PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Post by PixelKind »

Andre_Crom
rescued
Re: Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Post by Andre_Crom »

I have an SH-01A since a month or so. Not quite sure what to think of it.

First let me tell you that i'm quite a lazy ass when it comes to external gear - i just wanna make music on a high level and as efficiently as possible, don't care if it's software or hardware, analog or digital and so on.

That's why, for me external gear needs to sound and feel considerably better than my vst's to make up for the loss of total recall and the annoyance to record, deal with latency etc.

So, i feel the SH-01A sounds good, but when comparing to my Vermona Mono Lancet (the only real analogue synth i have), the Lancet beats it in terms of warmth, behaviour of the filter (resonance), and size and usability of the knobs / faders.

So if somebody wants a real warm analogue sound, maybe the SH-01A is not the best you can get... but it's still a good sounding and quite versatile unit thanks to the polyphony and other extensions Roland gave it compared to the original. I think in a mix not many people could tell the difference between the original 101 and the "copy".

I personally hate the menu though, quite fiddly. And as with all the boutique stuff, the faders / knobs are fiddly as well, and while the sound is quite good, the hardware just feels kinda cheap and toy-ish, compared to e.g. the Mono Lancet or a Minilogue.

So i'd say if you want that SH101 sound on a budget, the SH-01A will get you there, but it defo has its downsides.