Salyut 7

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Den Bosch
brown envelope
Salyut 7

Post by Den Bosch »

So this is the first track I've ever fully finished, mixed and "mastered". Any feedback whatsoever will be very much appreciated. Thanks for listening!

timc3
Back Bling
Re: Salyut 7

Post by timc3 »

Nice ideas and some interesting sounds. Like the dirty distorted “string” drone line that comes in. Maybe the shaker is a little loud and the hats are too quiet.

I am not listening in the best environment and I haven't a/b'd it with tracks that I know but I am not sure that the levels are correct. For me too much high mids, to the point of it being harsh.

Looking forward to hearing some more from you!

Trip-Roddd
Exampleless

Post by Trip-Roddd »

I like the kick (not clasical 4/4) and strings (sometimes sounds like a electrical saw).. did you change it with a lfo? Nice break between the minute 3:00 and 3:30 but I expected something different I missed some surprises, which keep me in the dancefloor

pafavag
sad bastard

Post by pafavag »

Nice track man. I like the sound design. Totally not my style but still very interesting. Just he sound that comes in at the end of the break down makes it too sci-fi for my taste. But it all comes together very nicely.
Trip-Roddd wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:53 am
I expected something different I missed some surprises
Isn't that a contradiction?
For me it's not really a dancing track so I'm alright with this kind of breakdown.

The only thing I would change is probably the kick sequence. Since it's already not 4/4 I would see it even less mechanical, with some variation in velocity and maybe more off the grid. On the other hand it's the only counterpoint to the floating and droning rest of the track so maybe it's better this way.

I can't say anything about technical aspect. Sounded good to me.

Vandalsounds
Onions

Post by Vandalsounds »

Nice track with interesting progression! My input:
- The break could have dipped or you could have added some details to make the transition over to where the track started again a bit more interesting.
- That droning sound could have toned down a bit earlier after the break to make the later part of the song stand out a bit.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

There are some great ideas in here, but the arrangement needs tidying up quite a bit.

It's too introspective, and sounds like you jammed it out and got used to listen to it. To me there's no real song structure.

I'd let it alone for 2 weeks or so, then come back to it with fresh ears.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The hats don't really fit in with the rest of the mix, they are too bright and loud and just stand out. When you say "mastered", did you compress/limit it etc.? It sounds a bit flat. But I think it's also the bass, it's just not very dynamic when it should have some nice punch and swing. Both the kick and bass are very sort of block-y and plastic-ish sounding, the click of the kick is also extremly loud, which sort of masks the rest of what's happening in the lows, you definitely need bring the click down. I sort of like the midrange-ish stuff, but it also sounds very cramped and enclosed, could be a bit brighter and have more width and use some EQing to clean up resonances etc.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

I agree with what's already been posted but my two cents is there is a "tingy" thing with a sharp attack that I don't like too much and I'd try a transient shaper on that. Comes in after 01:30 I believe.