Tektrasense - Trinity

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Martian
Poo Fingers
Tektrasense - Trinity

Post by Martian »

Hey guys,

Just finished another track, I've spent more time on the mix with this one but I must say that I've had troubles again getting the kick right, it seems not easy for me to get the low end powerful enough while trying to maintain a punchy kick, hopefully I'm going in the right direction with this track. Also panned the elements farther out and added a bit more reverb than in previous tracks.

Mining for gold on planet earth.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Tektrasense - Trinity

Post by dubdub »

Bass and kick do fit together nicely but it sounds like you cut a bit too much in the sub 40hz region. The hihat is a bit dry and harsh in the mix, could use a bit more reverb. That main acidic line could use a bit more meat in the low mids / lows.

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Thanks for your fast response dubdub. I always cut my low end at 35Hz, I've read this once somewhere on the net that you don't need the frequencies below 35Hz, maybe it's the slope setting of the hpf I'm using, I've set it on 48Db/octave, that's probably too drastic, ending up with cutting too much of the 40Hz region out.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

That's way too drastic! You are cutting all your sub. I would never use more than 12db curves for that kind of task. Personally use 6db curves to gentle slope out a bit from 30hz. I wouldn't worry too much about that frequency area, if it's too much it can always be cut in mastering etc. Not a big problem to fix it later because you can cut without really messing with the rest of the mix.

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Thanks for the advice! ;)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I like most of the elements in this track, but the sort of "fax machine/computer noise" stuff doesn't do anything for me. I'm curious what the track would sound like without that?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Man the lows sound great to me. But there is a width down there that I'm not used to, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

I'm not a fan of the whirring machine noise, I think the same one as OG above said.

Nice mix man.

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

The acidic sound and the 'fax machine/computer' sound come from the same reaktor blocks ensemble. I thought that the irregular time signature pattern of the latter sound would break the repetitiveness of the rest of the elements, but I agree that it does not really add something of interest to the mix.
I think that the effect of width on the lows may be caused by phase cancellation, I've sent the kick to a delay which is then low pass filtered with a higher resonance peak and then sent again thru the same delay and again once more to create a rumbling texture. (Sigmund delay by d-16)

Thanks for the words guys!

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I think the bass is fine, maybe there is headroom for a tiny bit more though. I like the track and I think the fax machine fits in there as well. Maybe a bit too present and you could also alter it at one point. But apart from that, keep the faxes coming. Cheers

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Thanks SHIDZO, I guess it's a matter of taste then. The track could use some more modulation for sure, that's an important aspect of music production I need to practice more. And I guess that I could push the bass a bit more, but I didn't want to take the risk to go overboard.

Cheers man!