recoil

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
tsaro
Lifer
recoil

Post by tsaro »

https://soundcloud.com/vo0doo/recoil/s-dtl1Z

Can't decide what to do with the arrangement, I think it might be a bit too frantic with all the changes....
Not sure if I should split it in 2.

Also some problems with the mix, sounds ok on my headphones but something seems off when I put it on speakers.
how far do you want to go

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: recoil

Post by Mattias »

I think this track can work out nicely if you solve mix issues.

Let me suggest a starting point:

The bass note is accentuated too much, it gives an on / off feel, it goes like BOOM!!! baa BOOM!!! baa, if you turn it down a little you get a better drive while still keeping the groove of the accented ideas.

The synths (?)or main hook needs to be cleared out of mud at 250hz and 350hz by at least - 4dB, quite sharp filters.
Also at 700 there's some offending sounds that could need some adjustment downwards

The kick need more definition, see if you can cut some at 90hz, just a little and quite sharp. Boost at 110hz by a little (the kick fundamental seems to be at roughly 55hz so..)
also turn the kick up by a few dB. Taste thing.

Shakers and hats are buried in the mix, they need to go up in volume a bit, have +3dB as a starting out, make a gentle push with a very broad bandwidth at 2.5khz by a little while you keep 5khz under control and slope hem down after 15khz.

Same with the clap / snare / Porc sound, it needs to go up a little.

Go from there and see where it takes you.

I kinda miss a ride in this track.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

matt1171
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by matt1171 »

I would get a midi controller and automate some effects live on the track. Cut stuff out like kick drum, bass etc then bring back in and use reverbs , delays etc like you would on a live dj mix. Just have a play around with it live and record the changes you make. Then you can go in after and clean up the automation. Basically have a bit of fun automating stuff live as the worst thing for me is sitting in front of the same loop on a grid and listening over and over again and getting bored with it. You've got a good idea there, just need to have some time away maybe and go back with fresh ears. Another thing you could do is get a similar track and use it as a reference track so put the track into your DAW and basically copy where the breakdowns are and effects etc. Hope that helps.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

@Mattias: Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'll try to adress those things the comings days.

Agreed about it needing a ride, I remember I was going to add some metallic sounds in there, and then when I was fiddling with modal (percussion synth), it turned into something else completely....

Actually have been messing with some eq and finally turned the kick/low end down a fair bit after listening on speakers because it started to distort on my speakers quite early, just found out these speakers do that with lots of tracks, so that's a bunch of time wasted right there :D

The lead does seem to take up a lot of space, haven't looked if I have span installed here but either way I'll try your suggestions. Looks like I cant't trust this setup at all apparently for judging mixes, which is a bit inconvenient because my ears aren't all that great either...

@Matt: Thanks for the tips, I agree that it could use some more transitions/buildups.

Haven't really set up my controllers on this pc, and it's not very likely that I will tbh. It's kind of an inbetween solution, expect to have a new system within the next 2 months, at which point I'll set everything up properly again.

Because I'm not really used to working with this setup anymore most time was spent fiddling around with different plugins and trying to do everything I want without installing a shitload of vsts :lol:

Excuses aside, I agree that it needs a lot of work still, so I'll just get on it then.

BTW It's kind fun to work with some older forgotten plugins, will probably try to migrate a bunch of them to the new system.

About half the sounds in this come from running the loop that eventually became the lead (a percussion thing in modal again) through darkware vsts and cutting up the results etc. Probably need better monitoring when trying that sort of thing since the output is pretty raw.

I think they're free downloads now so if anyone is looking for some nice FSU stuff, you'll probably find it if you google darkware/jack dark.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'd second Mattias' suggestions and like to add that this lead/loop percussion thing is way too far left-right and lacks parts in the center. This disconnects your lead from the kick, what is not the best with such a driving loop/lead thing. I don't think it has to be all in the center, but try to get it a bit more centred.
:geek:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Started something new tonight to test my speakers and see if there was a way to use them somewhat productively (an old 5,1 set with 2 sattelites :v), after half an hour I decided to install my interface and hook up my regular speakers though, it was just too frustrating.

Did continue the test project though, I think it came out alright:

Just now started to work on the previous one again, this machine is really slow, it's just ridiculous... So tonigth it's gonna be resampling night , yay :twisted:

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

That new one is wayyyy better. Much more clarity and punch. That kick comes through as it should be, could use maybe a bit more click. Those lead elements would be better with a bit more attack, so now they work little too much in the background. It's really better to have your lead elements a bit more focused in the center.
:geek:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Thanks, I'll get back to that one as soon as I get the first one to a somewhat acceptable level.
This is the latest version from last night:
https://soundcloud.com/vo0doo/recoil-v2/s-vWUm7
I think it's improved a bit, still I feel like it got away from me somehow, and I think I butchered the low end :P
Maybe I need to rethink this a bit, and roll it back a couple of versions....

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

In this one I'd add a ride or two to make things more interesting. Maybe a little dirty percussion with some distortion.. Besides that sounds cool to me :)