Brunswicked (Electronica)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
MonoTeksist
Jan : )
Brunswicked (Electronica)

Post by MonoTeksist »

Exceptional melodic overload this time, controlling the arp by turning it on/off through automation repeatedly (more than I want to remember) was a nightmare I'd rather not relive. :)
It wasn't just "insert note and enable arp" though, lots of notes were used, it was interesting.
Another handy bit is when you stop playing any notes the arp does its own thing.

In the end it was another case of using a bunch of new techniques, something I try to do often.
More like ... with every new project. ;)

You can download if you want (people still do that nowadays?).
"I had a lot of doors slammed in my face." - Joey Beltram

illit_
Gazza
Re: Brunswicked (Electronica)

Post by illit_ »

Ye cool, I like the robotic highend, got that shuffle going good. The lead itself is a bit muddied and probably too loud tbh (if it's intended as a dance track, low end is a bit lost) could be a tad crisper.

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

Nice composition, the arp work is quite good. I'd just second Illit on the lead being a bit muddy, could do with some gentle cleanup in the low mids.
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

One thing is is that there is nothing driving the track forward. Nothing hits enough and signal when to dance.

The drums aren't impactful enough. The industrial kick should poke through the mix and signal the start of a new beat. I would put a bit more emphasis on that.

Have you checked out the compression guide?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I agree with Jordan, the kick doesn't really hit at all.

The arp feels a bit static. There's also a touch too reverb on it, makes the mix feel a bit swampy. Mix overall could be a bit drier.

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist »

Hey thanks for all the tips guys, but I see a problem here.
If I were to implement each and every change, would it not be impossible for the mix to be the way each of you want it to be?
Plus: like I myself want it to be too?

That seems like a very tall order but I'll dive back into it, I already got my "1-song-a-month"-plan sorted for this month.

[edit]
Live 11 acts WEIRD, volumes seem to change as you mix and stuff, wth ...

[edit2]
On the lead I do a filter sweep so is it not normal it sounds muffled in the beginning? If it sounds bright right at the start I got nowhere else to go with it freqsweep-wise.

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist »

I got to study me this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ick+louder

Because when I added compression to the kick, it made it sound SOFTER.
Plus I also can't hear mild changes, I'm technically an old fart already with old ears. :)

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist »

jordanneke wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 pm
One thing is is that there is nothing driving the track forward. Nothing hits enough and signal when to dance.
The drums aren't impactful enough. The industrial kick should poke through the mix and signal the start of a new beat. I would put a bit more emphasis on that.
I don't really aim at music for anything really, most of my current music can't be danced to at all.
I purchased the compression vst and will check out the guide.
Thanks for the tips.

A tip of my own: I usually create a .txt file inside my Live project folder and put stuff like you guys' tips in there.
It's handy to see what you've done/still have to do and you have a visual on your progress which helps staying motivated.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

MonoTeksist wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 pm
jordanneke wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 pm
I don't really aim at music for anything really, most of my current music can't be danced to at all.
I purchased the compression vst and will check out the guide.
Thanks for the tips.

A tip of my own: I usually create a .txt file inside my Live project folder and put stuff like you guys' tips in there.
It's handy to see what you've done/still have to do and you have a visual on your progress which helps staying motivated.
My advice was nothing about being danced to, it was rather based on the fact that there are drums present, and the sole purpose of drums is to be impactful and drive the rhythm.

Maybe try the mix around that industrial kick. Have that running, making sure that you can feel it hitting, maybe evn just by turning it up.

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist »

jordanneke wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:01 pm
My advice was nothing about being danced to, it was rather based on the fact that there are drums present, and the sole purpose of drums is to be impactful and drive the rhythm.
Maybe try the mix around that industrial kick. Have that running, making sure that you can feel it hitting, maybe evn just by turning it up.
Regarding the drums: well I think yes and no, it depends on where you want to put the stress, it shouldn't be ALWAYS the drums when there's no lyrics.
But generally yes, although I've done songs where they weren't too much upfront in the mix.

Yeah I could bring the 2nd kick more forward (I usually use more than 1 but they don't play at the same time), but I'll sink my teeth into that compression guide first.