Squil - Never Know

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Squill
non reader
Squil - Never Know

Post by Squill »

I just finished this track recently. Any and all feedback is welcomed =) Still trying to improve my productions skills in techno coming from a background in trance.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/squi ... -1/s-nV2ge

kostas
Opposite
Re: Squil - Never Know

Post by kostas »

I like the rhythm of it. to my skills i don t here anything technical issues of course.
now on the idea itself just a bit weird that the track is getting suddenly kinda empty to some points.
but it is good overall.
and welcome to the techno side!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Nice kick and nice groove!
Maybe when it's getting quiet the stabby sound could come into the foreground a bit.
All in all I really like it, I like these atmospheric airy pad stuff in general :)
Cheers

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Thanks guys! Didn't really have any reference tracks for the track, just did the car test for this =P might bring down the sub bass. I'll bring out that pluck to the forefront as well in the quiet parts, thank you =)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The bass is a bit weird and wooly, very undefined. It's also lackeng in that warm juicy bass area, you have that rumbly sub and the very clicky kick and nothing inbetween. And that click on the kick is very modern trance sounding, for a track like this I'd go for something more organic. The basics for a good track overall are there but there's just not texture and tracks like this live off texture. Less EQ, more overlap, more saturation, more high bass, more interesting FX would go a long way to give the track more texture and character.

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

dubdub wrote:The bass is a bit weird and wooly, very undefined. It's also lackeng in that warm juicy bass area, you have that rumbly sub and the very clicky kick and nothing inbetween. And that click on the kick is very modern trance sounding, for a track like this I'd go for something more organic. The basics for a good track overall are there but there's just not texture and tracks like this live off texture. Less EQ, more overlap, more saturation, more high bass, more interesting FX would go a long way to give the track more texture and character.
Thanks for the detailed feedback man much appreciated. Yea i'm struggling with the basses in techno, tried to go with the kick rumble approach for this but maybe a bit too much, mind giving me an example of what you mean with that warm bass? I tried getting some mid basses going with some vst instruments but kinda sounded a bit cheap.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I dig it! Nice atmosphere...hypnotic but trance-y in the cheesy way. So that works for me. I'm not a fan of the kick, though. It's kind of sub-y and click-y when you could use something more fully formed.

Careland
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Careland »

I really like the vibe of the track! There was some panning going on with the pad sounds that kinda through me off a bit in the middle of the tune though, dont think that kinda movement works for this kinda pad driven stuff, atleast not that much. Also the rides felt a bit dry to me and didnt really gel or add anything to the groove. Again might be cause of bad

Overall though good stuff!