Line level to instrument level conversion

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Line level to instrument level conversion

Post by Planar »

Bit of a easy question for all you hardware experts.

I've got a few guitar pedals that people have given me over the last couple of years that I've never really used. So I've decided I'm going to have a go resampling some sounds through them. As I'm not particularly bothered about this kind of thing usually, I've realised that my signals are line level and these pedals are going to need instrument level signals. My sound card doesn't have an instrument level output, so is there a simple and cheap way of getting the signal converted to bring the level down and match the impedance?

Getting the signal back up to line level isn't an issue, btw.

intrusav
Rolf Harris
Re: Line level to instrument level conversion

Post by intrusav »

Em...turn it down?! Only joking ☺..

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

If you're not too picky about it, you can actually just turn the signal going to the pedal down a bit, and it'll be ok. The worst that happens is the impedance mismatch will throw your eq off a bit. If you're generally just mucking up your sounds for new sounds, this is probably not important.

If you're doing some very subtle work with the pedals, then use what's called a Reamp Box.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah. Turn the line output down (pretty much what I do and I go OTB through fx a lot) or get one of thesehttp://www.reamp.com
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Much appreciated, lads, there's not a very straight answer about this in all the places i looked. This is going to be some bass noise fuckery, so I can deal with the impedance/eq side of things.