Concrete Island - Azad

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Concrete Island - Azad

Post by The_G »

This one is completely different from the last one I posted. Actually I sketched it out a few years ago--it's one of the few tracks I made at that time that I've been meaning to go back to and fix up. Here's the result...any opinions, advices, etc. welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/the-g-music/conc ... ad/s-qfJ6j

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Concrete Island - Azad

Post by dubdub »

Mix sounds pretty good, could be a little dirtier IMO. That arp could use a touch more reverb and delay feel, I think - there's plenty of space in the mix for some big ass tails floating around. The bassline sounds a little dry and boring, could maybe use some extra filtering and FX to spice it up a bit. The reverb on the kick is a bit too much, I think, could be a bit more filtered and controlled, probably a little quierter aswell, so the dry part comes out a bit more.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:Mix sounds pretty good, could be a little dirtier IMO. That arp could use a touch more reverb and delay feel, I think - there's plenty of space in the mix for some big ass tails floating around. The bassline sounds a little dry and boring, could maybe use some extra filtering and FX to spice it up a bit. The reverb on the kick is a bit too much, I think, could be a bit more filtered and controlled, probably a little quierter aswell, so the dry part comes out a bit more.
Thanks man. I had originally wanted to do bigger reverb/delay tails but thought I might be muddying things up. I'll go back and change that. As for the reverb on the kick, is it the tone, the size or the length? Or a mix of all three? I've got it on a send right now, EQd and sidechained to the kick.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Hmm, on a second listen it might just be too loud, I think it might sound a bit more natural if the dry kick comes through a bit more. I think it would also benefit from some extra lowpassing. Is it completely mono? I can't really tell, if it isn't I'd definitely mono it. If you have ValhallaPlate, it has some great algorithms for these kind of reverb-kicks.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Man that sub/ reverb. It's there alright. Even on my headphones it rattling my brain. But it's not all that dynamic or interesting. It's just there taking up way too much room.

I'd really really cut the decay of that just so the notes don't run into each other and give the track some space to breathe. It's suffocating the whole experience. Perhaps try a much more sparse kick pattern too.

The bassline could do with something interesting happening to it, it's not too dynamic either. It too is just there, all the time. It's really tiring on my ears by 4 mins. Some relief happens at 5.00!

The rest of the track is awesome, but the low end doesn't do the track justice.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

To me, it feels like half a track. It could use some more elements.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Holy cow, I’m either unprofessional or my ears are super tired from the weekend sessions. Or both. I listened on my headphones and I had to focus really hard to even hear the reverb on the kick. I like the low end and the kick pattern, you could do a bit more with it when you lead into the break, for example. Some variety to keep it interesting, a different pattern, a bit on and off-beat. Same with the bassline, like Joran said. It’s there all the time. I mean, it’s good, so do something unpredictable with it. The track is really good, put a bit more work into it and you will have a banger.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The 4th kick on every bar is getting transients muted out, this says to me the compression, either on the kick, or the buss has the release too long to cope with the 3rd and 4th kick being so close together.
So either the release on the compressor needs tweaking or the sidechain EQ on the compressor could be set a little higher to tighten up the action.

The rimshot/snap doesn`t quite sound a part of the drums, it seems a little lifted out of the percussion.
Maybe tightening all the drums together in a group would help.
Or giving it a little more weight, perhaps ghosting in the same hit 1 octave down at 75% the volume just to thicken up the click.

Other than that it all holds together pretty well.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

@dubdub and @jordanneke: I think I've fixed the reverb issue...it's got a nice whoosh but isn't overwhelming now.

@jordanneke and @TimBuys: I'm working to add a few little flourishes here and there to give it some more drama.

@Lost to the Void: you're right about the compression...I think the release is too long and also I've got the ratio set too high. I'm dialing it back. Also, great idea about the rim shot. I'm going to try that.

I'll post the new version when it's done. Thanks again! Very helpful.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

hi,

do like the bass and the raw feel. like how your play with the hats and some kind of pan echt on the clap (?) to, makes my head ringing in a nice way.

I would like to hear some variation in the stabby sound u use tho... it seems a bit to much to me, and also the arpy sound that's the same all the time... not my flavour... perhaps you could make it turn more raw slowly (like during the whole track) or make another riff with it?

a very nice track in the basics :)

starrk
beast

Post by starrk »

I do actually like the powerful bass, but as others have said, in combination with the kick pattern it is a bit much. Cutting some of the tails in some pattern seems like it could make it more dynamic.

I rather like the build around the 4:00 mark, and what you do with slightly changing patterns. Throwing in the occasional different kick pattern every 16/32 bars could be a way to keep things interesting maybe? Missing kick here and there