Jordan - Dub-ish

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Jordan - Dub-ish

Post by jordanneke »

Yo, so I continue to spam the thread.........

This started off a techno track, but slowly morphed into a dub track. Yes, know it's not the most original sounding, or well produced.......

I have a couple of specific questions.

How does the low end sound? I did a lot of processing that I don't usually do.

and secondly, the processing on the chord stabs; Does it work?

2latuile
hmmmmmm...
Re: Jordan - Dub-ish

Post by 2latuile »

Disclaimer: I still struggle with low-end so I should probably better shut the fuck up... This being said, while I like the general "character" of it, I can't help but thinking that it could do with a bit more sustain on the sub bass (root dub style) - perhaps more something to do with the part itself than with the sound, actually... Also the subs in general (kick & bass) are perhaps a bit lacking for dub. The stabs echo/filter stuff (if that's what you were talking about) is bordering on messy at times, but as far as I'm concerned it does work. The clap could possibly be just a bit less upfront (a touch of comp and verb should take care of it). Talking about reverb, what strikes me is that it sounds globally quite dry for a dub track, specially when the stabs aren't there.

My 2 cents etc...
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The basic bass sound is fine but it could come up 2-3db db and maybe a nice ~50hz boost... Also you could extend the decay a touch.

The hihat feels a bit dry/vanilla, the transient really sorta dominates the mix.

The stabs work, although they are a touch "cold" sounding, especially with the filter open. They are also filtered a touch too high, imo. Its not like anything else is really taking up the lower midrange.

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

The chord stabs are beautiful.

Like 2latuile said, the bass pressure is often (but not always) heavier in this kind of style. Many of Deepchord's tracks could well be used as a reference if you like (like the "Ultraviolet Music" album, for example).

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks all for the help.

I've treated the bass a bit as suggested. Likewise, with the chords, I tamed them a bit and made them a bit less industrial sounding.

I worked on the hats by increasing the attack on the gate, so the harshness of the transients was softened and added a bit of reverb to them.

I've changed the track in the header. I think it sounds much better now.

Thanks so much.

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:38 am
I think it sounds much better now.
Yes, it sounds very nice now:)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:38 am
Thanks all for the help.

I've treated the bass a bit as suggested. Likewise, with the chords, I tamed them a bit and made them a bit less industrial sounding.

I worked on the hats by increasing the attack on the gate, so the harshness of the transients was softened and added a bit of reverb to them.

I've changed the track in the header. I think it sounds much better now.

Thanks so much.
Definitely sounds much better now!

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

Listening on headphones, but to me the bassline could still be a louder and more present. depending on your taste, but to me that's what should drive the track rather than the stabs.

also maybe it would be worth investigating adding another dub stab for variation. now the stabs are, while very good sounding, mostly in the same frequency and some lower stabs every once in a while could keep things interesting.