dubdub - big kick and slow filtered multitap delayed chords

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
dubdub - big kick and slow filtered multitap delayed chords

Post by dubdub »

The track's content is in the title :lol:

It's kind of 80% finished, couldn't be bothered to do all the detail automation etc. I can hear that the mix has issues but not quite sure what it is. Just too dense / not enough space? I wrote it on headphones so there's a lot of crap floating around the mix / stereo fild.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd
Re: dubdub - big kick and slow filtered multitap delayed cho

Post by TvSkY »

nice! nothing to offensive in the mix , maybe a little more low end , everything is pushed up into the mids and top

track wise the stabs are nice , percussion is good. i would put some more variation on the stabs , filtering , delay tweaking . keep the track moving

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I can't hear anything in the mix really, perhaps it's a bit top heavy with all that airy delay and reverb.

There are 2 points that I really think you could work on that would make a world of difference

1 - The arrangement. Because the chords don't really change, not noticeably anyway, as nice as they are, they become boring quite quickly. I think with a dedicated arrangement, you could make great track. As it stands now, there is no discernible intro,beginning, middle or end. The changes in arrangement that are there don't make much impact as the chords are so 'there' the whole time. I'd for sure filter the chords out then reintroduce them at the very least. It sounds as though you were in the zone with those chords, and made the arrangement quickly.

2 - The low end. It's just dying for a little groove. Just another filtered kick every 2nd or 4th bar, something to give it a little bump.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

dubdub wrote:couldn't be bothered to do all the detail automation etc
Im not exactly a dub techno connoisseur, but the track sounds exactly as you've almost described it. Like you got an 8 bar loop you liked and just stretched it over the length of the track and muted the odd drum part here and there. For me to get this sound right you either have to have an awesome loop or really dig into those little changes that make a track shift over its length. Nothing sounded too out of place given my current listening conditions, but it got fatiguing really quickly for that reason and I struggled to finish it, tbh.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

dubdub wrote: It's kind of 80% finished, couldn't be bothered to do all the detail automation etc. .
chuck some lfo's on stuff , filter cut off , env attach , delay feedback

easy low effort automation

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cheers guys for the thoughts, there actually is a decent amount of LFOs and modulation on the chords. It's probably just that any subtle modulation is going to be lost in the mix with all the reverb and crap flying around :)

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

I like the tempo, not quite used to listen to dub techno at this bpm. I also think it could use a boost on the sub frequencies.
And maybe you could fade away the chords over time and replace them temporary by new floaty elements and let them come back in to keep intrest. Although I understand that these nice chords are the hook of the track so maybe that would change the musical idea too much.
In general I like it a lot, love to hear more like this!
Mining for gold on planet earth.

jacksonick
reverse genius

Post by jacksonick »

I like the pace, I don't think too much extra low end percussion would do it any favours really. Mix-wise I don't really have the experience to comment. Sounds fine to me, but what do I know.

Ooooh the crunchy clap/snare came back in. I like that too.

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

the kick indeed is big but I think it s not dominating enough. I m imagining it more upfront not getting lost from the loud drums.
make it big and loud. a nice dub techno idea lots of potentials.
I love dub techno. maybe it s the time to make a dub techno track!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

fran cisco
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by fran cisco »

friend, would work more in the mix, you can get much more juice, not having the elements in place, becomes monotone after a while ... would add more dynamics. but this is on the way :) sorry for my bad english