medium room techno

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
willemb
Mild
medium room techno

Post by willemb »

Something I'm working on, I think its pretty much finished now. Its 125 bpm techno with a big kick and slightly more driving than some of my other recent tracks. Its got a big kick, but too much stuff going on to be totally big room.

Last night it was just another project which I was sort of stuck with, it had some cool aspects, but the arrangement wasn't really going anywhere, and I didn't know what to add or take away. My effects chains were rather full and heavy as well, so I bounced out all the tracks and imported them all as audio to a new project. I then re-leveled and eq'd it all, and started chopping the audio to adjust the arrangement a bit, and now I feel like its become quite a good and exciting track!

One thing I am sort of struggling with a little bit is the kick vs the rest of the track. I might end up trying to sidechain everything to make the kick more the centre of attention than it already is.

https://soundcloud.com/willemb/willem-b ... st/s-3zdMw

mattie
refusenik
Re: medium room techno

Post by mattie »

Hello Willemb,solid work.The sound that is introduced @ .35 runs a bit too high in volume for me over the arrangement,also some modulation to make it shift around more may be worth experimenting with.May or may be useful to you.

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

May or may not be useful to you, I meant to type

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks mattie, I see what you mean, I was trying lots of different volumes for this channel and you might well be right. However in the end I just pushed the volume up, because I kind of like it when its high, harsh and loud, the torture of it makes me gurn and pull mean faces when I'm sober.

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

I like it, but I think your sidechain-idea might be good to give the kick even more power. A thing which I do often, is to sidechain everything by the kickdrum (with only a tiny amount of gr) with a ssl comp emu on the masterbus. For me it´s the best comp for this tasks...but listening to your stuff, I think you will find a way to put your Kick in the foreground :) peace

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks Barskiniov... but SSL Comp Emu? Isn't that LOADS O MONEY?

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

mmmh you use logic right? because I think in ableton 9 they have the "Glue" comp integrated which models an ssl com I think. But you can buy it for 77 Euros for any DAW...at the moment I demo the native instruments ssl comp which you can buy for 100 and I really like it...You can test the comp for 30 mins each time, so actually you can see if it suits you on the masterbus...peace

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

Dude I'm not here to offer criticism or anything, I'm just here to say that this track is fucking sick keep on jamming dawg

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks mint clad :)

Barskiniov - I've adjusted the kick / mix a bit, and included it on an EP i just put on my bandcamp:

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5083