Ableton 10

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Ableton 10

Post by dubdub »

I bought a used Push 1 recently and the learning curve is very easy, I definitely haven't mastered it yet but it becomes very intuitive after just a few weeks. V2 is probably even easier. I don't think the learning curve for Live10 is going to be very big either, there aren't any drastic workflow changes, just lots of little things.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Fair play doing that out for everyone :p
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

From musictech magazine:

Minimum system requirements

Mac: OS X 10.11.6, Intel Core 2 Duo processor
PC: 64-bit Windows 7, 64-bit Intel or AMD multi-core processor
Intel Core i5 processor or faster recommended
4 GB RAM (8GB or more recommended)
Approx. 3GB disk space for the basic installation (8GB recommended)
5GB to 76GB disk space for additional sound content depending on version installed
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Any beta testers able to comment on how L10 compares to L9 regarding cpu?

Does it require a lot of juice to run smoothly?

Any noticeable improvements to latency.. or still around the same?

arkos

Post by arkos »

Críoch wrote:Any beta testers able to comment on how L10 compares to L9 regarding cpu?

Does it require a lot of juice to run smoothly?

Any noticeable improvements to latency.. or still around the same?
I don't find it any heavier on the cpu but I'm not the one who use's Live's built in instruments that much though.

Most improvement I find is to how it handles warping audio it really sucks going back to 9 and having to fix warped files all the time. Also it's much easier on the eyes even just for short sessions, recording automation has also been improved a lot imo with the Automation Arm button. After using version 10 for a year it's next to impossible to go back to 9 for me.

Not sure what you mean about latency, talking about plugin delay compensation ?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cool. Thanks for that. Do you mind me asking the spec of your computer? You sound like you had no major difficulties.

Yeah.. latency around recording audio in. I gave up on perfection. Just wondering if there's been anything new or earth shattering there?

arkos

Post by arkos »

Críoch wrote:Cool. Thanks for that. Do you mind me asking the spec of your computer? You sound like you had no major difficulties.

Yeah.. latency around recording audio in. I gave up on perfection. Just wondering if there's been anything new or earth shattering there?
My pc is ancient, five years old :D i7 3770k overclocked to 4.3 ghz 16 gb ram. Can't say about recording through my audio interface as I've been lazy using my 0-coast, just using Elektrons via usb.

But you know what I'll power up the 0-coast and check it out.

Edit; Just went back to 9 and recorded and it seem's to be the same I'd say after trying out both.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

A thorough review!! Man.. really appreciate that.

Aye.. it's always just a bit off for me, no matter what I do. Sometimes it's just easier to shift some audio around instead. Life is way too short.

Thanks again :)

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Just to give you some ideas, I'm using an 7 year old (maybe EVEN older release date) laptop with 1st gen i5-430M processor. The times my cpu goes over 100% are some of the soft synths with the highest oversampling rate. Such as U-He Diva, Diversion, Serum. Never had any problems with native Ableton plugins.

64 bit Win7 with 8GB ram.

https://ark.intel.com/products/43537/In ... e-2_26-GHz

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Excellent. Great stuff.. really good to hear that there's still life in the old dogs :)

I'm (hopefully) getting a late 2012 2.3ghz i7 Mac mini with 16gb Ram at some point in the near future.. so I'm sure to get a good bit of fun out of it.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Don't quote me on that but I think unless you go hardcore gaming or some 3D stuff you don't really need to upgrade your hardware every couple years. The only reason I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop is because it'd be great to get the latest USB i/o and maybe a better screen.

Also regardless of the age the SSD upgrade alone do wonders.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

SSD.. yeah, that's what I'm planning to do once I get a new machine. It's a good idea.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

my computer is 9 years old lol. its a q6600 with 4gb of ram. i did an ssd upgrade a few years ago and it gave it a new lease of life, but now its really starting to struggle. I have thought about just upgrading the motherboard, processor and ram and doing a self build and upgrading the rest later. might just get one on finance just need to get christmas out of the way first eh.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Monreal wrote:Don't quote me on that but I think unless you go hardcore gaming or some 3D stuff you don't really need to upgrade your hardware every couple years. The only reason I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop is because it'd be great to get the latest USB i/o and maybe a better screen.

Also regardless of the age the SSD upgrade alone do wonders.
(quoting you anyways, lol :lol:)

It depends on what you are doing. DSP doesn't scale in a linear way in regards to CPU. A lot of audio processing is mind boggingly CPU intensive by default, so much that no consumer computer could run it without the devs cutting corners aller over the place (this doesn't necessarily effect the sound all that much although it definitely can). A lot of plugins that cut corners are very low CPU load even for older computer these days but if you are into cutting edge hardware modelling stuff like Softube Modular or Acustica Audio stuff that is increasingly cutting less and less corners, you absolutely do need the latest and most beastly CPU if you really want to go hard with it. I've heard Softube Modular even murders people with beastly machines once you really get patchin'.

Until this summer is was working on a pretty decent 2011 desktop and my projects were hitting 90-100% CPU pretty regularily. It's much better now (still got no top of the line i7 or anything) but still, there's plugins where if I turn on oversampling and whack them on the master that's 15-20% CPU right there.

Funnily enough, gaming hardware requirements have actually become very mild because these days almost everything is developed for consoles (which are years behind compared to top of the line PCs and even struggle against cheap/mid-tier PCs) primarily, there are few very Crysis-esque games anymore. Actually, compare Crysis with a lot of games from 2017 and you'll see that graphics definitely have stagnated.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

on occasions im hitting 120%. its a nightmare. im going to have to start making minimal.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I'm glad they did something about the loading times because when I bought a new pc I was kinda disappointed about (the not much improvement) loading times. After a internet search the problem seemed to come from the software itself.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I've just got my beta serial, so it doesn't look like you have to wait long if you want in...

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

Got access to the beta yesterday and had a little play.

I'm quite excited about Wavetable based on my initial noodling. Operator has always been my go to synth because I love inharmonic/metallic sounds, but I tend to stick with stock instruments. I find VSTs don't really work well with Push and I don't really like popup windows and custom UIs. Operator is great in that it packs a lot of functionality into a small space but it's not always the easiest to experiment in. Wavetable on the other hand feels quite modern with the mod matrix, and things like the super simple transform controls and unison options get interesting results with very little mucking around. The UI is slick and easy to use. It's lacking custom wavetables at the moment but the included set seems pretty extensive and I think others have already figured out how to hack custom ones in. Obviously inspired by things like Serum but having it in a stock device is great for me, looking forward to seeing how easy sound design is with it on the Push.

Max improvements seem great. Much quicker to load, devices seem more responsive, no UI glitching when you scroll the device list. The LFO fixes I mentioned in another thread are incorporated so no distortion from LFO use.

Haven't had time to test anything else yet but very happy with what I've seen so far.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

Another thing - the new automation editing is so much better. I always struggled creating complex automation with Live but the new controls do exactly what I expect every time. You can drag line segments, break points and selections in all directions. It snaps to horizontal grid unless you hold down command. You can drag sections of automation through and past other automation.

I hated the previous automation editing so much I think I'd pay for the upgrade for this alone.