dubdub - untitled ambient 620

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
dubdub - untitled ambient 620

Post by dubdub »

I've been making a bunch of ambient tracks lately but haven't really posted any of them here. Here's one I made yesterday/today after being inspired by a nice ambient track on the latest Daniel Avery EP. The pads were all made from resampled reverb and there's a lot of volume automation going on to get a sort of flowing feel where elements flow in and out of the mix slightly.

RWise
durchfall
Re: dubdub - untitled ambient 620

Post by RWise »

Very nice piece. Love moody soundtrack-esc ambient pieces like this. Makes me feel like im in a scene of some gritty-urban drama. :lol:

Easy on the noise/rain effect though. Its an easy ambient cliche to do that can make things sound a bit tacky.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Sorry, I had actually uploaded the wrong version. I put the new one online. Not a huge difference but it's a bit wider and has more space.

The noise is mostly there because I needed something to fill up the high frequencies :lol:

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

If im making ambient stuff or a track a lot of filter elements, sometimes i just like to run the track through my mixer and boost the hell outta the high shelf. I find that it can bring up a lot of pleasant noise from different elements and fills up the high frequency spectrum without the need of adding external noise.

Try it out with a good quality eq and you might get some nice results.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

RWise wrote:If im making ambient stuff or a track a lot of filter elements, sometimes i just like to run the track through my mixer and boost the hell outta the high shelf. I find that it can bring up a lot of pleasant noise from different elements and fills up the high frequency spectrum without the need of adding external noise.

Try it out with a good quality eq and you might get some nice results.
thats a good idea, will try thx

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

nice and flowing ambient track. sounds good!
but id really do something with that noise, its way too obvious.
lower it in volume or add it to a bus and compress it together with other elements maybe?

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Link dead here too am I too late for the fucking party?!

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

SHIDZO wrote:Link dead here too am I too late for the fucking party?!
New link in the 3rd message from dubdub in the thread ^^^

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

RWise wrote:
SHIDZO wrote:Link dead here too am I too late for the fucking party?!
New link in the 3rd message from dubdub in the thread ^^^
Being able to read is always good... Thanks!

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Everything has been said... Would have pointed out the noise/rain as well, apart from that it's really nice, reminds me of that Skalar stuff which is on in Berlin atm, really cool. The end is a bit abrupt, could work on it a little more and fade it nice. Cheerio

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I like this and listen to a lot of this type of stuff when I don't want to think.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cheers guys!
over9000 wrote:nice and flowing ambient track. sounds good!
but id really do something with that noise, its way too obvious.
lower it in volume or add it to a bus and compress it together with other elements maybe?
There's some sidechain compression on the noise and also a compressor on the master. There's two noises, a white noise kinda sweep and a pitched down more crackly noise. The white noise sweep could be 2-3 db quieter, maybe.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Sup with the link famalam? I want to listen.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

StacieAnne wrote:Sup with the link famalam? I want to listen.
Link is in the third post, how did you manage to scroll all the way down to make a reply without seeing it? :D

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

dubdub wrote:
Link is in the third post, how did you manage to scroll all the way down to make a reply without seeing it? :D
:lol: I'd not had a brew by that point.

I shouldn't try and do anything pre-brew. Lesson learnt.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

That's gorgeous Dubdub. It kept me interested and I didn't get bored. I like the fizzy sound to it and the way it seems to breathe (how did you do that?) is it just an element of it?
It seems to "peak" at 4:04 and that's really nice and seems to be exactly the right place to do so :)

Lovely work :mrgreen:

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

dubdub wrote:
How did YOU manage not so see that I asked the same question yesterday :P

there is clearly something wrong with you people this thread is basically a mess :D

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

StacieAnne wrote:That's gorgeous Dubdub. It kept me interested and I didn't get bored. I like the fizzy sound to it and the way it seems to breathe (how did you do that?) is it just an element of it?
It seems to "peak" at 4:04 and that's really nice and seems to be exactly the right place to do so :)

Lovely work :mrgreen:
Thanks! The "breathing" is something I've been working on consciously in my ambient tracks and it's a combination of a number of things.

- subtle volume automation of the single elements throughout the track so everything fades in and out a bit
- lots of subtle automation on all the FX in general
- filters with unsynced LFOs on many elements, especially automated HPFs and BPFs can really pull elements in and out of the mix
- generous master bus compression so everything pumps a it (I think with kick-less tracks you can push it a bit further because you can't mess up the kick-bass relationship)
- subtly sidechaining different elements to one another so they start moving in relation
- this thing is genius if you use it subtly - https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/effec ... etro_color