Imbibe - illit

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
illit_
Gazza
Imbibe - illit

Post by illit_ »

Been a while since I posted any music, see what ya'll think. Looking for pointers mainly on arrangement I get disillusioned with how the track flows by the end, mixing tips would be appreciated too.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Imbibe - illit

Post by over9000 »

nice!
weird sounds and cool grooves as always from you, you have your signature sound, nice.

Mix feels a bit overcooked, maybe reduce the master saturation a bit?
its also a bit overly dense in the mids, and lacks room and width maybe. But i feel all the elements have their place and are needed, maybe you could eq the fundamentals more carefully?

Really like the big break and drop, this would bang really hard in a club imo good job mate!

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

Hello I like this track, but I can sort of hear why you think something is slightly off in the last 3rd.

Listening again, the trouble seems to start at 3:29, when the hi hat intensifies, - and again (intensifies further) at 3:43. At this point the hi hats seem to almost take over the groove (create a new groove), while the sub/bass/kick somehow looses power. The effect is subtle, but the basic feeling/groove seems to change into something else (a bit like the effect of a DJ mixing into a new track). At 4:27 the groove is back in effect. The ending from there works well on its own, but the preceding development has left the listener slightly disoriented. That's how I hear it, anyway.

It might be enough to simply lower volume of the high hats in the problematic section, or perhaps roll the high off slightly with an EQ. One thing to look out for, is whether the hi hats are loud enough in this part to mess with your mastering limiter/compressor. The hi hats making the limiter pump in a way that counteracts the main groove might be the cause of the problem.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I think I agree with Val on this one - the hats draw a lot of attention, so I would also suggest turning them down a bit.

Besides that - you have a really cool groove going, so this might just be one of those tracks that are very minimalist and that is the perfect form for this track? :)

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

909 ride is to much in the face and harsh... Maybe eq it a bit more to make it softer because the groove itself is interesting and I think it does not need this type of ride to glue the groove. Try to change the pitch of ride in + 12 and just add some 1/16 delay to the open 909 hat...

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Thanks everyone for your pointers and feedback. Hats have been reduced significantly, I like where they sit now. I tried to tidy up and EQ everything a bit better but sadly my laptop really crumbles when revisiting these mixing projects. Lots of group fx which just tank the cpu and make it impossible to do anything worth while!

Here's the adjusted version.

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

The part that stood out fits in much better now. It's a darker mix overall now, but I like it. Very stylish:)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Mix is quite dark, especially the synths. Upper bass area 100-200 feels a touch muddy.

chabo
non reader

Post by chabo »

Great track!

only remak in my book is that there is probably a compressor on the main rasing the volume in the break in a very unpleasent way?!

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

Val Endrada wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:50 am
Listening again, the trouble seems to start at 3:29, when the hi hat intensifies, - and again (intensifies further) at 3:43. At this point the hi hats seem to almost take over the groove (create a new groove), while the sub/bass/kick somehow looses power. The effect is subtle, but the basic feeling/groove seems to change into something else (a bit like the effect of a DJ mixing into a new track).
Totally agree... Can't comment on the mix ATM - listening on old broken hifi speakers :mrgreen: - but else the track works well as far as I'm concerned.
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.