Root . Wild Space

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Root
BANNED
Root . Wild Space

Post by Root »

My attempt of a slowly evolving, warm, rolling and pushing track. I don't know about the snares, but didn't got it better. I heard this part so often, that I can't say if it's good or not. Lend me your ears, please. And, is there too much pumping compression overall? I guess, but again, looking forward what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/rootffm/wild-space/s-ndYqZ
:geek:

Opnå
non reader
Re: Root . Wild Space

Post by Opnå »

I think that's pretty decent. I like the "field recording" type noises you have used in there.

I'm not such a fan of the "cowbell" percussion noise in the breakdown when it comes in dry. It sounds good later in the break when you throw a bit more reverb over it.

The clap/snare, is that what you were worried about? I like that, seems like a stylistic decision.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The kick is way too high passed and the bass is a bit clunky, so the track barely has any punch in the low end.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Thanks Opna! The field recording sound is me eating spaghetti. Seriously. Chattering with cutlery and things..

And, huh, dubdub, well, ...you're right. Crazy what ears can do. I thought this had a punching kick, but whoa, no punch at all xD. Don't know how this could happen, i'll rework it! Interesting fact: The kick has no lowcut at all, it's just the adjustment on my vermona drm1 that killed every punch. That happens too often, it's hard to find the sweetspot in the kick channel.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I really like the switch of pace in this track. Has a nice dark feeling to it, like something is creeping up to you. It might be me but the field recording at some points might fill up the track too much at some points? Might be worth bringing in a more clean pad at some point instead of the field recording? Looking forward to hear some updates.

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

I liked the sound overall and it definitely has a nice moving sound. I agree the kick is missing the low end deep punch to it and I think the toms in the breakdown could go away. It might just be that they are a bit loud but I wasn't huge on the offbeat noise that starts at 1:27, I'd probably use a hat instead or just bring it a little lower to blend in the mix a bit more.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Man the kick hits you!

Perhaps it's a bit too clicky.

Something about the kick and the bass and the way they interact, sounds a bit too.... dunno. Not as full as it should be.

The low end is a bit static, kind of like gabba. It takes up a low of room, but is really unchanging. The bass needs addressing.

Other than the low end, it's pretty boss.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Thanks all for the feedback!! I'll rework this as soon as i can.. This week is just too busy..

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I finally had some time, so now, here's a new version. I tried to fix that punch/ sub problem. Kick has now more sub, the bass has less sub to make room. Then some subtle changes were made, like some reverb in the break and little volume changes to the hihats..

Here you go: https://soundcloud.com/rootffm/wild-space-1/s-caL0t

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

I think you shoud try resmpling your kick, something sounds like it's modulating/phasing a bit there, dropping in volume occasionally.Did you perhaps make the sub with a synth with free running osc? Anyway, you could try resampling both and see how that turns out. The low end isn't really well defined like this. Kick also seems to lack some weight/punch btw, layering a punchy kick could also help bringing it together a bit.

Sounds like you could maybe work your percussion a little more sounds a little disjointed at times. The tail of that distorted snare comes though just a tad too long for example.

Adding some more movement in your atmostpheric sounds could also be an improvement, might make the sound a little more dynamic.

The track shows promise, you're got some nice ideas in there. Still needs a bit of work though.
Keep at it!
how far do you want to go

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I agree with the kick comment. Other than that a nice, haunting track. Sounds good.

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Yeah, the kick is a bit too much at the start for me as well. Otherwise, all good!

matt1171
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by matt1171 »

Really like this! And really like the crunchy claps! If I had to say anything it's probably that the swing hats are slightly repetitive and could do with a tiny bit of low mid frequencies taken out and maybe a bit or reverb added - maybe they are just too prominent in the mix. maybe if you just turned them down a bit that could fix it as they are a bit too up front in the mix for me.

I think some kind of abstract vocal shot with long reverb could add come interest to this track.

Cheers

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

i think the atmospheric low mids sound which stays very continuous takes out too much dynamic. you might try to make it a bit less loud / give it more sidechain comp from the kick.

also not a big fan of the snares in the break and the cowbells, they might turn off more puristic dj's.

liking the general atmosphere of the track abnd the distorted lead stab going all over the track.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Thanks all!! So much! I'll work on it again, when i find some time sometime..

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

This reminds me of sawlin & subjected tracks. Really like it. Maybe would use a little tougher kick tho. :)

Neal
fake

Post by Neal »

Like this track man, i think maybe a LITTLE reverb on the hat/shaker and the clap that comes in later, maybe try something else, a different clap or snare. Otherwise pretty killer.