Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: The Age Of Innocence

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Oh Tom isn't a huge fan of weight in the bottom :)

But.............. Techno..
Maybe you can do your best to convince him ;) We've talked a lot during the years about music and I've realized he got a very clear vision
on certain things about his tracks. He loves a light bottom and very pronounced hi-hats and top end percussive elements for example. I've never met anyone
who been talking so thoroughly about how much thought he gives to the tempo of his music to make sure certain passages and expression in some instruments
suits his ideas either.
Hades wrote:question is which angle.
I've already said that to me it feels almost impossible to make ambient, because I always feel it lacks any form of structure. There's no beat in most ambient, and the lack of a constant pulse totally makes me feel uneasy in some way.
And DnB, sure, I'd love that, but I can't make DnB.
Only other option I see is more broken beats perhaps ?
But I need a beat or I can't start a track, it's as simple as that, really.
Yeah I know we talked about this many times before. I'm not judging of course, merely suggesting you could test another way of approaching your rhythmic elements.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`d look in to a lot of IDM, particularly post-dubstep, where the beats are more conducive to melodic meandering.

All of which can still fit within a techno context, but you just have to be creative to make it work.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:I`d look in to a lot of IDM, particularly post-dubstep, where the beats are more conducive to melodic meandering.

All of which can still fit within a techno context, but you just have to be creative to make it work.
problem is that apart from stuff like Burial, I really don't like dubstep at all. :D
IDM, perhaps...

also, it can't be the only reason for me to make less "techno-ish" stuff just because techno doesn't usually lean itself well for melodic meandering. :)
Perhaps that says more about the more narrow frame techno can have than about my music.

Anyway, I perfectly get what you guys are saying.
But I never plan my tracks as if I sit down and go "ah, now I still need to add this and that to make it more techno"
I just start from some musical idea and always need a kick to work. Then all the rest comes extra.
I've always said my rhythmic parts aren't my strong side, and perhaps they usually come from a certain need to still add enough forward drive to my tracks and not just have melodic parts going on.
I really admire some of the deep techno tracks that are currently in fashion,
but in a way, some of those, when I listen to them, I think : there's not enough melody in there,
and the rhythmic parts are just too simple.

I don't know, I guess I just make something that is too melodic for techno, but not enough cheesy for house.
But Planar just sent me a temporary remix of one of my old tracks, which sure as hell isn't your normal techno, and it gave me an idea to try another direction when I get home.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:It's a nice track for sure. I haven't got any criticisms at all. Mix is great, the arrangement, everything. Good stuff.

The only thing is that it is very 'Hades'. You did tell me once to push the boat out a bit, and that struck a chord.
I'd like to hear you do something not very 'Hades'.
yeah, you're absolutely right there.
We are both rather guilty of staying in our same safe ballpark.
(In my defense, I gotta say I already had this finished like 80% well over 5 months ago.)

I do try different things from time to time though,
but I never finish them because they are usually only 30% as decent as the stuff I usually make.
Or my mrs walks in and says something like "pfff, really doesn't sound like you at all"
and she looks at me completely disappointed. :lol:

A few weeks ago I asked some people which track I should finish first (all of them in my usual style though),
and one of the answers I literally got was "this one, because it's your style the most". :)
Not even sure what to think of that, but yeah, in some way, I seem to have developed some sort of "style of my own",
and that's a good thing and a curse just as well.
I mean, some people never seem to find a style at all, or just imitate others all the time, so I guess I should be happy I found my own thing, but yeah, sure enough, some day when I get tired of this, I will have no choice but to try and discover new types of production.
At the moment I don't think I have reached that point yet.
As strange as it might sound, but I always say "just follow the track/music", but always seem to end up in the same ballpark doing exactly that.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Oh Tom isn't a huge fan of weight in the bottom :)

But.............. Techno..
Maybe you can do your best to convince him ;) We've talked a lot during the years about music and I've realized he got a very clear vision
on certain things about his tracks. He loves a light bottom and very pronounced hi-hats and top end percussive elements for example. I've never met anyone
who been talking so thoroughly about how much thought he gives to the tempo of his music to make sure certain passages and expression in some instruments
suits his ideas either.
I don't remember ever saying I like a light bottom.
Very few women would be an option if I'd only accept a light bottom. :lol:
You just suggested that I probably wasn't expecting any heavy Bumcode style master, and I confirmed your suggestion.
I do like a clear high end, yes. That's 200% true.
Even on all my systems (except in the studio of course) I tend to turn up the treble more instead of most people who want more bass.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I guess not too much bass is more along the lines what you usually say rather then light bottom heh
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
problem is that apart from stuff like Burial, I really don't like dubstep at all. :D
Burial is post-dubstep, which is why I said post dubstep, not dubstep.
Post dubstep crosses over to techno and house, and sometimes IDM too.

And regardless if you don`t like it, there is stuff to be learned, especially about beat and groove construction.

Here`s a great example of post dubstep (by monolake when it was Henke and T++)
Now you might not like the tune, but it`s a good example of using more interesting percussion to provide a bed for flowing melody.

youtu.be/l3Vp8zINmws

A 4x4 beat under the flowing stuff in this tune wouldn`t work.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

The drums definitely sound a bit racist :-)

But seriously, I think the balance is OK. I think I mentioned Christian Loeffler in reference to another of your tracks, but that's a great example of the musical, organic sound where the drums fit with the atmosphere...

paul-slacknoise
Face Hugger

Post by paul-slacknoise »

wow. I really like it. Your percussion work is great. some hihats seem a bit too high in the frequency but obviously just my subjective opinion. The rolling bass suits perfect to the ethical flute. I dont really like the high "piano". sounds to me too much like some mainstream "Dance" music, but just my taste. Overall, pretty solid. Good work

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

thx for listening !

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

perfect track mate. That minimalism is just beautiful. If there's some elements missing on the track u can just mix this with another track and that's it. I'm not the guy who uses just 1 track on a mix you know.... sometimes it's good to have some tracks with elements missing so you can have fun mixing on a DJ set.
That's my point of view. Hope nobody gets mad.
Cheers.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

sergiobR1 wrote: That's my point of view. Hope nobody gets mad.
:idea:

thx for listening ! ;)

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Damn, another great track by you. I knew from the beginning it was going to be good. I've been really busy but just wanted to let you know I'm still working on remixing your track. I had some difficulties syncing the piano with the pad. Well done!

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Actually I feel it like a microtrauma track or something like that, those producers dont use bottom end and actually sounds good after u bring another track with a epic bassline or a big kick

well this guy uses a lot of elements on mid and high range but well maybe u need to work more on that or maybe not who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHGW2xHAARE
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

really good track, love the style its in. only thing i would like to hear different are the kicks (like metioned before by others). they have to much punch and to little bass for my tatse. but thats something in the ear of the beholder. The transitions are really nice and the track keeps my imagination flowing, which is really cool :). keep up the good work! :)

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I think you already know my opinion about your tracks, love the ambient touch, to me the punchy kick is adapted to this kind of tracks, I wouldn't like it if it had a low-heavy one instead