Stace
Classical Approach
The Diplomacy Of Decline

Post by Stace »

TvSkY
Paul Gadd
Re: The Diplomacy Of Decline

Post by TvSkY »

improving! I like the riff in this , i think it could do with some changes , maybe change up the riff half way through , some FM or something to change the tone . tweak it!

also needs some major mid and highs , can hardly hear the mids .

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Thankies lovely :)

Yes, I agree. I was playing around with it last night and don't have anything that I am happy with yet. I think FM is the way to go though :)

Hmm, I am rubbish at mids for some reason but there is a massive gap there :)

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

what are you using for monitors , whats the room like ?

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Normally my D5's. I made that last thing on the speakers in the room with all the decks and stuff when I was having a mix the other day.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`ll stay away from commenting too much on the subjectives of the musicality etc, my taste in music is not helpful.. I like it though, very laid back.

Mix-wise, this is quite strange. The kick is loud and present (maybe a little boxy, could do with a touch more size in the lows) the rest of the mix sounds like it is in a different room, apart from the bass, which sits pretty well.

So this is partly an issue of mix bias, the mids and highs need to come up a touch, but it`s also an issue of sound size.
The hats are quite thin, the claps sit waaaay back and the ambience stuff could be wider.
The main riff could come up a touch (the percussive one note riff) and has a nice tone that works well.

I would say you could drop the kick in level by 4db, maybe more, then bring the whole mix up in level, push the ambience a little wider, reinforce the top end (hats etc) either by use of compression/saturation, or back them up with some thicker sounds, and finally when bringing everything up, watch the level of that main riff part as it could get over resonant in the mix, needing to come up less than the other elements.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

TvSkY, I was not using my normal room. I was using the dangerous combination of still being awake from the night before, really fucking pissed and on speakers I didn't know, in a huge roomy mezzanine. While, at the same time, trying to keep it quiet so I wouldn't wake anyone up.
I normally use my D5's in a treated room, the treatment isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than it was before.

Thank you Steve :)

I think I had got myself so worried with everything being too loud, I have gone totally the other way with my mix. Not to mention I was in an cautious state when I was making it anyway, so it will have only exasperated any trepidation on my part.
I had stated adding some compression to parts and it already sounded better for it.
The kick is way too out there, I am not massively happy with it but it doesn't have my normal issue with the bass. It just sounds boxy, as you say.

I'll make some changes this weekend, sober and on my normal set up :)

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Really like the overall feel. Seems like a few elements have been buried a little bit too much. I like the sound of the rides (bit weird, I know) but just wonder if there could be a few different methods for bringing them in and taking them out (filter in maybe and delay/reverb out). Just a couple of thoughts while listening and watching the Tour de France.

Always makes me want to start making tunes when I listen to yours (shame I'm down to 10% battery and I'm too lazy to plug the ac in, might get a few minutes out of it).

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Pretty much what's been said before.

Nice track.

I'd do two things.

1 - Put a limiter on the master, just to bring up the volume, not so much that it's clipping, just so it can be listened to louder, and if it gets mastered, then you can just turn the limiter off and keep all the headroom. (unless Steve or Mattias says this is full of shit)

2 - Mix occasionally at very very low volumes.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Thanks J :)

Sorry, didn't see this as not been around these parts much. I had a little break from making stuff for a while but I am going to come back to this track this weekend. I think I might actually put it proper on my Soundcloud when it is done :)

On the newer version of this I had been mixing at very low volumes as I read somewhere else on here that it is a good thing to do. I also read making sure you are producing at the same volume is very important so I have been trying to do that as well :)

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

I like this one, the mix is not perfect but the track is nice.
I think it's the one i prefer of all i've heard from you.