Root - Peachy

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Root
BANNED
Root - Peachy

Post by Root »

Hello. Here's a new one. I'm pretty happy with this, as I think this might be technically the best I achieved so far. Tell me your thoughts about the overall mix and the lows in particular. That is where my weakness lies and where i tried to progress recently.

Here you go:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/peachy/s-spQg9
:geek:

tsaro
Lifer
Re: Root - Peachy

Post by tsaro »

Some funky left field melodies in here, some bits I wonder whether you have taken it too far, but it grows on you in short time. I think the kick is maybe a bit too chunky for this kind of groove, layering a more mid heavy kick in the mix could possible do something for this, could also have something to do with the placement of your lower frequencies mostly on the full beat for most of the track.... Not sure really, but it's a cool idea.
how far do you want to go

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lowend sounds alright to me, could be a little punchier. There's a lot of dissonance in the synths that's really not pleasing to my ears but that might just be me.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Thanks for your feedbeack! Yeh, that thing with the kick and being too chunky made me eq it a little and take away some of the big boom. Id did it just a little, it's very subtle, but fits way better i think now.
Getting the low end punchy is something i'm really not good at and what i'm focusing on. Trying to improve this.. And yeh, that dissonance is there, like one oscillator of two is being a bit detuned. I though of a clown skateboarding through the city, while making the track, so that's where that comes from. I liked it :D

here the version with less boom: https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/peachy_eq/s-VhIGT

no big difference, as said, more subtle..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alrighty, downloaded this and ran through the gear.
Here is my feedback.

Ok, first thing I notice is the low end.
Your kick fundamental is at 43hz and it rolls down steeply to 20 from there. There is room for a little more weight under the main fundamental, re-addressing this with EQ or compression, or both, would be a good idea.
A gave a little boost at the fundamental and then filled out the 20-40 range a little, to thicken up the kick, it now punches and thuds nicely and has sufficient sub weight underneath it.

Your low bass note has a fundamental at 92hz (F#) that is steeling some weight from the kick, and then all the way from here up to 500hz is a bit too much, so I pulled everything back a little here by a db and everything solidfied.

I also pulled back 500hz - 2k to allow the kick the pop up more and to balance the mix, then a little half db boost centred around 6k lifted the track up and added more detail and air.

I`ve included an mp3 here so you can hear the rebalancing (just EQ) I have done. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbx9dyt6lqoua ... x.mp3?dl=0

Essentially the low end can be opened up, less weight on sounds that have presence in 150-500, brighter top end (but you could do with less harshness) and overall balance between kick and the rest of the tune.

I hope this helps
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Really, thx for your effort! I appreciate this a lot. Gonna check out your thoughts the next days, analyze and try to learn from it.