spayne - downstream2

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
speen
unsure
spayne - downstream2

Post by speen »

Hi guys, it's been a while since I have posted a track here and since I commented on your tracks. I will do a round of listening, I already heard some cool stuff.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your feedback on this one:

I think it sounds alright, but I finished it yesterday so my ears can't be trusted at the moment so i'm sure a second version is needed. The sound is 20 years overdue, but hey, that's just what i like..

Val Endrada
Jan : )
Re: spayne - downstream2

Post by Val Endrada »

I think the drive and pummelling is working great here. Pretty intense stuff. I could definitely see sweaty people enjoying this:)

There is a lot of drive/saturation going on, which doesn't leave much room for additional sounds (some sounds are in fact mostly obscured already), but the sound fits the style well. Working with the elements you have, I'd probably want to try adding a slow ascending synth/pad line to contrast the descending (arpeggio) synth pattern in the 2nd half. Like, maybe, something like this (whole notes - 6 bar loop): D F Eb D F C

I do realise, of course, that keeping melodic elements to a minimum, kind of goes with the style.

It's closer to 30 years now, btw - isn't it? :lol:

Thanks!

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

I think this sounds really cool. In contrast to Val, I don't think it would benefit from anything being added, but making the synth sound in the 2nd half more prominent might sound good. Also, are the bass elements high-passed? It feels a bit empty down there at the very bottom.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Yee good crunchy distortion, almost sits in the sweet spot but has mayhaps killed the subs and low mids a tad too much.

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

I like the groove. Only think that felt weird to me (producer mind speaking here) was the hihat straight away. The track builds nicely. I like the upward pitch bending you added. The melody that comes after that is superb. I like the ride's gritty nature...nice dark proper techno.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Dope track!
groove works like a charm

i also think theres too much master sauce (comp/sat)
The rides mask the bleepy snyth a bit imo, there you could work it out with some carefull eqing

nice one

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

Thanks for the nice feedback guys!

I made a bunch of tweaks, nothing major, to incorporate your remarks and some small bits I heard with fresh ears

There is actually not much going on with regards to compression and saturation - just a bit of glue on the master and abletons color limiter. All distortion is coming from mackity on a send bus which I'm not even really pushing that much, I guess it's just a very effective plugin when you send different channels to it.

I edited on headphones, so maybe it got shittier..

new version: