'Mr Tubbs' - Jordanneke

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
'Mr Tubbs' - Jordanneke

Post by jordanneke »

Still on the house tip, something a bit more technical (hopefully).

Any thoughts?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: 'Mr Tubbs' - Jordanneke

Post by dubdub »

Nice track! The drum programming is on point. Can't hear any major issues in the mix. Just a few ideas you could try that came to mind. That drum panned to the left could have a bit more in the lows I'd say. The kick feels a tad bit synthetic for this kind of track, could maybe use a touch of tube saturation or something, which would also make it cut through the mix a bit more. Or trying layering with a more organic sounding sample on top. Those bassy toms might need just a bit more compression. The mix overall would benefit a touch more saturation I think. The pad in the break feels a bit too thin and highpassed. Those main chords could also use just a bit more information in the lows and warming up maybe. I'd try a bit more delay/reverb on the vocals to make them gel with the mix a bit more.

Just personal preference but I think the intro is too long for ~6 Minute track, as it is the track is 30% intro/breaks. You could also easily add another 2 minutes of beats, the "climax" part where everything comes together is only a minute, which feels like wasted potential to me!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks man, really glad you like it.

There is quite a lot going on with the drums, so I was a bit worried about the mix. The toms, bass, kick, the hats, rides and the 3 different claps are all my work, but there is also a loop working its way through all of that.

The loop was split into three bands and each treated separately, hence this is probably the most technical thing I've attempted, so the drums panned to the left, do have lows, but they are side chained to the kick. Maybe I could let more through to the middle band.

The chords probably do sound thin, as I was worried about the lows making everything muddy as there is a lot going on lower down. I'll let some more through and see what happens. I can let more in during the break for sure.

The kick, yeah, it was quite heavily overdriven as it began life as an aggressive garage track, and so quite synthetic. I take your point.

I guess it's good that you thought that the climax ended too soon, which means you weren't bored by then. That's always a worry of mine, that people get bored by my arrangements as my tracks don't have lots of 'drug noises' or clever elements/fx coming in and out all the time. I'll add maybe another 16 bars and see how that sounds.

Thanks again for the golden advice man. When are you going to post again?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The mix is definitely not way too clinical and it has a nice balance/sense of space, I just think this kind of track could be a bit more on the gritty side.

It's definitely not getting boring - I quickly skip through most of the tracks here but I listened to this in full multiple times! The quick high-passed break at 1:55 feels quite nice, maybe work more of that type of thing in there instead of the big break and intro. I don't think the track is necessarily too long, I keep most of my tracks between 6-7 as well, the break and intro just take up so much time that it's really a 4 minute track.

I just didn't have anything to post recently, been fairly stressed out lately (procastination..) and I'm always having a hard time actually finishing anything in that state of mind since the track ends up taking up all my mental space until it's finished which is a bit shit if I'm supposed to get other stuff done. So I've been doing mostly quick shitty loops and sound design excersizes. But I did finish a shitty track today which I will upload later :lol:

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ok, I made a few changes, and the title has been changed too.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Really like this, Jordan, it sounds different to your usual stuff, yet still you. I can't really comment on the mixdown with my earbuds I'm listening through, but you're usually on-point with them anyway and it sounds fine through them fwiw.

I like how the groove gets a new context when the kick comes in, even if its a pain when you beatmatch tracks like this. Like I've said before, you have that old west coast house sound to your tracks, which I love, and a touch of UR in this one with the strings. Great work.

Tiny nitpicks: I'd prefer the hats to stop in the main breakdown before everything comes back in to maximise the impact there and the outro is a little too short for how I'd play a track like this.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

sounds nice,
I like the track connective the most but a little less reverb so it becomes subtle might be nice, or a high shelf behind the reverb to make the room darker.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

wicked tune jordan. can see this kickstarting a tribal-ish tech house revival, if it hasn't started already (it probably has in Ibiza or somewhere.)

proper drum programming too. love the clap. low end is overflowing with energy, not easy to pull this off and keep the kick defined.

agree the reverb could be tamed, it gives the hats and melodic sounds a bit dreamy-techno vibe when the foundation of the tune is darker and tougher than that. i guess you could choose which vibe you want there.

arrangement is fine too. I know what you mean by "drug noises", i wish I knew how to use those better as they're often the only thing separating top notch bedroom stuff from the biggest tunes of the night. but you don't need them when you have as many elements as you have here, where you can rotate them without anyone losing interest.

got to be releasable.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks everyone for the listens, and really happy that most of you like it.

I'll look at the suggestions that you've said.

Is it worthy of a release? Maybe-ish, but as I've mentioned before, I'm a complete no-one, and have no connections. So I'll probably send out a three track demo, and have no-one open the email, and they'll sit on my hard-drive til I give em away in 6 months or so,

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

this was really nice!

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

I like the drums. sounds 'alive' with nice reverb tails all sitting well together.
the kick needs some work. sounds a bit distorted. not suitable for this track I think.
I don t have anything to point out for this track. good job!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Played this track over my studio monitors, there is a lot of oomph in your kick drum, sounds fat, not going overboard imo! The balancing of your percussion is also neatly done, love the groove.
And I also want to point out that this track deserves to be released. ;)
Mining for gold on planet earth.

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

Really liked it man! Just listened through my monitors and actually enjoyed the track. The only thing that bothered me a little was that the low end could have a little less tail / oomph. But this is probably a mastering concern if at all. Nice job!!!

fran cisco
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by fran cisco »

Wow! has all the jungle, I love it, I would like to put it in some set for everyone to dance this. beautiful house men

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Very much enjoying this track Jordan!

Intro felt a little dark initially but it seriously freshens up when that nice crispy loop fades in for the kick to begin. The claps add to the groove immeasurably, especially with the delayed hit at the end of every other bar. I actually like how the chords sit quite high up the spectrum to allow all that percussion to do it's thing... the vocals keep the interest really strong along with switching up the 909ish OH and ride too.

I can imagine dancing to this at a beach party on some South East Asian Island as the sun goes down.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

Happy you like it

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Really loving this man, your hard work on house music is paying off. if you want you can gather your house tracks and i could send to a friend who is a house DJ and she plays regularly in great clubs i can see her playing this for sure!!! great great work
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

i.am.buried
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by i.am.buried »

like this mate. listened all the way through which is a good sign...kept me interested.

myname
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by myname »

dig the track - good groove to it. Tho I felt the drum panned left did take up too much of my attention, maybe made the drums feel a bit lopsided in the stereo field

Also I checked out your other song medial realllly liked it.
Could you say how you went about processing the kick in it? And what sort of automated changes did you make so that when it came back in at 3:24 it had this really nice underground rumble to it.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Really like this a lot, simple tracky stuff is hard to get right and still maintain interest. Really nice use of the stereo field with the percussion in the beginning. A good solid kick and great groove from the clap type noise once it gets going. The vocal samples sit really well within the mix with just the right amount of reverb.

The keys might be a little high in the mix but I’m listening on headphones and truly just nit picking at this stage.

Overall I really enjoyed this, it’s DJ tool stuff that’s not going to set the world on fire but I guess you know that anyway. Well done.