Told myself I wouldn't....

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
JamieinNC
Unartful
Told myself I wouldn't....

Post by JamieinNC »

... But I'm interested in the feedback.

ICN is the only one who has heard this so far and he was more than supportive, so I have more confidence in posting it.

J

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Told myself I wouldn't....

Post by Críoch »

Fair play Jamie - Popped your cherry!

I really like that man.. cant listen to it atm.. did you do anything else with it since the last version you sent?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Nope, once it was finished in my mind, it was finished. I might send stems to my buddy I told you about, but that's only to get a better mix, stereo-field, and mastering job from someone NOT associated with the production... I've trained myself well to just "Put it in the can," as Jonny from Point Blank always said to me...

J

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Really nice that Jamie. Love the glitchy melody and the glitchy kind of effects and atmospheres that tie in with it. Sounds tight!

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks lad!

Glad you like! On to the next... 8-)

J

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

nice one jamie! sounds like something you would get on . 8-)

i love that fucked up synth that sounds confusing but makes sense at the same time. love that type of thing 8-)
the kick is very interesting! has i got a metalic tick on the top?

i dont know if its just me but im hearing more through my left monitor?!? 8-)
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks bud!

Yeah depending upon the system you're listening on, it might bleed through a bit on the left side. I had to play with the sound imaging a bit because my sound design process was a little bit too "down the middle" when everything was said and done and it would have been almost too difficult to fix or do over again. I just decided to chalk that up to experience and fix it the next time I decide to take the same route.

Believe it or not, the kick is just a single sample coming through Ultrabeat. I think it is in the Kick sample folder that comes with Logic's Ultrabeat, if you happen to use Logic. Ultrabeat is awesome. I didn't realize before how versatile it is for creating textures and beats. It could almost be it's own little DAW...

The hardest thing is falling into the trap of trying to put too much stuff in there. I always think I need more stuff going on. This was sort of an experiment in how far I could go with just a few ideas. The original I was going to send ICN before didn't have the screaming synth. It was just the beat with the glitches. So I guess I kinda did fall into the trap of putting "more" into something I thought was ok as is. Haha!

J

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Theres some really fkn nice kicks in Ultrabeat. Theres one in particular, think its round house or something.. and its like E or something. So deep & class.

UB is class full stop. The noise osc's in it are magic. Can make loads of weird things in it. Used to use it for basses.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Agreed. I just rediscovered the wonders of Logic. Amazing how after a few years I seem to understand Logic a lot more after working with both that and Ableton and really learning what all the knobs and effects actually do.

Why don't you use it anymore?

J
ICN wrote:Theres some really fkn nice kicks in Ultrabeat. Theres one in particular, think its round house or something.. and its like E or something. So deep & class.

UB is class full stop. The noise osc's in it are magic. Can make loads of weird things in it. Used to use it for basses.

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

I started on Logic, I love Ultrabeat, I still use it now a bit to make my own kicks and stabby sub basses. The tape delay and delay designer on there are sweet as well. i switched to Ableton because I found that most of the tutorials I was watching applied to Ableton, then the more I got into Ableton I personally found the workflow much easier. Some things that I was doing in Logic could take a while but in Ableton it would take a few clicks.

I keep saying I'll go back to Logic knowing the techniques I know now, and having more experience to take what I've learnt in Ableton and apply it in Logic. Its hard when you get settled in a DAW to move.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Totally!

I think once one gets used to the concepts behind the music making process, any DAW is relatively easy to use. That's what seems to have happened to me. I realized the strengths of each one and now use them in that way. Ableton as a sound design and work-flow DAW is amazing. Logic sounds terrific and has much more reliable sound routing and overall sound-quality capabilities.

Ugh, they both have great things going on...haha! I just like the idea of options.

J

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I moved for the same reason as John

Was just taking ages to do what I wanted in Logic. Hop into live - as John said - just a few clicks.

I loved Logic SO much.. but same as (we could be twins Mate :) ) I feel settled now & dunno if I could go back. Its great, but I've changed.

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Agreed, the concepts are the same, its just a case of finding out the layout an working your way around it. I wish I could just Rewire Ableton into Logic but it will literally cripple my computer with the way I work (serious lack of willingness bouncing things out because I like to be able to tweak in instruments etc as I go along). I need an upgrade but can't afford it at the moment.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Agreed!

I tried to rewire them and quite frankly, it wore down my computer quite a bit and I have an i7 quad-core with 12GB of RAM! Honestly, it's Ableton's fault, because running Logic has caused no adverse effects, like hot heat sinks on the roof of my iMac, strange noises and such emanating from the interior. You know, things like this... Ableton really makes the computer work a lot. I think if they were able to tame the beast a bit, the rewiring business would be more possible for folks with anything less than the latest Mac Pro.

J
Johnlad wrote:Agreed, the concepts are the same, its just a case of finding out the layout an working your way around it. I wish I could just Rewire Ableton into Logic but it will literally cripple my computer with the way I work (serious lack of willingness bouncing things out because I like to be able to tweak in instruments etc as I go along). I need an upgrade but can't afford it at the moment.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Well.. whats the limit on Lives Ram? Its like 3gb or something, isnt it?

Live 9 needs so much stuff like that done to it. Basics.

I cant remember what I have on my quad mac pro.. but its 6 or 8 gb ram or around that.

Nothing was ever an issue in Logic.. but Live does stutter sometimes.

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Yep. I tried running Logic in 64-bit. It worked like a charm, but they still have that pesky AU bridge that only allows one Audio Unit to be open at a time. That is annoying, especially when you are trying to manipulate several effects at once. That's the only thing holding Logic back from being the best 64-bit DAW on the market, IMO.

J
ICN wrote:Well.. whats the limit on Lives Ram? Its like 3gb or something, isnt it?

Live 9 needs so much stuff like that done to it. Basics.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Need to start up a dirty protest :)

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

thats a solid track. really like the arrangement and the twisted synths. the kick, hat and clap work really nice together too.

well done!

JamieinNC
Unartful

Post by JamieinNC »

Thanks Sam!

Have anything out? Love listening to others' work.

J
sam wrote:thats a solid track. really like the arrangement and the twisted synths. the kick, hat and clap work really nice together too.

well done!

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

nah i don't have anything out but i'm working on something which i'll upload soon.

ICN has heard a couple of things i've done and has been very supportive but i'm still pretty green.

next couple of days i'll put something up for criticism :)