Post by jim_kezzle »

Hi another new track once again feedback welcome

https://soundcloud.com/jim-sandford/kno/s-btK4C

RWise
durchfall
Re: Jim Sandford - Kno

Post by RWise »

Nice production.

The 808 ride cymbal on the 2/4 and off beat 909 hat sound too dry. They need some short reverb to place them in a space to give a more industrial sound.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

shit posted wrong version
meant this one
https://soundcloud.com/jim-sandford/kno-1/s-8aKph

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

I like the progressive buildup till ~1:50 - it generates big tension for me - wanting me to do robotic mechanic moves on the floor :D
That whitenoise/steam sound works great. The following part without this metallized drone sound unfortunately don't work for me...
After 2 minutes it goes on again...^^

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

Oh, new version. Haha - discarded the wrong element. (but thats only my opinion)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don`t think the groove really works - rhythmically. Nothing drives the energy forwards, the (too loud and bright) hat sits on the beat, making the groove very stiff, there isn`t really anything acting as a response to the kick, nor does the bass act sympathetically with the bass. Due to this the groove doesn`t flow so it just drags the whole thing out making it seem like it takes forever to get anywhere.

There is the metallic, fm-like percussion which could work to balance against the kick, but as it is set up in the mix currently, it doesn`t. If the clonks had some more weight and a touch more level, then they might act more cohesively with the kick.

Mixwise the lows are very cloudy, can`t feel much below the kick, no weight in the 35hz-110hz region stops this from having real grunt and power. Some top end elements are a little too bright, but this could be dealt with by opening out the cramped mix in the lows and low mids.
A common problem when a mix is too muddy is that the mix is tree shaped. Dense and narrow in the lows, open and airy in the tops. So addressing this would help the mix sound fuller and more cohesive.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

Lost to the Void wrote:I don`t think the groove really works - rhythmically. Nothing drives the energy forwards, the (too loud and bright) hat sits on the beat, making the groove very stiff, there isn`t really anything acting as a response to the kick, nor does the bass act sympathetically with the bass. Due to this the groove doesn`t flow so it just drags the whole thing out making it seem like it takes forever to get anywhere.

There is the metallic, fm-like percussion which could work to balance against the kick, but as it is set up in the mix currently, it doesn`t. If the clonks had some more weight and a touch more level, then they might act more cohesively with the kick.

Mixwise the lows are very cloudy, can`t feel much below the kick, no weight in the 35hz-110hz region stops this from having real grunt and power. Some top end elements are a little too bright, but this could be dealt with by opening out the cramped mix in the lows and low mids.
A common problem when a mix is too muddy is that the mix is tree shaped. Dense and narrow in the lows, open and airy in the tops. So addressing this would help the mix sound fuller and more cohesive.
basically shit then lol

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No not at all.
Bare in my I do all my critical listening in a mastering studio, so I'm only concerned with corrections and inblanances etc.
It's all a matter of degrees.
New Shit

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Try not to dismiss your tracks from critical feedback.

Take every bit of feedback with a pinch of salt. Try out things people have mentioned but if certain parts of creative feedback dont work for you, then dont do it.

YOU being happy with your music is what matters out of everything.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I've listened to this a few times. Whilst technically it sounds ok to me, but Steve is a bit of a don when it comes to the technical aspects.

But when I a/b it with a mastered tune, I can hear what he's talking about.

It kinda just plods along though, 8 minutes is quite a while.

Perhaps you can try shifting the start point of the bass to get the groove right, as it stands now, the way the percussion is, it's too on beat, too straight. Like marching music, and hence not groovy.

It's not all bad though, defo not shit.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

The groove is subjective in this case though. The marching groove works for the type of track in my opinion.

Theres a place for every type of track in a set. Listen to a Kobosil set for example - This track sounds like it would happily fit into a part of his set as he varies between these marching groove kinda tracks.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Not really that subjective, there are methods in drumming to drive a stiff marching beat forwards (I am a drummer) (or drag it back), and be fairly objective about it.
Generally if you are very much on the 1s and 2's the you bridge the beats together with an open hat, a ride or a floor tom, something with some sustain (in drummers terms). Or the bass player provides that bridge by leading the 1 to the 3, or if you want it really stiff, the 1 to the 2, rather than syncopating.

If you don't do that in some way, the beat drags out.
New Shit

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I have to second LttV's point. In my words: I am missing something that answers the kick and gives the track more a bit of a round groove. Technically it sounds good to me. Maybe introduce a rim shot to give it a groove and variety, or another hi hat, or you arrange the elements you have a bit different. Hope that helpsssss