Cloaked - Shuriken

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Cloaked
hunger marcher
Cloaked - Shuriken

Post by Cloaked »

No idea what genre it is but it's got some bass in it.

RWise
durchfall
Re: Cloaked - Shuriken

Post by RWise »

Overall mix sounds too compressed. Theres no punch in the drums and all the elements sounds like they are fighting for the centre stage and the reverbs are pumping too much. Just sounds a bit messy, especially when the pads come in at 1:30. Mix sounds like its clipping every now and then as well.

Theres also a lot of frequency clashing in the mids/upper mids. Some of the layers need to have some mids scooped as there is too much energy going on in that area.

I like the general idea of the track though, sounds cool. Reminds me of Djrum and things of that nature.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I listened on my headphones.

To me the kick has definitely some punch to it. It does sound a bit busy though, yes. And what's happening in the end? Did you get too lazy hehehe Overall I like the idea, reminds me of some dub-step-y-psy-trance stuff.

Cool!

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

thanks for the listens and feedback guys, always appreciated! I'll look at this mix for sure.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Man, it's a bit loud. It sounds squashed to fuck. Is it limited to the max?

It does indeed sound like it's clipping in places.

If you dialled back the compression/ limiting (I assume on the master), remixed the levels and look carefully at the eq as r-wise suggested, then you'll be grand.

It's a nice track for sure.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, the mix is getting distorted in a really ugly way in certain places, like bad mp3 encoding or something. The track is nice, does remind me of Djrum quite a bit. Could probably use an extra melody / arp coming in during the second half.

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

overcooked. I m assuming that it was already loud enough when you uploaded on SC.
consider that every place like SC mixcloud etc is using different algorithms to process the sound.
SC specifically is adding a lot of artifacts. file is being uploaded and then it is transcoded meaning in lower resolution and that s only adding to an overcooked mix.
so except the careful export from your DAW consider the adding artifacts of this procedure. try to set the ceiling on -1 db and threshold lower than usual. i think this way you re limiting the effect. none of this compensates though for an overall hot export.
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

I won't repeat what has been said already, when you fix this one up a bit it could be a pretty trippy little tune right there. Maybe you could consider changing up your kick/snare pattern to something a little less obvious, I think that they drag down the rest of the tune a bit, you've got this cool atmosphere and then the bog standard rhythm is kind of a let down. Curious to see where this one goes.
how far do you want to go

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wow, this is sausaged to all fuck. What is there, like 3-4db DR? if that.
Everything is distorted to all shit when stuff other than the drums comes in.
I`m playing this in the mastering room and it sounds terrible. Painful at volume, lots of ugly limiter distortion, no punch in the drums, break up in places where the waveforms are totally squared out.

Not a nice listen at all.

Which is a crying shame, because with proper dynamics, this would be punchy, the kicks would have more impact and punch, the bass would sound more round and lush. The melodic parts would have room to swim and breath.
It`s pretty much impossible to comment on the quality of the mix because any good mix work has been squashed to shit, so there is no separation to speak of.
It`s a great track utterly ruined by shamefully bad "mastering".
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Lovely idea, however it's way to loud like everyone says, i can hear clipping in every phrase, safe your hearing mate!!