Post by Hades »

apologies for the confusion
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Netflix tips

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote: Any recommendations by him, or films I should start with first ?
I'm surprised you don't know him, being a bit of a film buff.

No one makes films like him really, his dialogue is completely unique.
All of his stuff is great, it the first 4 are kinda perfection.
Trust is my fave, it's completely genius.
Start with the unbelievable truth and do the first 4.
He tends to work with the same cast.

His films are mostly examinations of the human condition, he gets very dark in terms of thought, existentialist thought. But he lifts it with utter absurdity. Comedy and Drama dancing together. He plays with language in a very Beckettian way.
I think you'd dig it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote: Any recommendations by him, or films I should start with first ?
I'm surprised you don't know him, being a bit of a film buff.

No one makes films like him really, his dialogue is completely unique.
All of his stuff is great, it the first 4 are kinda perfection.
Trust is my fave, it's completely genius.
Start with the unbelievable truth and do the first 4.
He tends to work with the same cast.

His films are mostly examinations of the human condition, he gets very dark in terms of thought, existentialist thought. But he lifts it with utter absurdity. Comedy and Drama dancing together. He plays with language in a very Beckettian way.
I think you'd dig it.
That's just the thing, his name rings a bell somewhere and I can't seem to place it at all.
It bugs me.
I think I have seen "The Unbelievable Truth" looking at pics of the film, but I'm not sure.
I hate it when my memory fails on me like that.
If his films are in such a league of their own, I really shouldn't forget it if I saw any of them.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

got it.
"Amateur" ha beens on my "to see"-list for a while.
Problem is I haven't watched a lot of films at all for about 2+ years,
and my list only keeps growing while my memory is slowly fading.

I should really start watching more films again.
The guy I rented most of my films at is the owner of the only rental shop still open in the city I used to live in,
and I know he's slowly going bankrupt.
Only reason he can still do it is because he's officially retired and is now doing it as a side-job.

Getting Netflix just made me switch to documentaries and series for the last few months.
The offer of good films on Netflix, or at least good films I haven't seen yet, is very limited here in Belgium.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Amateur is ok, but nowhere as good as unbelievable truth, trust and simple men.
I'd do Unbelievable, then trust, then simple men.
I studied Hal Hartley when I was doing my university degree.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Getting back to netflix...

I just finished watching Norwegian mini series Nobel.

It's really good, a sort of war drama, political drama, whodunnit.
About Afghanistan, politics, oil, trust in relationships. It's really deep in the way that only Nordic noir can be, plenty of suspense and action too.

The same thing made in America would be shockingly simplified.
New Shit

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Can anyone help me out on my shitty netflix problem....

I am using windows 8 but i CANNOT access netflix on chrome... it just says 'www.netflix.com unexpectedly closed the connection.' everytime i go on the website. Tried internet explorer and same bullshit. Have tested this on several connections to see if it was my WIFI but same shit every time.

I also downloaded the netflix app on windows and even that doesnt fucking work! I open the app and it just stays on the netflix logo with the little spinning circle loading icon and loads infinitely....

I am using avast as my antivirus incase that might be of any use for info..

PLZ HELP
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Getting back to netflix...

I just finished watching Norwegian mini series Nobel.

It's really good, a sort of war drama, political drama, whodunnit.
About Afghanistan, politics, oil, trust in relationships. It's really deep in the way that only Nordic noir can be, plenty of suspense and action too.

The same thing made in America would be shockingly simplified.
Just tried to find it, not on here in Belgium.
god I hate this... :|

Did anybody watch Ozark ?
I quite liked it, looking forward to the 2nd season.

lauren
Pig

Post by lauren »

Hades wrote:
Just tried to find it, not on here in Belgium.
god I hate this... :|

Did anybody watch Ozark ?
I quite liked it, looking forward to the 2nd season.
try hola vpn if it still works on netflix. never watched ozark, but loved j bateman in arrested development. worth the watch?

tbh now they're increasing the price, i'm considering cancelling netflix. it's gonna go bust in a few years, feel absolutely free to quote me on that or come back to me for a reaction when im wrong :lol:

i'd reccomend house of small cubes, bowling for columbine, samsara, baraka, huba parasite, the wailing and victoria, and fargo as a series.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

lauren wrote:
try hola vpn if it still works on netflix. never watched ozark, but loved j bateman in arrested development. worth the watch?

tbh now they're increasing the price, i'm considering cancelling netflix. it's gonna go bust in a few years, feel absolutely free to quote me on that or come back to me for a reaction when im wrong :lol:

i'd reccomend house of small cubes, bowling for columbine, samsara, baraka, huba parasite, the wailing and victoria, and fargo as a series.
thx for the tip, didn't think about using a VPN before. Should solve that problem I suppose, unless they use the location standardly coupled with the inlog details, which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me at all... :|

J. Bateman is fucking great in Ozark. He pretty much carries the whole series though I have no complaints about any of the other actors (and I am usually quite picky on mediocre acting).

bowling for columbine ?
not saying it's not any good, but have people seriously not seen this yet ?
even after all the other shoot-outs there have been in the last decade ?
No offence, but for once, I feel almost privileged to be older... :)

Fargo, of course, was really great,
though I thought the 3rd season wasn't quite as good as the 1st 2 seasons were.
anyway, thx for the tips.

lauren
Pig

Post by lauren »

Hades wrote:
lauren wrote:

thx for the tip, didn't think about using a VPN before. Should solve that problem I suppose, unless they use the location standardly coupled with the inlog details, which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me at all... :|

J. Bateman is fucking great in Ozark. He pretty much carries the whole series though I have no complaints about any of the other actors (and I am usually quite picky on mediocre acting).

bowling for columbine ?
not saying it's not any good, but have people seriously not seen this yet ?
even after all the other shoot-outs there have been in the last decade ?
No offence, but for once, I feel almost privileged to be older... :)

Fargo, of course, was really great,
though I thought the 3rd season wasn't quite as good as the 1st 2 seasons were.
anyway, thx for the tips.
not gonna lie, loved season 2 so much, havent even started on season 3. havent the energy.

yeah bowling for columbine is banging and old, but still relevant. always worth a rec and im surprised at the amount of people that havent seen it.

dcom
Poo Fingers

Post by dcom »

Just started Netflix's The Punisher with S1E1-4. I've never been keen towards Marvel's standard superhero fare (I'm more a DC/Vertigo and indie fan, e.g. Quinn & Vigil's Faust), but I've had a soft spot for Frank Castle - he's a military man with a penchant for violence and no superpowers, he's fallible, problematic and FUBAR. The series starts after the origin story, so if you don't know it, watch the movie first - though there are flashbacks that make previous events evident enough. The events unfold very patiently, but I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.
Technostructuralist.SoundCloudDiscogs

arkos

Post by arkos »

dcom wrote:Just started Netflix's The Punisher with S1E1-4. I've never been keen towards Marvel's standard superhero fare (I'm more a DC/Vertigo and indie fan, e.g. Quinn & Vigil's Faust), but I've had a soft spot for Frank Castle - he's a military man with a penchant for violence and no superpowers, he's fallible, problematic and FUBAR. The series starts after the origin story, so if you don't know it, watch the movie first - though there are flashbacks that make previous events evident enough. The events unfold very patiently, but I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.
Been waiting ages for Frank Castle to kill em all :twisted: His story also folds into Daredevil season two.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dcom wrote:Just started Netflix's The Punisher with S1E1-4. I've never been keen towards Marvel's standard superhero fare (I'm more a DC/Vertigo and indie fan, e.g. Quinn & Vigil's Faust), but I've had a soft spot for Frank Castle - he's a military man with a penchant for violence and no superpowers, he's fallible, problematic and FUBAR. The series starts after the origin story, so if you don't know it, watch the movie first - though there are flashbacks that make previous events evident enough. The events unfold very patiently, but I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.

I've been into comics since I was a kid, but I got in to them via the more gritty UK stuff when I was very young.
2000AD, Victor, Eagle, Valiant, Action etc
So marvel comics never really gripped me, then I got in to underground stuff, heavy metal magazine, Sirius press, avatar press, kitchen sink, caliber, verotik, Bergin, O'barr etc. I used to go drinking with Warren Ellis back when I lived in Southend on sea, he hung out in the comic store where I bought my comics and was part of our group of freaks and reprobates from the drug culture of that area, when he got his first job with marvel (hellstorm) we all took the piss cos he was a sellout. Done alright for himself now though.

But, marvels silly films asside, the netflix series have been much more adult. Quite enjoyable. Series 2 of daredevil handled old Frank castle really well I thought. (The only marvel character, along with Moon Knight, who I could handle), he was dealt with much better than the movies, he had PTSD and was disturbed more realistically. Properly unhinged as he should be.
Bernthal works well. I hope the series is good.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Just started watching "The War" by Ken Burns.
(I have to say I'm a huge fan of Ken Burns ever since watching his magnificent "The Civil War" documentary.)
I'm halfway episode 2 now (7 episodes of approx. 2 hours in total, so still got a long way to go),
and it's pretty decent.
Not gonna say it's great though,
because for me, the biggest annoyance is that it's too much glorifying the US of A,
and how they made sure we all won the war... :roll:

Right now it's focusing on how they became the biggest production centre of the world during the war.
Yes, indeed, and who paid the end bill for most of all that ?
Go on and start fighting in North Africa, sure,
but wait another 2 years before you finally do a full on support attack in Europe.
Wish Ken Burns had raised a little more questions about stuff like that,
because the 1st episode I saw, it was mostly about their combats in the Pacific,
which is an entirely different ballgame...
I was actually happy he even mentioned how they locked up 110.000 Japanese US citizens on the west coast, in camps that had much in common with concentration camps (apart from there not being an endlösung of course).
It happens rarely they even mention this fact... :|

anyway, for those who like their history : it's a decent watch.
And perhaps it turns out to become even a great watch when I've seen more of it,
but from what I've seen now, I seriously doubt it.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

My 2 cents not necessarily netflix only

Electric Dreams
Mr Robot
Narcos
Fargo
Aquarius
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Person of Interest
Vikings
Billions
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I just started watching Strangers Things - I guess I'm a little bit late to that party. But damn, what an amazing show. One of the best I've seen for sure - next to Mr. Robot. Everything is perfect, from the soundtrack to the CGI to the acting.

dcom
Poo Fingers

Post by dcom »

Binged through Netflix's Godless. Standard western fare, but well written, paced and cast.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dcom wrote:Binged through Netflix's Godless. Standard western fare, but well written, paced and cast.
I just started watching that yesterday,
while still trying to find time (and most of all mood) to write a proper reply, dear sir ! :)

If you ever watched Deadwood, is this at all even a little in the same league ?

dcom
Poo Fingers

Post by dcom »

Hades wrote:
dcom wrote:Binged through Netflix's Godless. Standard western fare, but well written, paced and cast.
If you ever watched Deadwood, is this at all even a little in the same league ?
Being a mini-series, Godless is mightily compressed plot-wise compared to Deadwood, but yes.

I'm also up to S1E6 on Designated Survivor but I'm not sure I can be arsed to watch any more, the premise is compelling but the side plot twists and overwhelming Americanism is proving to be a bit much for my palate - I'm thinking of delving into Alias Grace, another series based on a Margaret Atwood novel (alongside The Handmaid's Tale on HBO).

Aquarius on Netflix could be another diversion, especially since Manson's gone ex-parrot pining for the fjords.
Last edited by dcom on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.