A vocal house track I produced for a singer friend of mine

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Barfunkel
Smalahove
A vocal house track I produced for a singer friend of mine

Post by Barfunkel »

An online friend of mine sent me an unfinished track of his, basically a 3 minute loop with those vocals on top and asked me to do something about it, like an extended club version. I used the vocal (chopped up to create the looped bit in the beginning and the end, the verses in the middle are intact), the epiano and a tiny bit of the drums and basically made a whole new track out of those.

As usual, made with Reaper and pretty much only free plugins.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: A vocal house track I produced for a singer friend of mi

Post by dubdub »

Sounds nice! Reminds me a lot of all that jazzy deep house ca. 2000.

No real complaints about the mix, could maybe be a touch warmer and dirtier but it's fine as is, just could use a little more spice IMO. Bassline could maybe a bit more varied. Kick maybe a touch heavier in the bottom or maybe layer a sub line under the bassline, I was waiting for some big fat bass to come in. Maybe a touch of delay on some of these congas (?). Maybe a bit more filter and delay action on the chords to make them a bit more varied/interesting.

A bit out there but maybe try sending the vocals through a vocoder and then bring that layer in towards the middle/end of the track.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Smooth as fuck. Well done, sir.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Nice track but I agree the bass needs a lot more weight. Layering with a sine with a bit of attack (think 808 tom almost) will do the trick, then find the balance between the two layers.

I think you'll find when you do that you start preferring the siney part to the bass you have now. It does the job of filling space but no more than that really. The other sound that could work, following on from the sine angle, is a smooth FM type bass.

Pale-Fox
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Pale-Fox »

I like the rhodes and the strings tea kettle effect thing.... just think maybe the bassline could sound funkier but i still like it