dubdub - 537

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
dubdub - 537

Post by dubdub »

https://soundcloud.com/dubdub-505861414/537a

My latest one. Sounds a bit less emo and more uplifting than a lot of my recent stuff :lol:

Not entirely sure about the kick, I feel like it's a bit awkward in the mix. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how the mix turned out, maybe there's a light overload in the highend in certain parts, not sure. What do you guys think?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: dubdub - 537

Post by Mattias »

Sounds pretty good!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I second what Matthias said.

This is the best ive heard from you. I really enjoyed this. Even thought it was a bit short!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cheers guys! If almost 7 minutes is "short" I must be doing something right :)

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Kick sounds like it works to me. You could try filtering out some of the top from the kick so its more subby and see how it sounds.

Either way would work i reckon.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

sooooooo, when and where is this getting released ? :ugeek:

- tbh, it COULD be better, but it doesn 't need to be, it has vibes.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

No plans to release anything at this point :)

starrk
beast

Post by starrk »

Initially thought the kick was a little not enough as well, but then the bassline came in and it became apparent the kick was just right in the mix. Sounds really awesome to me

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Bass is a bit much, could come down a touch.
Hats are very flat, they lack some sparkle and the transients are kinda dead and lack crispness.
Overall the mix could do with a bit more space between the sounds, it`s pretty cramped and would come across a little mushy on a rig, turning it up it in here and it gets quite clumpy and woolly at higher levels.
Cleaning out the low mids and high bass would help lots.

I like it, reminds me of early Trapez stuff, Kanzlerampt and so on.

Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".

But, I like it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote: Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".
Thanks for listening! I really struggle with that whole question of identity. I mean, I could ditch the chords but that would just be trying to be different for the sake of it. I have tried making tracks without chords but monophonic noodling or pad-based tracks just isn't me. The chords are always what I really resonate with emotionally in a track. I'm currently convinced that it's just matter of continous refinement but maybe I do need to pull some radical left turn at some point, I wish I knew. Deep down it's quite terrifying to me, spending all that time making tracks and then they might not even have an identity of their own.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote: Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".
Thanks for listening! I really struggle with that whole question of identity. I mean, I could ditch the chords but that would just be trying to be different for the sake of it. I have tried making tracks without chords but monophonic noodling or pad-based tracks just isn't me. The chords are always what I really resonate with emotionally in a track. I'm currently convinced that it's just matter of continous refinement but maybe I do need to pull some radical left turn at some point, I wish I knew. Deep down it's quite terrifying to me, spending all that time making tracks and then they might not even have an identity of their own.
Dont get too caught up on it. I believe your own sound comes naturally through experience and progression. Making good tracks that arent unique is a challenge of itself.

Try and have days where you experiment making stuff out of your comfort zone as well.

Your identity can be anything as well. Can be subtle things like the way you mix your tracks and certain grooves you use in tracks. Or a type of synthesis you use to create different elements etc...
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:

Maybe try using less common sounds to do your dub chords.
Try some textures or percussive samples, field Recordings, but make chords with them.
Treat them with filters to get a dubby sound, maybe run the delay into some mild bit crush or buffer under run or something.
This sub genre of techno has become very stagnant for new ideas and textures.
Otherwise you are basically refining in to deepchord or whoever.
You have all the tropes of this sound down pat, now it's time to maybe subvert them.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I agree that there's a lot of boring dubby stuff out there. I do a lot of sound design exercises and general fucking around just to progress my textures etc. But it takes a long ass time to come up with anything that's both unique and sounds cool. I should probably make more use of acoustic sounds and samples, which would ironically be a bit of a Deepchord ripoff, there's a ton of electroacoustic stuff all over his records from the past few years.

That said, I'm not trying to sound like classic dub techno, hence the high BPMs and stuff like the reese bassline, not something you usually hear in those records. It does sound a fair bit like early 2000s Kanzleramt but that's a sound that has been almost totally abandoned for the past 10 years, so I don't mind as much ripping that off :lol:

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

I think your tracks (especially this one) doesent sound like classic dub techno to me,, its more straightforward and agressive.. In a way i like.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:I agree that there's a lot of boring dubby stuff out there. I do a lot of sound design exercises and general fucking around just to progress my textures etc. But it takes a long ass time to come up with anything that's both unique and sounds cool. I should probably make more use of acoustic sounds and samples, which would ironically be a bit of a Deepchord ripoff, there's a ton of electroacoustic stuff all over his records from the past few years.

That said, I'm not trying to sound like classic dub techno, hence the high BPMs and stuff like the reese bassline, not something you usually hear in those records. It does sound a fair bit like early 2000s Kanzleramt but that's a sound that has been almost totally abandoned for the past 10 years, so I don't mind as much ripping that off :lol:

I'm not having a pop. (Not saying you are ripping off kanzlerampt either, you just made a tune that fits in with that sound. I was majorly in to that rich melodic techno sound when it was a "thing" in the early 00's, back when it crossed over with tech house, when tech house was tech house and not bumcode bollocks)
You have some good production chops, I think you could use them to carve out a more unique hole for yourself in the rather samey land of dub techno.
New Shit

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Damn, it is really good soundwise, great mix down, arrangement, etc.

I really liked the bassline underneath along with the chords.

The only thing I would say (my personal taste). I would like to hear your track with long sustain and release chords in minor notes to give it that lush and melancholic feeling and see how that goes.
(As you said, I would prefered it "a bit more emo and Iess uplifting" :D , I like when the chords sound quite spatial and melancholic haha)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

TomasHD wrote:Damn, it is really good soundwise, great mix down, arrangement, etc.

I really liked the bassline underneath along with the chords.

The only thing I would say (my personal taste). I would like to hear your track with long sustain and release chords in minor notes to give it that lush and melancholic feeling and see how that goes.
(As you said, I would prefered it "a bit more emo and Iess uplifting" :D , I like when the chords sound quite spatial and melancholic haha)
Thanks! I think the chords are actually in minor, if I remember correctly. But most of my tracks are on that more melancholic side so I was happy to do something different.
Lost to the Void wrote:You have some good production chops, I think you could use them to carve out a more unique hole for yourself in the rather samey land of dub techno.
I've been trying but I'm hyper-conscious of anything I do, so innovating anything up to a standard I'm happy with for myself takes forever.

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

personally I think i have an issue with transients lately maybe because i tried to make H hats heavy music, going away from straightforward techno !
so maybe I dont have the right to talk about transients , but yes the transients are lacking a bit.
and maybe tame the bass. so nothing that haven t already been said))
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I think the softened hihat work you have would have made more sense if it was a slower, more lush deeper track.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Everything has been said, it's really cool :) My only point would be the (closed) hi hats, too. Don't think the kick sounds awkward at all. Cheers