Obtuso - Time Lapse

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
daunzila
arsehole
Obtuso - Time Lapse

Post by daunzila »

Another morning session, trying to hold the reverb abuse i was doing in those first headphone sessions but i think im getting addicted to big doses of reverb...

WTF?!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Obtuso - Time Lapse

Post by dubdub »

The drums feel a bit too thin and brittle compared to the lowend.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

dubdub wrote:The drums feel a bit too thin and brittle compared to the lowend.
Hmmm idk what a could have done here, maybe i could've overdived a bit the drum channel...
WTF?!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I think it just comes down to sound choice, that kind of super high pitched hat just doesn't really fit with the rest of the track.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I really liked the way the track is constantly evolving and how unnoticable it is until you jump from a section to another ! nice job, I just feel it lacks some low end, but maybe this was intentional, and at the end of the track (last 2 seconds) you can hear a high-pitched white noise or something like that, don't know how to describe it, is it there on purpose ?

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

dubdub wrote:I think it just comes down to sound choice, that kind of super high pitched hat just doesn't really fit with the rest of the track.
Yeah, maybe i could've gone with another hat there, maybe a 909 hat could fit the track better, tr8 is fun but sometimes it sucks to have only those sounds, you can get tired of some sounds and dont use then even when theyre the best one to do some job
Amon Derrich wrote:I really liked the way the track is constantly evolving and how unnoticable it is until you jump from a section to another ! nice job, I just feel it lacks some low end, but maybe this was intentional, and at the end of the track (last 2 seconds) you can hear a high-pitched white noise or something like that, don't know how to describe it, is it there on purpose ?
Thanks Amon!
About the high pitched noise in the end, tbh i didnt find it, can you precise where is this?
As this one and most of my stuff, are recorded in one live take it can be some weird cable malfunction or things like that hehehe
WTF?!

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

When you have overdrive on your kick like that, you need to make some space for the harmonics in your mix so it can cut through. You don't have to fill out the track just for the sake of it, as seems to be the case here somewhat with for example that rimshot pattern.

You've got some nice sounds in there, only if you don't multitrack your shit it seems a bit pointless to go on about how to improve it...
As it is now, I wouldn't call it a finished track tbh.
how far do you want to go

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

vo0doo wrote:When you have overdrive on your kick like that, you need to make some space for the harmonics in your mix so it can cut through. You don't have to fill out the track just for the sake of it, as seems to be the case here somewhat with for example that rimshot pattern.

You've got some nice sounds in there, only if you don't multitrack your shit it seems a bit pointless to go on about how to improve it...
As it is now, I wouldn't call it a finished track tbh.
Hmmm about improving the track, in fact i use most of the feedback to improve my skills to the next sessions, im not really worried about having that one perfect track right now, those recordings is a way to track my experiments and own evolution, so in the next sessions, ill keep on trying to make those drived kicks breath a bit more, making space for the harmonics added and things like that, not that if i can do something to make this one better i wont, obviously i will but if is something that that i cant do because the way i can record right now i will save the ideas to the next sessions, my goal is to improve my skill and perception about what im doing, not making that one perfect track

Its in my plans to get a mixer with individual outs and upgrade the shitty audio interface i have to record all the stuff in a multitrack so i can work better on having full finished tracks and maybe try to release then, right now i record and experiment and share the results with friends, sometimes i post them here, so i can learn more in this process, theres tons to learn, forever i guess and this feedback help me a lot
WTF?!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I really like it, but the low end is kinda messy. Sounds like there are things fighting for the same space down there, and as a result nothing really gets though.

Can I hear a tom and a kick and something else there too?

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Nice track. Evolves really well, but might need something more to carry it through and/or maybe have some more peaks & troughs to help maintain interest etc. I agree about the sound choice and also think some sort of overall treatment to glue the sounds together might help.

Obviously recording in one take makes it difficult to do much with this track, but you obviously have the right attitude in terms of wanting to learn from you've done to make future work even better.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

jordanneke wrote:I really like it, but the low end is kinda messy. Sounds like there are things fighting for the same space down there, and as a result nothing really gets though.

Can I hear a tom and a kick and something else there too?
Kromasome wrote:Nice track. Evolves really well, but might need something more to carry it through and/or maybe have some more peaks & troughs to help maintain interest etc. I agree about the sound choice and also think some sort of overall treatment to glue the sounds together might help.

Obviously recording in one take makes it difficult to do much with this track, but you obviously have the right attitude in terms of wanting to learn from you've done to make future work even better.
Thanks Jordan and Kromasome, and yeah, i guess the problem down there is that is too crowded, i have the drived kick, a low tom and a synth doing some kind off bass that really wasnt adding enough to justify it being there :P

Kromasome do ou refer about more peaks & troughs and i remember i was tempted to do that when recording but i thought it was going to kill the kind of slow/subtle evolution i want this one to have, but maybe you're right and more variations could make it more interesting, is hard to balance that, lets keep working on that ;)
WTF?!