It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cells
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:45 am 
rescued

Just finished this one. Going to make the outro more interesting later on. Please let me know what you think =)

https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/cells/s-EZeR7

Post subject: Re: Cells
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm 
Anti-Gearslut

Mix sounds solid, track is also decent but it just sounds a bit vanilla and clinical overall. Would really benefit from some analog modelled treatment to give it a bit more interesting texture and flavour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 pm 
Repeat

You know what you're doing. That's obvious.

Problem is is that as well produced as this, it's as forgettable.

What I really mean is that you are much more talented/ skilled than me, so I think you should try to make more of a stamp. You have the skills.

(I'm a b it drunk, so excuses if it sounds rude)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:14 pm 
rescued

dubdub wrote:
Mix sounds solid, track is also decent but it just sounds a bit vanilla and clinical overall. Would really benefit from some analog modelled treatment to give it a bit more interesting texture and flavour.

a bit of saturation eh? I was going to run it through omega a and some other plugs but the project maxed out xD going to bounce the stems and work from there

jordanneke wrote:
You know what you're doing. That's obvious.

Problem is is that as well produced as this, it's as forgettable.

What I really mean is that you are much more talented/ skilled than me, so I think you should try to make more of a stamp. You have the skills.

(I'm a b it drunk, so excuses if it sounds rude)

Ya not rude at all, and you know what, you're right about it not being that memorable loll it's the first track I've finished in a while coming from months of unfinished tunes. I'll work on it more today, thanks =)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 pm 
pregnant

Well produced and pleasant to listen to. But for me its too clinical and 'vanilla' like dubdub pointed out..

The vibe youre going for does work with the clean production style, but i think you could change up a few things to make the track more unique and give it more character. Something as simple as using some sort of field recording for a hat/percussion would work wonders in giving your track more identity.

Taking that extra step of detail with some elements can make your track stand apart from others, instead of maybe just reaching for a 909 hat or something.

Be interested to hear you can do if you decide to play around with it more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 pm 
Exampleless

yes needs a bit of grit in their somewhere, the hats are too quiet and its lacking some other elements. Nice work so far though

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 pm 
Interchangeable

Can`t add too much to what has been said.
The mix is solid, maybe lacking a little final polish to give it the hi-tech sound you are going for.

The mix is a touch woolly in the high bass area and could do with more air 12k+ so it sparkles (a little more stereo in the high frequency region would also lift this up along with the standard for Hi-Tech/Prog).

The track is a little unengaging. It doesn`t really draw me in anywhere, as said above.... a touch "Vanilla".

Some kind of hook would really help finish it all off, it feels like it is waiting to say something, but never gets around to saying it.

Finally the mix could do with more, not grit..... it wouldn't suit the track...... Harmonic and non linearity is was it needs.
Maybe running to tape, or tape emulation, and a nice clean transformer/preamp (emulation if ITB) just to wet it down and add some sing song harmonics.
A touch of wow and flutter might also help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm 
BAD

This is really missing a climax for me. There is a constant tension - but no point where the filters open to fire up some energy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:43 pm 
rescued

Thank you all for the feedback guys :D Have not checked the thread in a while and did some fixing before I saw everyones feedback. Think its a bit more progressive than techno now, but i'll post a link to show ya what I got now anyway :)

https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/cell ... ed/s-iJFoV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:28 pm 
BAD

Listened to the new version right now. I like the new hats!
The ride I'd prefer coming in at 4:06 after the break - (that would give me bit of a climax that I missed in the first version)
Did you modulate the rides? Sounds to me like they're underwater (but could also be mp3-artifacts from soundcloud)
Anyways... I like it, trancy and clean!