Voidloss - Cyclic Emotions (Lumiere Variation)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Voidloss - Cyclic Emotions (Lumiere Variation)

Post by Lost to the Void »

So, finally working on a new Voidloss EP after working on other projects.
Decided to take the Voidloss thing away from harder, industrial stuff and go back to deeper territory.
This is a new track extrapolating on the last track I posted here, based on some Reichian principles.
Very slowly developing melodies, so quite a long track, but introducing changes more quickly just didn`t work.
Some very deep bass in this one.

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Voidloss - Cyclic Emotions (Lumiere Variation)

Post by dubdub »

I quite like the bass and the synths. Those offbeat hats/shakers running through the entire track is a bit much, I think. Also those 16ths coming in at 4:15 give the track a bit of a nervous energy it doesn't necessarily need to my ears.

I think the track could do completely without the hats actually, the synth programming is interesting enough.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah something really odd is going on with the top end percussion and I can`t seem to EQ it away, the harmonics still sound weird..
I ran some mid-side phase distortion over the master bus, it`s what is giving the kick drum that non linear, slightly random tonal/velocity movement.
It`s done something really weird to the top end percussion though, I`m going to have to work out some way of rolling the effect off of the top end, maybe build a rack and multiband it somehow. It`s a fairly new technique to me.
I`ll dig in to it this week and see if I can solve it.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've always felt a bit weird with anything multiband. Is it fine to use if it's not multiband dynamics?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well, it`s not multiband, that`s the problem, it`s effecting everything, if I can get it to work multiband then I can just have the phase distortion on the mids and lows. I`ll try building a rack and doing it that way.
New Shit

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

I am a great fan of minimalistic and abstract stuff, this one its really good, i really liked the whole percussion layering along with that cavernous kick and the overall construction.

In my personal opinion i would take the hats off as dubdub said above (or probably switch them for some field recording sound), the synths make the job perfectly and those pads are amazing,

Great track

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

I liked the vibe hats/shakers gave to the track, I'd just bring them back a little more, it's a bit annoying after a while. very interesting track. cheers!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I really like this.

It's kinda weird, has a real trendy house kick n bass, but some abstract dreamy techno on top. Love the genre mashing.

Second what's been said about the percussion that comes in at the 4 min mark. Maybe it just takes up room of things that were quite pleasurable to listen to before. Synth work is great.

I have to ask, how did you get the kick, groove bass/kick and the bass all to work? I ask because I've spent a long time just to achieve just 2/3 to gel. Is it all careful eq notches and dips?

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

nice track, really like the deep sounds a lot!

kick might use a bit more punch in my opinion and that melody that comes in around 4.40 takes away from the mysteriosness (is that a word?) of the strings, to bad, because up until that point I was drifting away and felt something big was comming, but that sound felt like a anticlimax for me...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:
I have to ask, how did you get the kick, groove bass/kick and the bass all to work? I ask because I've spent a long time just to achieve just 2/3 to gel. Is it all careful eq notches and dips?
EQ cuts here and there, a little sidechain compression, and a kick that doesn`t actually go as low as the bassline, but sounds it due to harmonic distortion.
Also when the bassline fades in a small low cut fades on the kick, cutting out the lows on them as they are no longer needed to fill out the track.

I`ve finished this off now.
Top end is different, softer. Kick is different, a little more subtle.
I ran this on to really old tape stock too, and then played it through a bunch of times at high speed before finally recording down for finishing, so the sound is nicely (well, nice to me) eroded.

New Shit

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

really nice track. not sure if its just me but in both versions when the track opens up in the second half the bass seems way too heavy, the second one you hear that its sidechained but I still think its too much

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

This track really is a fantastic, relaxing journey. That irregular rumbling of the kickdrum is disturbing me a bit. But it's getting out of focus when the melodies coming in.