Deep Minor (Fast, moody, deep house inspired techno)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
RWise
durchfall
Deep Minor (Fast, moody, deep house inspired techno)

Post by RWise »

So this was originally meant to be a house track. I made a house beat to go alongside the original chords but i started speeding up the project more and more and before you know, it turned into a techno tip...

Happy with the end result though. Tried to add a lot of groove throughout and im happy with the overall moodiness of the track.

Would love to know if you think its shit or like it, with constructive words. :)

Ciao

https://soundcloud.com/renewise/rene-wi ... or/s-yFvgG

(Unmastered just so you know)
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Deep Minor (Fast, moody, deep house inspired techno)

Post by dubdub »

I like the mix and all the sounds but the big problem in the track is that the chords don't really resolve because of the two step progession. It creates a very uneasy, nervous atmosphere that doesn't fit with the house-y sound of the chords. You need to add maybe two or three more steps to the progression (can be sporadically, just a resolve at some point).

I think the track also needs another melodic element towards the second half, maybe a melodic pad an octave higher or a string.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

dubdub wrote:I like the mix and all the sounds but the big problem in the track is that the chords don't really resolve because of the two step progession. It creates a very uneasy, nervous atmosphere that doesn't fit with the house-y sound of the chords. You need to add maybe two or three more steps to the progression (can be sporadically, just a resolve at some point).

I think the track also needs another melodic element towards the second half, maybe a melodic pad an octave higher or a string.
Yeah that makes sense. Was a bit nervous to add a longer chord progression as i didnt want to make the track sound too progressive as i was going for the early DVS1 klockworks vibe, but listening back i can hear room for some added changes now. Will give it a try.

ricardoperazzo
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by ricardoperazzo »

really good work! the only thing i would maybe change would be the main chord (the pad one) and give it another dynamic by maybe making 2/3 different patterns!
in geral i really liked it, very groovy and a deep... and fast :D

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

RWise wrote:
dubdub wrote:I like the mix and all the sounds but the big problem in the track is that the chords don't really resolve because of the two step progession. It creates a very uneasy, nervous atmosphere that doesn't fit with the house-y sound of the chords. You need to add maybe two or three more steps to the progression (can be sporadically, just a resolve at some point).

Yeah that makes sense. Was a bit nervous to add a longer chord progression as i didnt want to make the track sound too progressive as i was going for the early DVS1 klockworks vibe, but listening back i can hear room for some added changes now. Will give it a try.
I know what you mean but I think DVS1 especially is really good at that tension-resolve game. Like in this track, the underlying chords are a three-note progression but still there is quite a lot of tension in both the harmonies and the groove, which is resolved sporadically by the claps, the hihats coming in and out and those the way the ascending-descending pattern of those lower notes changes throughout the track. If he had just looped the first two minutes the track would be agonizing to listen to. You can find similiar themes in almost all of his tracks.

You do a good job with the delay on that clap-ish sound (I think you could let it hang in a little longer, it fades a bit abrupt), the reverb burts and that open hat fill, it just needs to extend to the more melodic elements. I would probably also try extending the patterjs those notes around 2:15 so it goes up a bit, which creates tension and then down again for the release. It works well with these dissonant kinda patterns, they sound a bit uncomfortable ascending which creates a nice comfy resolve when they come back down.

youtu.be/HxAlrilK4lE

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

i like the overall atmosphere A LOT! nice sounddesign, good and easy groove, airy and hypnotic pads. i'd second that you can win with a better chord progression, other than just the two chords now. choose wisely ;). that element from 2:56 on could be bit clearer, it feels a bit muddy in the center.
:geek:

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Dude, I like that track, do you want to work on a project or something, i'm live near by :)

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

juodas wrote:Dude, I like that track, do you want to work on a project or something, i'm live near by :)

haha thanks man, i appreciate the offer but im not looking to collaborate atm as i am already doing enough projects with other people in my city. :lol:

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

RWise wrote:
juodas wrote:Dude, I like that track, do you want to work on a project or something, i'm live near by :)

haha thanks man, i appreciate the offer but im not looking to collaborate atm as i am already doing enough projects with other people in my city. :lol:
Damn maan, good for ya :D

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

It's a nice track. very good vibe. At the first listening I tought the hats where to much (which gave a pushy feel to the track), but on the second listening, they felt just right :). good work

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I do like the groove and the percussion, they keep the whole thing interesting and are nicely chosen. Good one. Have to agree with the others, something has to happen with the chords or alternatively you introduce something new to enhance the chords. Would like to hear version 2 then.

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

that. imo the progression is the only thing really missing. otherwise really nice track. i usually like strange/crazy/experimental melodic parts but in this case i'd just resolve the tension. sometimes breaking some "rules" and deviating from a familiar sound/structure works, sometimes don't. cheers!

rabbit
Unfriended

Post by rabbit »

heya!

Imo it does not always need to resolve. I like it quite often if it is like this. Especially while jumping around the dancefloor.
I like it! Nice design, sounds (so far) very doable within the club.

The one thing i dont like:
Sometimes the timing of the airy pad thingy kind of sucks a bit. But this is only at two or three times in the track, it just does not feel comfortable to me and those stuff irritates me in the club.
over.

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

this is nice and groovy, I dont have any feedback for you, good job =)

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Yeah it's good. I think it's optional to make tracks that do a million things, or else just provide a solid groove with minimal variety (fills, breakdowns, etc.). I say this because DJs will use the two kinds of tracks differently.

Tracks where the producer really wants their track put on a pedestal doing all these things from beginning to end, might get played longer all on their own, but get played less often unless they're totally amazing.

Workhorse tracks that are simple and easy to mix in and out of might get played more but only played for a tiny bit on their own, or even not at all (esp. with DJs mixing on 3 or 4 decks).

I prefer the latter because it's fun to make the actual music in the mix. DJ sets that wind up being a string of hotdogs are less interesting for me.

Agreed with rabbit if he's talking about the bit that comes in at 1:43, 2:56 etc. It's a bit less aesthetic than all the other sounds.

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

nice track but i agree with the others about the chord progression
you can have the 2 chord progression but change some 8 bars with a variation
song needs a better outro aswell
but nice track