SHIDZO - Tacker

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
SHIDZO
pregnant
Re: SHIDZO - Tacker

Post by SHIDZO »

It's a very good point, it left me a little bit confused... Thanks for bringing that up.
I thought "well, if someone says it is too little and the other says it's too much it's probably right in the middle and perfect" :D
Who listened on headphones or in a well treated environment?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

SHIDZO wrote: Who listened on headphones or in a well treated environment?
that's exactly the question I want to raise if we differ that much in our opinion/feedback... :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Hades wrote:
SHIDZO wrote: Who listened on headphones or in a well treated environment?
that's exactly the question I want to raise if we differ that much in our opinion/feedback... :)
My listening environment is far from ideal, but I do have a foam ceiling, thick drapes over hard/problematic surfaces on the walls and a couple of strategically placed carpets in a fairly large room... And I occasionally test my sub settings when I'm not sure if it's set correctly, it seems to drift a bit at times (it's kind of ...well..an old piece of shit:). Fairly sure with this setup I can at least determine whether (sub)bass is mixed too loud though.
how far do you want to go

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

by ''there is no bass'' in meant there isn' t something taking the role of the bass like a sample or synth or whatever. there is a lot of low frequencies of course it s obvious but that s like it s only the reverb tail of the kick , like a substitute of bass. OP said that s a tom running under the kick. so , maybe if I could put it better bass is problematic here from a sound designing perspective. not the frequency range. apart from that low range isn t balanced and needs work for sure.
I use dynaudio BM12 mkIII and smaller Genelecs as second opinion, in small room with floor to ceiling bass traps and large wooden skyscraper diffusers. absorbers on the sides and carpet floor. correction is the sonarworks ref3. all done with no professional advice involved meaning that there is a possibility to have made mistakes in the acoustics of the room.
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Lots of confusion here for the OP.
No surprise it`s over low end where the majority of small/project studios have trouble.

So I took a listen in the mastering room to try to clear things up.

My opinion, low end is too much, very thick and muddy underneath the initial transient of the kick, would sound very mushy on a rig. Could drop the sub by a couple of db easily, if I were mastering this, it`s what I would do.
Whoever couldn`t hear the bass might want to take a look at their own room, I reckon some standing waves are causing them problems.

Mid range is a little forward and over resonant in places, stereo image seems confused/lacking coherence.
The main lead has a really nasty resonance that hits at various points as the filter is opening that really gets in the way of the mix. The mids are crowded with conflicting resonances that make for uncomfortable listening at volume, I can hear some phasey issues in there too, maybe an EQ issue.

After the main break that lead synth is really noticeably over resonant, needs a cut at the problem frequency by 2-3 3db.

Overall I think the sounds are fighting for space, both in terms of frequency and stereo placement, mainly in the mid range, the top end is fine, the low end is an easy fix.

Looking at the picture of the room it`s easy to hear why these problems exist.

Setup in the corner of the room, one speaker right next to a wall, the other backing on to a wall I can see all manner of issues, the whole list really. Standing waves from the corner, first order reflections from the side wall, mirror point reflections from the side wall, confused stereo image due to proximity effect, 1 speaker next to a boundary, other not. Then comb filtering from a large, flat, mostly empty desk.

1st thing I would do is move the desk as far to the left as the room allows, to get that speaker away from the side wall.
Then get some diffusion at the mirror points, especially at that side wall, get some more stuff on that desk, or some foam diffusers on the desk, to scatter all those reflections and kill the comb filtering.
Some trapping would help eventually, in the corner.

All things considered, the mix is pretty good for the issues of the room, but you can definitely hear the room problems in the mix, it might be better to work on headphones more exclusively.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Lost to the Void wrote:Lots of confusion here for the OP.
No surprise it`s over low end where the majority of small/project studios have trouble.

So I took a listen in the mastering room to try to clear things up.

My opinion, low end is too much, very thick and muddy underneath the initial transient of the kick, would sound very mushy on a rig. Could drop the sub by a couple of db easily, if I were mastering this, it`s what I would do.
Whoever couldn`t hear the bass might want to take a look at their own room, I reckon some standing waves are causing them problems.

Mid range is a little forward and over resonant in places, stereo image seems confused/lacking coherence.
The main lead has a really nasty resonance that hits at various points as the filter is opening that really gets in the way of the mix. The mids are crowded with conflicting resonances that make for uncomfortable listening at volume, I can hear some phasey issues in there too, maybe an EQ issue.

After the main break that lead synth is really noticeably over resonant, needs a cut at the problem frequency by 2-3 3db.

Overall I think the sounds are fighting for space, both in terms of frequency and stereo placement, mainly in the mid range, the top end is fine, the low end is an easy fix.

Looking at the picture of the room it`s easy to hear why these problems exist.

Setup in the corner of the room, one speaker right next to a wall, the other backing on to a wall I can see all manner of issues, the whole list really. Standing waves from the corner, first order reflections from the side wall, mirror point reflections from the side wall, confused stereo image due to proximity effect, 1 speaker next to a boundary, other not. Then comb filtering from a large, flat, mostly empty desk.

1st thing I would do is move the desk as far to the left as the room allows, to get that speaker away from the side wall.
Then get some diffusion at the mirror points, especially at that side wall, get some more stuff on that desk, or some foam diffusers on the desk, to scatter all those reflections and kill the comb filtering.
Some trapping would help eventually, in the corner.

All things considered, the mix is pretty good for the issues of the room, but you can definitely hear the room problems in the mix, it might be better to work on headphones more exclusively.
Many thanks for taking the time and providing me this extensive feedback! And also, thanks a lot for pointing me into the direction of what I can do with my room.

I might have been a bit foolish. Bought these speakers and first of all they sounded pretty good to me and I didn't really use my headphones anymore. I just don't like the feeling of headphones, but at this stage it's not about comfort it's about the fact that I can hear better and more detailed with the headphones and that's what counts. So yes, with the project I'm working on at the moment I've been referencing a lot with the headphones. Thanks again for your time, I'm looking into that stuff you pointed out.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

personally, I think it's always a good idea of at least putting on your headphones once or twice when you're doing your final mix, just to compare with what you hear on your monitors,
unless you're like Steve and Mattias, and have such a perfect room and setup that you know exactly what you're hearing.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa