

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Productions not bad but i agree with the others about the actual idea of the track..

Try and avoid using that specific 90s stab sound. Its been overused to death in cliche techno tracks these days and i just kinda cringe when i hear it now unless its been used in a clever way in the production. Try and create your own unique sounding stab to catch people ears, rather than that overused 90s stab. Likewise, your track reminds me a lot of 2000 and one - kawasaki.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I'm actually a bit shocked about what's going on here. I thought I've come to a place where there actually are some proper cunts around. But blaming me for not finding my own style and ripping off stuff? What's that got to do with constructive criticism? Here is what happened: Mr. Crom postet that Rave Generator VST the other day, I downloaded it and used the very first preset that came up for a stab melody which me (and my missus) found quite catchy. It took me as a beginner fucking 3 evenings to come up with that track and I found it funny, simple and catchy. I have never even heard this 2000 And One track before, the only track it reminded me of was Slam - Vapour, which is a real banger in the same simple way. RWise is right, it does sound like the 2000 and one track, which is a coincidence, my jaw just dropped when I listened to that. Anyway, that's not helpful at all so I recommend to rather mind your own business. One last thing: usually I wouldn't give a damn shit about these kind of comments, but, like I said, I thought I've come to the right place with the right people.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

SHIDZO wrote:I'm actually a bit shocked about what's going on here. I thought I've come to a place where there actually are some proper cunts around. But blaming me for not finding my own style and ripping off stuff? What's that got to do with constructive criticism? Here is what happened: Mr. Crom postet that Rave Generator VST the other day, I downloaded it and used the very first preset that came up for a stab melody which me (and my missus) found quite catchy. It took me as a beginner fucking 3 evenings to come up with that track and I found it funny, simple and catchy. I have never even heard this 2000 And One track before, the only track it reminded me of was Slam - Vapour, which is a real banger in the same simple way. RWise is right, it does sound like the 2000 and one track, which is a coincidence, my jaw just dropped when I listened to that. Anyway, that's not helpful at all so I recommend to rather mind your own business. One last thing: usually I wouldn't give a damn shit about these kind of comments, but, like I said, I thought I've come to the right place with the right people.
I think youre taking these comments the wrong way... Its hard to portray the tone of how you'd like to say something through plain text online. So it can be easy to misinterpret things.

No ones attacking you, people are just giving their honest opinion. I wasnt accusing you of ripping off that 2000&one track, i was just simply making an observation to how it sounds similar. However, i stand by what i said in terms of that sound has been done to death. This isnt a criticism of you as a producer, its just a tip to help you not sound like a million other people using that sound.

This is all a learning game and every ones constantly growing. Instead of taking these comments to heart, look at how theyll benefit you.

If a lot of people are saying that the track sounds pretty generic and isnt special, be happy you made the track for experience but then look at whats making the track lackluster and use that as fuel to make your next track better.

Merry christmas.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

SHIDZO wrote:I'm actually a bit shocked about what's going on here. I thought I've come to a place where there actually are some proper cunts around. But blaming me for not finding my own style and ripping off stuff? What's that got to do with constructive criticism? Here is what happened: Mr. Crom postet that Rave Generator VST the other day, I downloaded it and used the very first preset that came up for a stab melody which me (and my missus) found quite catchy. It took me as a beginner fucking 3 evenings to come up with that track and I found it funny, simple and catchy. I have never even heard this 2000 And One track before, the only track it reminded me of was Slam - Vapour, which is a real banger in the same simple way. RWise is right, it does sound like the 2000 and one track, which is a coincidence, my jaw just dropped when I listened to that. Anyway, that's not helpful at all so I recommend to rather mind your own business. One last thing: usually I wouldn't give a damn shit about these kind of comments, but, like I said, I thought I've come to the right place with the right people.
Don't read too much into it man.

TBH, this is the only place where people are actually honest. If you've come for 'great track mate, well done', then this isn't the place.

With all that being said, as a beginner, your sound far out-strips mine. Your production value is on point.

Now fuck off and have a merry Christmas. You cunt! :D :D

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

RWise wrote: This is all a learning game and every ones constantly growing. Instead of taking these comments to heart, look at how theyll benefit you.
well , all i m hearing is a better track. better than the previous one you posted. so keep that, you re getting better. for sure this is a learning game. 100%.
and honestly I remember since the era of the first chat rooms the wrong impact that text have on communication. been there. have misunderstood several things.

merry xmas to all criticizing cunts!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

nice beat, like the way you worked the percussion, like the chords and what you've done with them after the last break. I feel the synthsax really adds up, but I would like to hear it louder and a bit more raw (little distortion perhaps...?) also would like to hear some more buildup during the breaks.

pretty neith overall and a cool track. About the cliche... I say; don't fix what aint broken, I like the 90's sound :)

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Back from the X-Mas break - now I need a family break ;)

I'm glad we talked about it. I'm taking this shit here very serious, hence I read a lot into the comments. Did not come for a cocksucking fest and appreciate the honest feedback. It helps me. I have to admit though, that after the 3rd rip off comment I took it a bit personal because that's not what I want to do at any time. Case closed, cunts

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

ZenoSupreme wrote:nice beat, like the way you worked the percussion, like the chords and what you've done with them after the last break. I feel the synthsax really adds up, but I would like to hear it louder and a bit more raw (little distortion perhaps...?) also would like to hear some more buildup during the breaks.

pretty neith overall and a cool track. About the cliche... I say; don't fix what aint broken, I like the 90's sound :)
Hey man, thanks a lot for the feedback. You're right, I have to do a bit more with the synth sax, it's not adding something to the track at the moment. Will be back with a new version :) Thanks!

starrk
beast

Post by starrk »

Definitely a by the book track, but I really like it, constantly changing subtle variations keep it interesting. I could see this on the dance floor. The changing progressions are interesting and caught me off guard, almost would have preferred the same progression over and over with automation on it, but that is just a personal choice, what you've done works just as well and doesn't disrupt the groove.

Only real comment I have is that in my setup the low end reverb seems a bit too much, but that may just be the headphones I'm currently on, I can give some other ones a shot.