Obtuso - Time Adjustment

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
daunzila
arsehole
Obtuso - Time Adjustment

Post by daunzila »

Another one, im not realy sure about the mix, i like it on the headphones but when i got to the speakers it feels like it doesnt have enough high frequencies...
idk, i will apreciate some feedback on this one

https://soundcloud.com/obtuso_music/tim ... nt/s-c1xoC

pvt link again :P
WTF?!

Dust Layer
leper
Re: Obtuso - Time Adjustment

Post by Dust Layer »

I'm listening, maybe it lacks a bit of brightness yes but not too much.
Good track i like the atmosphere and pads!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Dust Layer wrote:I'm listening, maybe it lacks a bit of brightness yes but not too much.
Good track i like the atmosphere and pads!
I agree. The mix is 'muted' if that is the correct word? It needs to be brighter. The mix is not crisp enough

The pads, are they reverbed a lot? I think some more EQ of some of the lower freqs perhaps? I don't really know though.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Thanks a lot @Dust Layer and @jordanneke, ill work on EQ and maybe some saturation and distortion/overdrive here and there to bright things up a bit, tommorrow ill post the results :)
WTF?!

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

i just saw that i havent responded you jordan about the pads,
they have some reverb yes, but not that much...
anyway, i worked in a new mix, here it is

https://soundcloud.com/obtuso_music/tim ... nt/s-7C5vN

if any of you have time ill apreciate :)
WTF?!

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Seems better yes, i like this kind of design.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

It sounding better for sure.

But I think the bass is mixed too high, it takes up a lot of room from the kick.

The main thing now is the lead. It still needs to cut through more, it's still kind out woolly. The two leads, the evolving one and the stabby one need to sit in their own space more. I'd overdrive the top end of one a little, and eq them both carefully.

The evolving pad, are there two there?

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

jordanneke wrote:It sounding better for sure.

But I think the bass is mixed too high, it takes up a lot of room from the kick.

The main thing now is the lead. It still needs to cut through more, it's still kind out woolly. The two leads, the evolving one and the stabby one need to sit in their own space more. I'd overdrive the top end of one a little, and eq them both carefully.

The evolving pad, are there two there?
Yes, i think the bass and the kick are too in your face in the mix too, sometimes i try to be so subtle with the more melodic parts... then add this to the obsession we(in technoland i guess) had with the kick/bass/sub and we got this kind of tooo quiet mix hehehe

And yes again, you're spot on, theres 2 synths blending into that evolving pad, i did some eq on everything, overdrive and even some layering with the stabby one, kinda liked how it goes now, last mix session on this one, for this week at least, my gf will kill me if she had to listen this one again hahahaha

but maybe next week i can rework this one... boy, we could really be obsessed with a track dont we?

https://soundcloud.com/obtuso_music/tim ... nt/s-9W0Or

Thanks again @Dust Layer and @jordanneke youre guys have been really helpfull here :)
WTF?!

modfreq
fancy woman

Post by modfreq »

I'm trying to get time adjusted! Link fail though.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

modfreq wrote:I'm trying to get time adjusted! Link fail though.
Damn, i hate when this happens, try this one maybe it can put your clock on time now hehe

WTF?!

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

Sounds a lot like something John Digweed would have played in the back end of the 90's. Which may or not be a good thing depending on your own frame of reference. I think the prominent bass and deep pads really have the prog vibe.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Hi, thanks Opna, i guess... tbh i dont really know much about John Digweed hahaha

but anyway, thanks for your time to listen :)
WTF?!

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

not sure how i missed this for a while but it is tops!

really nice stuff! on headphones at work so i cant really comment on the mix but from an arrangement perspective only thing would be maybe a little more layers on some of the pad work and efx. give it a really deep treatment . like a slow softer pad going over the top of everything

but thats a personal thing .

modfreq
fancy woman

Post by modfreq »

Soundcloud is fucking lame. Link is dead again =\.

So I went for a Space Ride instead. I enjoyed it so much I think I'll let the rest of your SC tracks playout while I finish up some work.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Nice vibe, lovely and chilled - I think i could take a few things away from this and try to make my tracks flow a bit more effortlessly like this (not saying you didn't put in a lot of effort, but it just comes across as something that just flows).

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

daunzila wrote:
Damn, i hate when this happens, try this one maybe it can put your clock on time now hehe

Great work
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

I got sucked in a job project for some time, so sorry for the late reply people
TvSkY wrote:not sure how i missed this for a while but it is tops!

really nice stuff! on headphones at work so i cant really comment on the mix but from an arrangement perspective only thing would be maybe a little more layers on some of the pad work and efx. give it a really deep treatment . like a slow softer pad going over the top of everything

but thats a personal thing .

Oh thanks man :D

I think youre right about this, listening again after some time out i think it can really could have more movement and maybe layering is the way to go, ill go back to this project for sure, thanks for this, and i think i could improve the stabby synth too, but no idea what ill do there, maybe more movement with the delay there...

Kromasome wrote:Nice vibe, lovely and chilled - I think i could take a few things away from this and try to make my tracks flow a bit more effortlessly like this (not saying you didn't put in a lot of effort, but it just comes across as something that just flows).
I think i get what you mean, thanks a lot, in this one i was after this kinda of slow and easy going feel so i guess it kinda works hehe
Merah wrote:
daunzila wrote:

Great work
Many thanks Merah!
WTF?!

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Oh and thank you too Modfreq!
Glad you liked that space ride track, i recorded that one live and is one of my favorites from the last few months :)
in fact i was so fucking high when recorded that one that i was really surprised when i hear the recording, it make me thinking if i should do more live sessions high as fuck like that day hahaha
WTF?!

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I can definitely understand that John Digweed comment, sounds quite a bit like the prog they used to play back then.

However, if it was my track, I'd do a few things:

- The shaker sound and pattern is nice, but I'd either do some busier variations of it or introduce some sort of hihats halfway through, to make the the track feel like it's changing gears. Now it just chugs nicely for the duration, with no change in energy level.

-I'd change the main chord pattern and sound a bit. Maybe make it a tad brighter as it's a bit buried at the moment and as it (IMO) was the main musical element of the track, it needs more presence. Maybe change the notes of the chord progression a bit too, it was nice but not great.

Otherwise it's nice and smooth!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/