Suppressor - 3 Faces

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
suppressor
Alf Garnett
Suppressor - 3 Faces

Post by suppressor »

I posted this track recently in the hole and someone said i should post it in here.

I want to start shopping it around to some labels any thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/3-faces/s-NiQYN

The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: Suppressor - 3 Faces

Post by The_G »

I really like it, musically speaking. Haven't heard something like this in quite a while. Has lots of atmosphere and the melody is nice and moody.

Now, I'm listening on my AT M50s, which are a bit bass heavy, but that bass feels, well, a bit heavy in the mix.

suppressor
Alf Garnett

Post by suppressor »

Thanks Gman. I will have a listen to the bass at home on my Genelecs and see of they sound any different from the headphones i have been using to make music with lately.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hmm, I would say this isn`t "release ready" as yet.

Production needs some work.

The kick barely cuts through the mix, it`s making no impact at all here in the mastering studio. Listening at 70db on full range speakers and the kick isn`t really doing anything much. Could probably do with some more punch and a touch more lows on the kick.

Even the bass is not really touching the subs very much. I would split the lows out of the bass sound and hard compress them so the levels remain more consistent, or mirror the main bassline with a sub line.

Essentially as there is no low end weight behind the groove, the kick is merely acting as a metronome, there is nothing telling you to dance, or guiding you to dance even.
So the overall groove needs work, weight and more drive, as I feel like the whole tune is a breakdown and you are always waiting for it to get moving.

All the synth elements are fine, but they are very ethereal, lacking any hook, which again, having a weak groove in the percussion stops this from every really pushing forward. A stronger groove underneath these elements and this could cook along nicely.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

IMO there is a bit of a disparity in the mix, that main bassline/riff is quite dim, maybe even a bit muddy and the hats are really bright and brittle. And in between there is basically nothing, which leaves the mix feeling empty.

Also, if i'm honest, it feels a bit generic an Innervisions-y but it lacks that 'epic'-ness, feels a bit unfinished to me.

bounduk
Exampleless

Post by bounduk »

I think the kick definitely needs to cut through more and maybe even be layered a bit more to make it more exciting. The reese sounds a bit dry to me, I'd turn the wet right up with the reverb.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Nice mood you've created here, some interesting melodies in here.

I agree that you could give the drums some more love. I won't repeat what's already been said, though I think the claps are a little too 'shiny' around the edges or something, when you've got them in that delayed pattern it feels like they shouldn't distract from the groove like that. Could definitely do with a cut in the high mids, and maybe a little less strong filtering.

And the ending could do with some tweaking :lol:
how far do you want to go

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

Interesting track. Reminds me of shed a little for some reason :)