It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
https://soundcloud.com/dubdub-505861414/537a



My latest one. Sounds a bit less emo and more uplifting than a lot of my recent stuff :lol:

Not entirely sure about the kick, I feel like it's a bit awkward in the mix. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how the mix turned out, maybe there's a light overload in the highend in certain parts, not sure. What do you guys think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
Dry
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 3034
Location: Sweden
Sounds pretty good!

_________________
• Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
• Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
• Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
Part Bitch
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 2771
I second what Matthias said.

This is the best ive heard from you. I really enjoyed this. Even thought it was a bit short!

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-louis



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
Cheers guys! If almost 7 minutes is "short" I must be doing something right :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
slipper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm
Posts: 187
Kick sounds like it works to me. You could try filtering out some of the top from the kick so its more subby and see how it sounds.

Either way would work i reckon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:54 pm 
Offline
Onions
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 am
Posts: 63
sooooooo, when and where is this getting released ? :ugeek:



- tbh, it COULD be better, but it doesn 't need to be, it has vibes.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
No plans to release anything at this point :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline
Interact. Don't Spam.

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:04 am
Posts: 8
Location: New York City
Initially thought the kick was a little not enough as well, but then the bassline came in and it became apparent the kick was just right in the mix. Sounds really awesome to me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 9132
Bass is a bit much, could come down a touch.
Hats are very flat, they lack some sparkle and the transients are kinda dead and lack crispness.
Overall the mix could do with a bit more space between the sounds, it`s pretty cramped and would come across a little mushy on a rig, turning it up it in here and it gets quite clumpy and woolly at higher levels.
Cleaning out the low mids and high bass would help lots.

I like it, reminds me of early Trapez stuff, Kanzlerampt and so on.

Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".

But, I like it.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Next Release


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
Lost to the Void wrote:
Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".


Thanks for listening! I really struggle with that whole question of identity. I mean, I could ditch the chords but that would just be trying to be different for the sake of it. I have tried making tracks without chords but monophonic noodling or pad-based tracks just isn't me. The chords are always what I really resonate with emotionally in a track. I'm currently convinced that it's just matter of continous refinement but maybe I do need to pull some radical left turn at some point, I wish I knew. Deep down it's quite terrifying to me, spending all that time making tracks and then they might not even have an identity of their own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 am 
Offline
slipper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm
Posts: 187
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".


Thanks for listening! I really struggle with that whole question of identity. I mean, I could ditch the chords but that would just be trying to be different for the sake of it. I have tried making tracks without chords but monophonic noodling or pad-based tracks just isn't me. The chords are always what I really resonate with emotionally in a track. I'm currently convinced that it's just matter of continous refinement but maybe I do need to pull some radical left turn at some point, I wish I knew. Deep down it's quite terrifying to me, spending all that time making tracks and then they might not even have an identity of their own.


Dont get too caught up on it. I believe your own sound comes naturally through experience and progression. Making good tracks that arent unique is a challenge of itself.

Try and have days where you experiment making stuff out of your comfort zone as well.

Your identity can be anything as well. Can be subtle things like the way you mix your tracks and certain grooves you use in tracks. Or a type of synthesis you use to create different elements etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 9132
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Very much comfort zone for you though, one note dub stabs, delay, reverb. Doesn`t have a personality that gives it it`s own stamp of being "yours".


Thanks for listening! I really struggle with that whole question of identity. I mean, I could ditch the chords but that would just be trying to be different for the sake of it. I have tried making tracks without chords but monophonic noodling or pad-based tracks just isn't me. The chords are always what I really resonate with emotionally in a track. I'm currently convinced that it's just matter of continous refinement but maybe I do need to pull some radical left turn at some point, I wish I knew. Deep down it's quite terrifying to me, spending all that time making tracks and then they might not even have an identity of their own.



Maybe try using less common sounds to do your dub chords.
Try some textures or percussive samples, field Recordings, but make chords with them.
Treat them with filters to get a dubby sound, maybe run the delay into some mild bit crush or buffer under run or something.
This sub genre of techno has become very stagnant for new ideas and textures.
Otherwise you are basically refining in to deepchord or whoever.
You have all the tropes of this sound down pat, now it's time to maybe subvert them.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Next Release


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
I agree that there's a lot of boring dubby stuff out there. I do a lot of sound design exercises and general fucking around just to progress my textures etc. But it takes a long ass time to come up with anything that's both unique and sounds cool. I should probably make more use of acoustic sounds and samples, which would ironically be a bit of a Deepchord ripoff, there's a ton of electroacoustic stuff all over his records from the past few years.

That said, I'm not trying to sound like classic dub techno, hence the high BPMs and stuff like the reese bassline, not something you usually hear in those records. It does sound a fair bit like early 2000s Kanzleramt but that's a sound that has been almost totally abandoned for the past 10 years, so I don't mind as much ripping that off :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
durchfall
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:52 pm
Posts: 479
I think your tracks (especially this one) doesent sound like classic dub techno to me,, its more straightforward and agressive.. In a way i like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 9132
dubdub wrote:
I agree that there's a lot of boring dubby stuff out there. I do a lot of sound design exercises and general fucking around just to progress my textures etc. But it takes a long ass time to come up with anything that's both unique and sounds cool. I should probably make more use of acoustic sounds and samples, which would ironically be a bit of a Deepchord ripoff, there's a ton of electroacoustic stuff all over his records from the past few years.

That said, I'm not trying to sound like classic dub techno, hence the high BPMs and stuff like the reese bassline, not something you usually hear in those records. It does sound a fair bit like early 2000s Kanzleramt but that's a sound that has been almost totally abandoned for the past 10 years, so I don't mind as much ripping that off :lol:



I'm not having a pop. (Not saying you are ripping off kanzlerampt either, you just made a tune that fits in with that sound. I was majorly in to that rich melodic techno sound when it was a "thing" in the early 00's, back when it crossed over with tech house, when tech house was tech house and not bumcode bollocks)
You have some good production chops, I think you could use them to carve out a more unique hole for yourself in the rather samey land of dub techno.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Next Release


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 am 
Offline
slipper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 am
Posts: 190
Damn, it is really good soundwise, great mix down, arrangement, etc.

I really liked the bassline underneath along with the chords.

The only thing I would say (my personal taste). I would like to hear your track with long sustain and release chords in minor notes to give it that lush and melancholic feeling and see how that goes.
(As you said, I would prefered it "a bit more emo and Iess uplifting" :D , I like when the chords sound quite spatial and melancholic haha)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
Indirect Effects

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 1114
TomasHD wrote:
Damn, it is really good soundwise, great mix down, arrangement, etc.

I really liked the bassline underneath along with the chords.

The only thing I would say (my personal taste). I would like to hear your track with long sustain and release chords in minor notes to give it that lush and melancholic feeling and see how that goes.
(As you said, I would prefered it "a bit more emo and Iess uplifting" :D , I like when the chords sound quite spatial and melancholic haha)


Thanks! I think the chords are actually in minor, if I remember correctly. But most of my tracks are on that more melancholic side so I was happy to do something different.

Lost to the Void wrote:
You have some good production chops, I think you could use them to carve out a more unique hole for yourself in the rather samey land of dub techno.


I've been trying but I'm hyper-conscious of anything I do, so innovating anything up to a standard I'm happy with for myself takes forever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
Opposite
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:28 pm
Posts: 77
personally I think i have an issue with transients lately maybe because i tried to make H hats heavy music, going away from straightforward techno !
so maybe I dont have the right to talk about transients , but yes the transients are lacking a bit.
and maybe tame the bass. so nothing that haven t already been said))

_________________
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
Dry
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 3034
Location: Sweden
I think the softened hihat work you have would have made more sense if it was a slower, more lush deeper track.

_________________
• Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
• Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
• Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dubdub - 537
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline
skaghead

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm
Posts: 158
Everything has been said, it's really cool :) My only point would be the (closed) hi hats, too. Don't think the kick sounds awkward at all. Cheers

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.