It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am 
Alf Garnett

over9000 wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
I would really like some fresh ears on this - it has been one of the most fun tracks I've made in a while (tried to go for some Paula Temple/Søs Gunver Ryberg sound or something... it ended up a bit trancey)

At least right now I have a really hard time being critical of it!

i like the buildup. although that trance lead at 3:30. it sounds way too clean compared to the rest of the track..
the pattern is questionable also. I like it in a strange way, but it also gets annoying really quick.
lowend seems a bit too low in volume. the background noise seems to loud.
percussion is spot on. good work all in all, but i think it still needs some hours.

thank you very much :) I shall put more hours into it (and retrieve its trancy tendencies!!) the low end sounds pretty loud by me, though - is anyone else thinking it sounds too low?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 am 
decent

I would say the clap is too loud instead of the bass being too low...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Been away for a while, made this track in Ableton. Everything digital.

Re-amped some parts of the track using an IBANEZ amp. The distortion really fits the overall atmosphere of the track I think.

Because of the busy arrangement and placing of the bass I struggled mixing it and had to come to a balance without losing the drive of the bass cutting the lower freqs. (can u follow?)

Let me know what u think :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 pm 
Interchangeable

bosspriester wrote:

Been away for a while, made this track in Ableton. Everything digital.

Re-amped some parts of the track using an IBANEZ amp. The distortion really fits the overall atmosphere of the track I think.

Because of the busy arrangement and placing of the bass I struggled mixing it and had to come to a balance without losing the drive of the bass cutting the lower freqs. (can u follow?)

Let me know what u think :)

how about you try and give some feedback to some of the tracks that were posted last into this topic,
before just waltzing in and asking for feedback on your stuff ?? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 am 
Chernobyl

Amøbe wrote:
I would really like some fresh ears on this - it has been one of the most fun tracks I've made in a while (tried to go for some Paula Temple/Søs Gunver Ryberg sound or something... it ended up a bit trancey)

At least right now I have a really hard time being critical of it!

I'd have to say that i really don't like way that the background siren constantly fires throughout the track. I feel it achieves its purpose within 2 bars...

I do agree that the melody doesn't sit well at all in this track, the cheese really resonates here.

The intro really shows signs of a great percussive techno track, then the claps come in way too heavy.

Not a huge fan of the bass line either, it doesn't really develop at all.

Might need to take it as a learning exercise.

Good work with that percussion though! Its very crisp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 pm 
Alf Garnett

Ha! I'll scrap that track and save the drumrack + chains for a better track :D (you guys usually criticize my percussion - I'm in a very confused state right now!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm 
Interchangeable

the percussion is great in that track

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
Gnasher

over9000 wrote:
Root wrote:
Edgy, warm, rolling was my goal. Been working for a longer time on this one now. This may be the first track that i'd call finished after treating my room. I'm curious what you think of this:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/fm-mix ... ks/s-6gdoF

that definitely sounds good! like the warmth and the sound design. the mix sounds good too. really like the flow & arrangement. how did you get everything so flowing into each other?
what i dont like is the detune automation on the lead, its too much imo. i like it when it comes a bit, but not as heavy as you got it in now. also some of the percussive sounds sound isolated, especially in the first part. maybe you could use more reverb on them in the intro, later its fine.
good track!

Thanks! That's right, i might work on the integration of some percussion elements in the beginning. And the detuning thingy, yep, i had first nearly no detuning, now it may be a bit too much. I'll leave it for a while and see how i like it then. The flow and a rolling arragement is just something i like a lot, so i follow whats in my head and this is the result. I guess there is no special trick or so..I used a lot of subtle automation, maybe this introduces a more organic feeling..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 pm 
Interchangeable

over9000 wrote:
heres something ive been working on:

https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/counter-mix2/s-sicem

very simple & short, but iam experimenting with arrangement techniques, mixing, not too much elements etc.
just tried to make something simple that works.
tell me what you think about the mix

your bass end sounds too boomy and muddy,
on monitors as well as on headphones.

most annoying thing is your lead-ish sound that is just playing the same pattern all the time,
and personally, I've had it with that pattern after 4 beats or so.

There's also a lot of percussion that has too much reverb on it if you ask me.
Problem is now the main things in your track drawing literally all the attention is that boomy low end and that ever repeating lead.
Percussion could distract you a bit from that and put things more into balance, but right now it's just drowning more because of too much reverb.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:
thank you for the feedback :) I wanted to make a completely rhythmic track (I had just found out how to control microtonic with the push and wanted to see how far I could get without looking too much at the computer) and then i ended up throwing that melody in there - I'm well aware of its cheese factor, though :D (a friend of mine said it stresses him!)

how far do you guys go with panning? I always only do it in quite small doses, but maybe it's cool to dive far into it?

haha, yeah, honestly, I could agree with cheesy shit stressing you out.
I kind of have the same thing : as soon as I hear something too cheesy, I just get annoyed, I can't fucking help it.
And cheesy doesn't mean emotional of course. There's lots of emotional stuff, even stuff that's been played to death, that just works.

btw, and totally random, but did you know that when Beethoven was composing his 9th symphony , he was so much into the "drive", that he was too lazy to leave his room to go to the toilet. So basically he was shitting right next to his piano, which meant that after a few days he had a nice little pile of shit next to it.
Picture that inside your head next time you hear that stupid "Ode An Die Freude" played somewhere... :lol:

Ow yeah, panning, I guess that's a hard thing to answer.
There's a few things to keep in mind...
First of all, I think this does seriously depend on the type of music you make.
(I mean, if you listen to old Regis or Surgeon tracks, I don't think anyone cares about panning on stuff lik that, to give just one example)
But since I do think you make similar music to me (=with enough melodic content injected and not straight up banger techno kind of stuff),
I guess I could just tell you a few tips that I use and they might work for your tracks as well (don't take my word for it though, and just test it out for yourself) :
Almost all the pads I use are mid/side EQ'ed, so if there is panning going on in the patch, it's still there, but obviously there will be almost no mid signal coming through.
I usually keep all my main percussion around the center, however, a little more off center than most people (I think).
Then everything like hats or cymbals or whatever... that just depends.
It's always nice to have some ping pong going on, but personally I find nothing more irritating than too much ping pong panning going on
(whether this is via delay or just panning only).
And the main rule is to listen and try to spread things evenly across the stereo spectrum.

None of the above are written in stone as far as I am concerned, except for maybe putting the kick/sub/bass in mono and totally centered.
I once even put my lead on the sides with mid/side, and put my pad in the middle. Somehow it just worked for that track at the time...
Experiment, but don't be shy. I think you'll hear it pretty soon if you overdid it with the panning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:59 pm 
Interchangeable

Root wrote:
Edgy, warm, rolling was my goal. Been working for a longer time on this one now. This may be the first track that i'd call finished after treating my room. I'm curious what you think of this:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/fm-mix ... ks/s-6gdoF

I've been meaning to get back to this for a few days.

There's a little noisy ringing sound on top of your track pretty much from the start,
probably from running stuff through something like a bit crusher or something.
If that's intended, then great, if not, then I'm just mentioning it to be a total cunt and all... ;)

I really like your lo-fi percussion (that sound at 0:22 at the left, wish it could actually just continue in a loop on top of the rest)

The little FX at 1:15, it could do with a little extra (more of the FX, and put in a little louder)
Actually, going back, I realize that's the same sound I mentioned hearing at 0:22
Bottom line : I think the sound could get a more prominent role in this track. :)

That pad at 2:23...
I had to go back to be sure it wasn't some other tab of my browser suddenly playing some sound.
It's a lovely sound, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the track.
If you'd make it sound more gritty, or make it play a different melody, perhaps it could work, but not as it is right now.

Other than that, I can only think your lead needs more variation.
Some modulation for the sound, but mostly just some variation in the riff,
because it can't carry the whole track as it is now.
Maybe if you put in some other melodic part or riff, but as it is now, you need more variation.

in general, nice atmosphere !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm 
Alf Garnett

Hades wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
thank you for the feedback :) I wanted to make a completely rhythmic track (I had just found out how to control microtonic with the push and wanted to see how far I could get without looking too much at the computer) and then i ended up throwing that melody in there - I'm well aware of its cheese factor, though :D (a friend of mine said it stresses him!)

how far do you guys go with panning? I always only do it in quite small doses, but maybe it's cool to dive far into it?

haha, yeah, honestly, I could agree with cheesy shit stressing you out.
I kind of have the same thing : as soon as I hear something too cheesy, I just get annoyed, I can't fucking help it.
And cheesy doesn't mean emotional of course. There's lots of emotional stuff, even stuff that's been played to death, that just works.

btw, and totally random, but did you know that when Beethoven was composing his 9th symphony , he was so much into the "drive", that he was too lazy to leave his room to go to the toilet. So basically he was shitting right next to his piano, which meant that after a few days he had a nice little pile of shit next to it.
Picture that inside your head next time you hear that stupid "Ode An Die Freude" played somewhere... :lol:

Ow yeah, panning, I guess that's a hard thing to answer.
There's a few things to keep in mind...
First of all, I think this does seriously depend on the type of music you make.
(I mean, if you listen to old Regis or Surgeon tracks, I don't think anyone cares about panning on stuff lik that, to give just one example)
But since I do think you make similar music to me (=with enough melodic content injected and not straight up banger techno kind of stuff),
I guess I could just tell you a few tips that I use and they might work for your tracks as well (don't take my word for it though, and just test it out for yourself) :
Almost all the pads I use are mid/side EQ'ed, so if there is panning going on in the patch, it's still there, but obviously there will be almost no mid signal coming through.
I usually keep all my main percussion around the center, however, a little more off center than most people (I think).
Then everything like hats or cymbals or whatever... that just depends.
It's always nice to have some ping pong going on, but personally I find nothing more irritating than too much ping pong panning going on
(whether this is via delay or just panning only).
And the main rule is to listen and try to spread things evenly across the stereo spectrum.

None of the above are written in stone as far as I am concerned, except for maybe putting the kick/sub/bass in mono and totally centered.
I once even put my lead on the sides with mid/side, and put my pad in the middle. Somehow it just worked for that track at the time...
Experiment, but don't be shy. I think you'll hear it pretty soon if you overdid it with the panning.

hehe, first year of musicology we had to read all the counterpoint rules (they're sort of written into a law at some point) - the melody there is basically the first law of melody in counterpoint, which I just threw in there for the fun of it :D (it could probably end up sounding a bit bach-esque if it got worked on)

I didn't know that stuff about Beethoven, but holy fuck that's dedication! It should be a new benchmark for checking if you've tried hard enough. "is this finished? well there's poop in my pants, so it must be" or something 8-)

Thanks for the tips on panning! I went back and listened to some tracks afterwards (strictly listening for panning) and I realized there's more left/right going on than what I initially thought, so there's definitely room to play with - I'm just always nervous to make people dizzy when they listen to things I make ...I'll think I should go panning till I poop my pants (I also never tried doing mid/side EQ before, so there's something new I learned)

all in all thanks - once again - for the long answer :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm 
pregnant

over9000 wrote:
heres something ive been working on:

https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/counter-mix2/s-sicem

very simple & short, but iam experimenting with arrangement techniques, mixing, not too much elements etc.
just tried to make something simple that works.
tell me what you think about the mix

the bass and kick are way too muddy i think you used way too much reverb on those parts
the lead sound is Always there, try to filter it in and out and try to change the sound over time
it sounds like a loop for 6 min sorry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
pregnant

mix sounds a little bit muddy
i had to turn up the volume to hear the sounds properly
intro is too long
but the percussion is really great
microtonic is really good for that
tsja that melody doesnt really fit the tune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
pregnant

any thoughts on this one
tried some different techniques
https://soundcloud.com/hanosams/dont-be ... ut/s-7U0gs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177