Matt Deegan - Seasons

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Dattington
Alf Garnett
Matt Deegan - Seasons

Post by Dattington »

Thought i'd put this up for some feedback. Quickest i've done a track (7 days) and I'm pretty happy with it, definitely learned a lot doing this tune that's for sure.

More melodic than my previous ones but still pretty pumping (imo!). I think the main lead could do with some variation.. just not sure what.

https://soundcloud.com/mattdeegan/matt- ... v1/s-n30yU

Any feedback most appreciated.
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Matt Deegan - Seasons

Post by Planar »

I only postened through some crappy earbuds, so can't really comment on the production sound of things- but it seemed ok through them.

I think the lead of the track needs some work, the way it comes in sounds a bit disjointed before the breakdown and although it sounds better after it still seems a bit wrong to me. Maybe try another patch or layer it up a bit, I kept thinking of Alice Deejay with the sound as it was. Instead of varying it too much you could just pair it with a pad sound to make it a little more epic in the 2nd half of the track?

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Thanks for listening dude.

It's defo the lead. I may scrap it altogether because yeah, it's not really working as is.

Will update over the weekend and repost when done

Cheers,

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

During the break there are a lot of sounds fighting for my attention. I really see what Planar says about it being disjointed.

The lead and the high pitched screech and the vocal are just a bit too much all happening at the same time. Perhaps have things coming in or out more.

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Thanks again for listening.

I've gone through and done more on this.

https://soundcloud.com/mattdeegan/matt- ... v2/s-nLvdy

No idea what happened in that last one (wine, probably) but loads of stuff was out of key. Much happier with this, still has a lead but have simplified it a lot. Still find it tough to keep enough interest going in a lead but that will come with time no doubt.

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Right, done loads more to this and it's sounding significantly (to me anyway...) more banging. Removed a number of channels, then focused on the automation of delays and filters etc. which has massively helped. Cheers for the advice on that.

https://soundcloud.com/mattdeegan/matt- ... ge/s-sulfK

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I couldn`t download this to run through the gear to make a full analysis, but overall the sound of this is very dry, static and digital sounding.
The overall balance is off and too tilted towards the top end, making the low end sound muted and constricted.
There are a lot of nasty resonances in that metallic riff that could be rained in as it makes for uncomfortable listening at decent volume.

The main open hihat lacks any real attack so it doesn`t really play call and response with the kick too well.
The main clunky percussion is very dry and static.

I would pull back the high end so the top and bottom are in a better balance.
I would allow that metallic sound to have some more mids to fill it out texturally, and find those nasty high and mid high resonances and notch them out.
I would add in some kind of attack portion to the main open hat, either trying a transient designer or literally just add in an attack portion from another hat, to the sample.
The main clunk percussion just needs a little reverb, maybe some velocity automation to humanise it a little and make it more dynamic.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Thanks for such detailed feedback.

Since you mentioned the high hat i've listened back to other tunes and can now really notice the call/response you mention - i'd never really picked up on that before.

Will do some more work on this today based on all this feedback - thanks!

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Yes, low end needs some work.