Contoribillo

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Oktagon
Chernobyl
Contoribillo

Post by Oktagon »

This was a product of my newfound enthusiasm for hardware. Synths are DFAM + Mother 32, drums are all Microtonic (well except the 909 ride) via my Just the Tonic max plugin.

Any thoughts gratefully received...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Contoribillo

Post by dubdub »

Mix is very solid. Kick could go a bit lower in the subs. Topend could use a slight rolloff. Mix overall maybe a touch more saturation, especially on the drums.

Musically, I think it's a bit too slow building. Could also use some extra elements towards the second half, maybe a big pad or something.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

Thanks for the feedback! I find it hard to judge the very low end because my monitors roll off around 50Hz, but I do have a subpac so I'll take a look at it with that. For the topend you think it's too fizzy? I always find my mixes end up sounding dull compared to reference tracks. Will look at the saturation thing, I'm guessing from that you think it's too clean/sterile overall?

Arrangement wise I take your point, it's a bit minimal with the elements but I haven't managed to find something to break it up that works. Will have another think.

redhinge
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by redhinge »

dubdub wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:04 am
Mix is very solid. Kick could go a bit lower in the subs. Topend could use a slight rolloff. Mix overall maybe a touch more saturation, especially on the drums.

Musically, I think it's a bit too slow building. Could also use some extra elements towards the second half, maybe a big pad or something.
+1 to this. It's a solid mix, everything is well-placed, but there isn't a hook or melody that will get me listening multiple times (say, the way I can go back to 'Your Mind' by Adam Sellout & Bart Skils).

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Oktagon wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 am
Thanks for the feedback! I find it hard to judge the very low end because my monitors roll off around 50Hz, but I do have a subpac so I'll take a look at it with that. For the topend you think it's too fizzy? I always find my mixes end up sounding dull compared to reference tracks. Will look at the saturation thing, I'm guessing from that you think it's too clean/sterile overall?

Arrangement wise I take your point, it's a bit minimal with the elements but I haven't managed to find something to break it up that works. Will have another think.
Not necessary fizzy, just a touch bright. FWIW, I also think that a lot of "professional" tracks are mixed way to bright. Yes, I think it's a touch too clean, I think it could be a bit more exciting with a bit more dirt.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Really like it. Definitely got an organic hardware feel and yet you've done a good job on getting the mix clean and powerful. Excellent sounds throughout, which continue to evolve. Tune tells a story. Great job.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

Cloaked wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 pm
Really like it. Definitely got an organic hardware feel and yet you've done a good job on getting the mix clean and powerful. Excellent sounds throughout, which continue to evolve. Tune tells a story. Great job.
Thanks, that's much appreciated!