Told myself I wouldn't....

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
gavisthename
leper
Re: Told myself I wouldn't....

Post by gavisthename »

I really really enjoyed that! F'ing quality .. had me bobbing all the way through! I don't normally like glitchy stuff, but this was brilliant!

Dirk L
Jan : )

Post by Dirk L »

I enjoyed that too. Listened to it last nite but didnt reply. Savage track. The whole thing is just moving and grooving along non stop.

What is the story with the bass on it? Is it a pattern, or a delay or autopanning or chorus or what. I just couldnt get a fix on it at all. Very impressive. You should try and get this out there. I'd buy that if I heard it on beatport Jamie.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks Dirk!

I'd love to think it'd sell but I need a lot more refinement and control before I'd accept any kind of money for a tune. Haha! Then again, if I continue to think that way, I'll never make anything! Thanks though. The support is tremendous!

The bass is a byproduct of the sound design. It occurred as a result of experimenting with glitch-making techniques combined with effects racks in Ableton. Of course, there were some volume envelopes made to isolate certain beats and frequency ranges, but for the most part the bass is relatively nondescript. Kind of how I like bass anyway... there, but not clear.

J

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

JamieinNC wrote:
The bass is a byproduct of the sound design. It occurred as a result of experimenting with glitch-making techniques combined with effects racks in Ableton. Of course, there were some volume envelopes made to isolate certain beats and frequency ranges, but for the most part the bass is relatively nondescript. Kind of how I like bass anyway... there, but not clear.

J
There's a 101 in how to answer a question without answering a question. Have you ever thought about a career in politics? ;)

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Hah!

Politics and music just don't mix. But I will say that answers found on one's own through experimentation and study are much more likely to be unique and "owned" by the one who experiments and studies! I'm in the process of starting a new track and will make videos along the way for the folks on the site here. I won't be showing how I get sounds or other things I feel are more "my" particular style, if there is such a thing at this point. Rather, I will try to show more "concepts" that one may use to arrive at a solid track they will feel proud of because they did it themselves.

I'm first and foremost a teacher, and quite frankly I think I do my best musical work when I'm trying to show someone else a concept I've learned through experimenting and studying. So I figure it might be an interesting go to see if I can make a really super track as a result of trying to help someone understand certain things I've discovered about the music-making process. For example, as simple as it may sound, I've been concentrating a lot on the division between foreground, middle ground and background. In doing so, I've been able to organize things to sound collectively "better" than stuff I've done before when I wasn't so concerned about such things.

Hopefully, if all goes well and I can actually produce, I'll help people understand some things it took me a while to learn and perhaps gain a terrific track as a byproduct of that endeavor.

J
Johnlad wrote:
JamieinNC wrote:

J
There's a 101 in how to answer a question without answering a question. Have you ever thought about a career in politics? ;)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Concepts are the best. Love tangents.

You can give a child a gun.. but teach him how to make his own weapons & he can kill people for years and years to come ;)

I like it :)

Cant wait Jamie 8-)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

JamieinNC wrote: For example, as simple as it may sound, I've been concentrating a lot on the division between foreground, middle ground and background. In doing so, I've been able to organize things to sound collectively "better" than stuff I've done before when I wasn't so concerned about such things.
This is what I've noticed a lot about tracks, I found that in the more dubby stripped down techno that I tend to listen to and 'try' to produce, this kind of concept is really important. I've been listening closely to all the atmospheres and subtle sweeps that roll off each other and come more into the foreground to introduce say a percussion hit of stab to give the track movement. Due to the nature of the genre, melodies are not as important as they would be in others. I find that grooves and the coloration between them and the background atmospheres/sweeps etc that give it movement and depth are what really make a track. I think I'm starting to understand this process now it's just like you say, experimenting on my own to be able to successfully put it into practice.

That's my opinion on it anyway. I've still got a long way to go to it, but it definitely feels good when you start to understand what is going on.

rollah
beast

Post by rollah »

its strange when you have a sound in your head and try and construct it, then when its out it sounds out of place with the rest. its almost like the opposite of what johnlad said in a way.

when you try and force em sometimes it just wont work. but if you make shit with the idea that its gona play of some other sound, then i find myself gettin there much more quickly. depends but johlad made a good point cos you have to think about the blend dont ya?

Ant
Alf Garnett

Post by Ant »

Jamie - I really like this track, there is so much stuff going on - I've listened to it a few times and more and I've noticed more and more.

Also it is really interesting to hear what you are making, so thanks for sharing. I'm really look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks Ant!

I'm trying to become more prolific as time goes on. I think once I really get my process down, it'll be much more consistent and fluid from track to track.

More to come!

J
Ant wrote:Jamie - I really like this track, there is so much stuff going on - I've listened to it a few times and more and I've noticed more and more.

Also it is really interesting to hear what you are making, so thanks for sharing. I'm really look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Random_Task
fake

Post by Random_Task »

Nice Jamie! Really relaxing stuff, can't wait to hear some more stuff from you!

block.punch
Sith Lord

Post by block.punch »

FINALLY! After watching your tuts and listening to all that good advice, it's great to finally hear one of your productions.

Good, solid minimal tech that. Surprising as I think I'd assumed, given your training, you'd do something with more a melodic base. Enjoyed that a lot Jamie.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks block!

Glad you like it! I'm making good headway on the next one with the tutorial! Practice makes permanent...

J
block.punch wrote:FINALLY! After watching your tuts and listening to all that good advice, it's great to finally hear one of your productions.

Good, solid minimal tech that. Surprising as I think I'd assumed, given your training, you'd do something with more a melodic base. Enjoyed that a lot Jamie.

Aline N
Chernobyl

Post by Aline N »

Dope Track , Great Mixing and some Grooving stuff going on up there. GJ :D

Duffdeal
quasi-public

Post by Duffdeal »

Really funky. I like that - a lot. You will go far if you can keep that standard up.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks guys!

I'm interrupting the videos I'm doing for the new site here to concentrate a bit on the remix competition over at SA. I'm planning some videos for that too...

J